Headlight downgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone! My 06 headlights are slightly faded and I really don't care for the way they look anyway. Does anyone happen to know if I can "down grade" to the early 100 series glass type headlights without any modifications? Thanks!

Hi everyone! My 06 headlights are slightly faded and I really don't care for the way they look anyway. Does anyone happen to know if I can "down grade" to the early 100 series glass type headlights without any modifications? Thanks!

What's faded? The lens, or the interior reflectors? You can wetsand the acrylic lens with 2000 grit sand paper and buff it with compound, will look like new. Doesn't make sense to go back to the pre 06 lights, connection points will be different.

Yeah, just the outside. I know you can treat the fading, I just like the glass lenses better. What connection points are you saying are different? The mounting points or electrical?

I understand why manufacturers went with plastic but it really sucks. Wife’s 2010 Honda are faded and ungly. Yet the 20 year old cruiser is perfect.

3M makes a nice kit you can use to clean them up if you want. Used it before and came out great. They also sell the replacement pads which is nice.

The mounting points, where it meets the grill and bumper stay will be different i recon. You can ghetto rig it, but it won't look as good. The one piece headlights are very attractive and sought after, i recommend just wetsanding and buffing it. Then you can seal it with a clear coat so it won't haze again.

Mine are acrylic lens, after polishing they look good.

40067800681_a1014cfb81_h.jpg

Glass is no longer available.

Depo plastic seems to be a popular alternative.

Check Ebay for the Depo glass replacement.

Rechelon Aesthetics used to be a solution but it looks like they are no longer.

having new 06 specific depos are nice, even if you get aggressive with polishing kits, using another step down in sandpaper grade for the first sand, they still don't look as good as new depos. I think I started with 400, don't quote me. I found some on ebay that were a lot cheaper than the one piece group buy the <2005 guys were buying. They are 06 and 07 specific, and they are harder to find. I do not think there is a glass replacement for >2006.
If you have broken tabs already that makes it easier. The black stripe on the inside of the plastic at the edges gets faded also and doesn't look good. Add all that up and it gets easier to just buy new ones. for me at least. I think I got lucky, I paid $100 for a pair. OO , and you get new adjusters that are all smooth and easy to turn. haha, any excuse to spend
old pic

IMG_20170403_130052.jpg

you can buy the thin yellow film. Sand them down and polish and apply. If you want the ones in the pic I'm not using them. I have a different bumper now. 40 shipping included. I'd need to dig them out and make sure they are good to go.

If you're going to sand and buff the lenses, you should either have a bodyshop clearcoat them or install some PPF to protect from future yellowing/oxidation/chipping. Well worth the money.

Headlight Protection Kits - XPEL

Use toothpaste and a cotton cloth to clear the lens. I heard someone used brake oil/fluid to clean the lens (Don't get brake fluid on the paint)

Headlights on the 06-07 are not the same size/shape as the 98-05 headlights. You would need to find an 03-05 grille and lower valance to swap. Look up headlight swap to 06-07, some guys have converted to the 06-07 front. If you find the threads on then you will see what is involved, but you would be reversing the process.

having new 06 specific depos are nice, even if you get aggressive with polishing kits, using another step down in sandpaper grade for the first sand, they still don't look as good as new depos. I think I started with 400, don't quote me. I found some on ebay that were a lot cheaper than the one piece group buy the <2005 guys were buying. They are 06 and 07 specific, and they are harder to find. I do not think there is a glass replacement for >2006.
If you have broken tabs already that makes it easier. The black stripe on the inside of the plastic at the edges gets faded also and doesn't look good. Add all that up and it gets easier to just buy new ones. for me at least. I think I got lucky, I paid $100 for a pair. OO , and you get new adjusters that are all smooth and easy to turn. haha, any excuse to spend
old pic

View attachment 1630439

That retrofit looks great mate, what projectors do you have in them?

Thanks

They are mini D2S, but I paid someone else to do it. I didnt want the burden of opening new headlights.

There are options available at nearly every price point. This is definitely on of those situations where more $ will lead to more desirable options.

$- Polish the headlights. This works well. The issue is that the UV clear coat is gone so you will only get about 6 months before they yellow.
$$- Replace with aftermarket headlights or try refinishing your current headlights
$$$- Replace with factory headlights
$$$$- Use as an excuse to replace the headlights and upgrade to HID bulbs. This is simply awesome.

Wetsanding plastic to remove the dead layer works great. Start with 400-600 and work up to 3000 grit. Plastic will appear etched until you apply plastic polish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom