What do you think of this 80 series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Will Van

GOLD Star
Threads
Not crazy about the caved in rear hatch. Is he asking too much?

1994 Toyota Land Cruiser

00N0N_fKfQBGjz0uF_600x450.jpg

00303_c2fTNXVwuAB_600x450.jpg

The caved in tailgate helps distract from the horrible burgundy color.

I wouldn't pay that..........Unless I got 54 Grand for mine......:rofl:

Unless that has a laundry list of recent work (able rebuild, etc.), I'd call that a $2500 rig. I'm sure tailgates are pretty cheap at the wrecking yards, and it needs a repaint anyway, so that's not a big deal in my book.

The full-Time 4WD emblem is in the wrong place on the tail gate.....Why is that?:hmm:

+1 for using the phrase "whiskey dents" in the listing, but beyond that, I dunno. You are just looking for a carcass so you can do the diesel swap, right?

Seems like you should be able to find a truck with a blown motor for less than that. Have you tried Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

You might be able to spot something in a boneyard somewhere that would be much less expensive that would meet your needs.

Yeah, that's sorta what I thought - overpriced. I already told the seller I was going to pass...but then I started second guessing myself.

I'm vacillating on the diesel swap. I think it's smarter to buy a clean FJZ80 and drive it for a while, rather than immediately tear it apart to swap in a diesel.

The caved in tailgate helps distract from the horrible burgundy color.

I'd take any color as long as the truck is clean.

...Except green with a home-painted hood/roof. That would look hideous. :flipoff2::rofl::beer:

I'm vacillating on the diesel swap. I think it's smarter to buy a clean FJZ80 and drive it for a while, rather than immediately tear it apart to swap in a diesel.

I've seen more or less pristine 80s with blown engines in the $900 - $1500 range in Oregon and Washington. If you actually wanted to do a swap, you should be able to find something under $2k.

This is the smartest thing you’ve posted. It’s a ton of work and time unless you are paying someone to do it. If you are paying someone to do it then you can afford to pay them to find you a clean 80.

I'd take any color as long as the truck is clean...Except green with a home-painted hood/roof. That would look hideous. :flipoff2::rofl::beer:
I’m well aware of how awful mine it. As I’ve said all along “the goal is to make it look less sh!tty!” You should’ve seen it before!:rofl:

Yeah, that's sorta what I thought - overpriced. I already told the seller I was going to pass...but then I started second guessing myself.

I'd take any color as long as the truck is clean.

...Except green with a home-painted hood/roof. That would look hideous. :flipoff2::rofl::beer:

I think you are on the right track now. I think we all like the idea of certain diesel swaps for these rigs, but honestly, the 1FZ-FE is a damn good motor and it works really well for these trucks. People complain about the lack of neck snapping pickup, but at least for me, the novelty of that wore off a along time ago and even if it hadn't I would be looking at a different type of vehicle if I wanted to go fast. The MPGs of the gas 80 do leave a little to be desired, but if that would be the reason for doing swap I am pretty sure you could buy thousands of gallons of premium no ethanol gas for the cost of the swap and you would still be buying plenty of diesel.

Add to that the headaches of trying to get all the electronics to work with the swap and I just think it becomes a lot less appealing. I see plenty of diesel swap threads that say things along the lines of, "I am not sure how I am going to get such and such system to function, but I will figure it out." and then the thread seems to die and the swap is never completed.

Find a nice 80 that fits your budget and just enjoy it for what it is. If you get the itch to do a swap, there will still be plenty of options for you down the road.

This is the smartest thing you’ve posted. It’s a ton of work and time unless you are paying someone to do it. If you are paying someone to do it then you can afford to pay them to find you a clean 80.

I’m well aware of how awful mine it. As I’ve said all along “the goal is to make it look less sh!tty!” You should’ve seen it before!

I think the "engine swap" temptation is common for new enthusiasts. At least it's not an LS-swap into a mint 40 series. That would be tragic!

I really like your '93, actually. Hope you get motor worked out.

I've seen more or less pristine 80s with blown engines in the $900 - $1500 range in Oregon and Washington. If you actually wanted to do a swap, you should be able to find something under $2k.

All of the good ones are in the West. Cali, Oregon, or Washington State.

I think you are on the right track now. I think we all like the idea of certain diesel swaps for these rigs, but honestly, the 1FZ-FE is a damn good motor and it works really well for these trucks. People complain about the lack of neck snapping pickup, but at least for me, the novelty of that wore off a along time ago and even if it hadn't I would be looking at a different type of vehicle if I wanted to go fast. The MPGs of the gas 80 do leave a little to be desired, but if that would be the reason for doing swap I am pretty sure you could buy thousands of gallons of premium no ethanol gas for the cost of the swap and you would still be buying plenty of diesel.

Add to that the headaches of trying to get all the electronics to work with the swap and I just think it becomes a lot less appealing. I see plenty of diesel swap threads that say things along the lines of, "I am not sure how I am going to get such and such system to function, but I will figure it out." and then the thread seems to die and the swap is never completed.

Find a nice 80 that fits your budget and just enjoy it for what it is. If you get the itch to do a swap, there will still be plenty of options for you down the road.

Regardless of whether I decide to do a diesel swap, I think it makes the most sense to buy a clean truck to start out with, and drive it for a while.

I'm not really looking for neck-snapping acceleration, but more low-RPM torque and better fuel range. Anyone who does a diesel swap with the intention of recouping their costs through fuel-savings, isn't analyzing it correctly. The advantage of a diesel is the torque curve and the fuel-tank range. Plus, if geared properly, you should be able to crawl over anything at idle. Just put the truck in 1st gear 4 low, lock the diffs, and start Land Crushing.

I also hear what you guys are saying about the cost of the swap, plus the additional headaches. Micah at Classic Cruisers in Colorado is coming out with an 80 series 6BT/NV4500 swap kit for the DIYer (similar to the Duiser kit, but you'll actually receive it). It works with the OEM 80 series transfer case and doesn't require a massive lift to fit the 6BT. Basically, buy the kit, locate a donor 6BT/NV4500, work your ass off in the garage, and you've got a diesel 80 series. It includes accommodations for A/C & heat, fuel, power steering, gauges, intake, intercooler/piping, accessory mounts, radiator/cooling, wiring harness/electronics, TC adapter, etc.

That's the only way I could afford to do the swap.

This is the only color that I haven’t own yet and would like to build one. One of the harder colors to get besides the blue.

As long as it were mechanically tight......
Year with the best tranny, dash, ob1, cloth (100lbs lighter), grill, etc.

I almost just bought one (same color) for $5000. But I’m in an area where my house is about a million dollars and I don’t know why. Everyone just overpays for everything over here.

I think the "engine swap" temptation is common for new enthusiasts. At least it's not an LS-swap into a mint 40 series. That would be tragic!

I really like your '93, actually. Hope you get motor worked out.

All of the good ones are in the West. Cali, Oregon, or Washington State.

Regardless of whether I decide to do a diesel swap, I think it makes the most sense to buy a clean truck to start out with, and drive it for a while.

I'm not really looking for neck-snapping acceleration, but more low-RPM torque and better fuel range. Anyone who does a diesel swap with the intention of recouping their costs through fuel-savings, isn't analyzing it correctly. The advantage of a diesel is the torque curve and the fuel-tank range. Plus, if geared properly, you should be able to crawl over anything at idle. Just put the truck in 1st gear 4 low, lock the diffs, and start Land Crushing.

I also hear what you guys are saying about the cost of the swap, plus the additional headaches. Micah at Classic Cruisers in Colorado is coming out with an 80 series 6BT/NV4500 swap kit for the DIYer (similar to the Duiser kit, but you'll actually receive it). It works with the OEM 80 series transfer case and doesn't require a massive lift to fit the 6BT. Basically, buy the kit, locate a donor 6BT/NV4500, work your ass off in the garage, and you've got a diesel 80 series. It includes accommodations for A/C & heat, fuel, power steering, gauges, intake, intercooler/piping, accessory mounts, radiator/cooling, wiring harness/electronics, TC adapter, etc.

That's the only way I could afford to do the swap.

I know it was stupid to do the LS swap. I’m the first to admit it.

I’ve put 15k+ on my motor since it started ticking. Just rolled 350k. I’m in no hurry to do anything. It won’t die. Just keeps chugging along.

There are a couple of guys that have done the diesel swap that swear by it. There are dozens that never got dialed in.

I just don’t see the fascination with it. Fuel range has never been an issue for me. I just carry spare fuel. To me I’d rather have the reliability of Mr. T than anything else. But to each their own.

20170316_161101.jpg
Don't do a Cummins swap until you have driven one. You may not like the way they sound, feel and act. B series Cummins engines rattle like a coffee can full of marbles and are not happy above 2,500 rpm.
I've owned one for 29 years.

View attachment 1630285 Don't do a Cummins swap until you have driven one. You may not like the way they sound, feel and act. B series Cummins engines rattle like a coffee can full of marbles and are not happy above 2,500 rpm.

I've owned one for 29 years.

Haha, I actually already own a 2002 Dodge 3500HD with the 24-valve 6BT and a 6-speed. The way they sound, feel, and act is badass IMHO. It's like driving a diesel tractor, which I like a lot.

That double cab long bed Dodge is awesome! You have great taste in vehicles!!!

That is a hand-built one-of-one first Gen crew cab

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom