FJ62 vs. a bull in Peru of all countries... (spoiler: bull dies) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,

Just uploading this because I thought some of you might like it.

I am lucky enough to have the time and money to travel from Los Angeles to Argentina in my FJ62 with my girl. Two nights ago we hit a bull which the owner was dragging through a city area. It went crazy and ran across the road, not leaving us time to stop.

So the bull became cruiserfood and died. My cruiser on the other hand... It had the front bended enough to push the bearing arm of the radiator enough back so that the fan was touching the drive belts. Thinking it couldn't get any worse, we got help from some locals and tied the front of the car with a chain to another Toyota, and pulled back out again. I have videos of it on this blogpost on the link below. Thought some of you might enjoy it. The video is in the bottom.

That Time When Our Cruiser Killed A Bull In Peru

todo bien amigo. Cruise on!

Thanks for sharing the write up and photos. Driving after dark is definitely a risky proposition. On the Alaska/Canada highway it's moose and the occasional bison to beware of.
Gotta think an ARB would have been useful in such an encounter.

Major bummer with the collision. If it's any consolation, adventures with law enforcement don't start in Peru, it starts south of San Diego CA.

In most , if not all US states, if you hit a cow, you pay for it entirely.
My neighbor recently hit a cow here in Arizona. It turned out to be pregnant. He got double charged.
In fairness, the cow is now yours to do with what you like. Brandon butchered it and has meat for the year

Crazy. Are used parts cheap down their? If you could find a fj62 you could rob the hood and other body parts.

If you favor the round headlight look, this could be the time to obtain FJ//BJ60 core support, headlight buckets, valance and grille.

In most , if not all US states, if you hit a cow, you pay for it entirely.
My neighbor recently hit a cow here in Arizona. It turned out to be pregnant. He got double charged.
In fairness, the cow is now yours to do with what you like. Brandon butchered it and has meat for the year
Not in Texas. I hit your cow on the road, The last thing Im doing is paying for it. I read this thread and thought, how in the hell did he hit a bull period. I do a pretty good job of dodging whitetail at 70mph(at night on county roads), a bull at 25 miles an hour in town would be hard to do, but ive seen crazier things happen. This sucks for Frkens, I hope he gets it figured out. When in Peru you gotta play by their rules, kinda like mexico.

Sucks you wrecked your 62. Glad you got off so cheap, and not being carted off to jail.

In Texas, if you hit any livestock, you are paying for it, even if it got out of the fence and ran in front of you. That bull was probably a few folks lively hood as well. Being a guest in their country you don’t have the same rights as you would be afforded in the US, we need keep that in mind when traveling in other countries. The bull owner paying to fix your truck is comical at best. Fair? Not by our standards, but they don’t have the standards. I was honestly surprised you got off as easy as you did. But like you said, traveling at night is not a good idea. There are too many risks to do it unless it’s and emergency.
Good luck in your travels, many of us are jealous of what you are doing!

Not in Texas. I hit your cow on the road, The last thing Im doing is paying for it. I read this thread and thought, how in the hell did he hit a bull period. I do a pretty good job of dodging whitetail at 70mph(at night on county roads), a bull at 25 miles an hour in town would be hard to do, but ive seen crazier things happen. This sucks for Frkens, I hope he gets it figured out. When in Peru you gotta play by their rules, kinda like mexico.

Actually Texas is an open range state..

https://agrilife.org/texasaglaw/2014/05/19/texas-fence-law-open-range-or-not-part-1/
0915pc_keyes_map.jpg

Not all states will require you to reimburse the owner of the cow but in these states you can't recover damages from the rancher

Sucks you wrecked your 62. Glad you got off so cheap, and not being carted off to jail.

In Texas, if you hit any livestock, you are paying for it, even if it got out of the fence and ran in front of you. That bull was probably a few folks lively hood as well. Being a guest in their country you don’t have the same rights as you would be afforded in the US, we need keep that in mind when traveling in other countries. The bull owner paying to fix your truck is comical at best. Fair? Not by our standards, but they don’t have the standards. I was honestly surprised you got off as easy as you did. But like you said, traveling at night is not a good idea. There are too many risks to do it unless it’s and emergency.
Good luck in your travels, many of us are jealous of what you are doing!
I dont know about Houston but in central TX if i hit your cow that is out Im not responsible for it. Texas is an open range state. Landowners are not held liable for their livestock that escape unless it was intentional. 100% Im not paying for your cow that got out, thats on you. Now as a rancher you can get animal collision on your ranch, which is cheap, and as a driver comprehensive coverage will pay for your car to get fixed. Thats how it is.

Yup.. where I grew up in central Cali if the livestock got out of the pasture and you hit one, injuring or killing it, you were responsible. My parents, hit two calves over the years and had to pay for both because they had gotten loose in a more rural farmland area and could not be seen in the fog.

Yup.. where I grew up in central Cali if the livestock got out of the pasture and you hit one, injuring or killing it, you were responsible. My parents, hit two calves over the years and had to pay for both because they had gotten loose in a more rural farmland area and could not be seen in the fog.

At least in the states that have that law, you get to keep the meat so it's not a total loss...unless you're a vegetarian

At least in the states that have that law, you get to keep the meat so it's not a total loss...unless you're a vegetarian
You better know how to clean a cow, no processing plant will take a dead cow that cant walk in on its own. Find you a tractor, saw zaw, sharp blades, beer, and a couple buddies. Ribeyes on the grill in no time.

Can yall imagine driving your LC through the mountains of Nepal and smashing a Hindu's cow crossing the road. Talk about a village going ape s***! You might not make it out alive. I think Frkens got out good for 150, curious to see how bad the structural damage is on that 60. Made me sick when I looked at the pics. Sucks man.

Yes, he did fine getting out of this for $150. I'm interested to hear what a local shop wants to repair. Of course one option would be just get it driveable and go elsewhere for more work. OP looks large-fit OK in the 62?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom