Steering wheel wooden paint and headache (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
BD2DF65C-9486-4420-8808-26543F6FC57F.png
CF99A9CA-C556-42A0-9F5E-084FAAF7CCD0.jpeg
Ηey all. Fairly new to the thread and basically my first post aswell in the forums.

Been active on the form looking at different builds and posts but never posted before. So please bare with me a little.

Ok, so basically my Lc 200’s ( 2010 ) steerings wooden paint has faded due to use and the ugly yellow wooden under the wooden paint has come up. I tried searching for the varnish to color it up and get with it but found it no where. Found the ‘barl wood grain wooden vinyl’ online but not sure if that will do any wonder to reduce my headche.

Can anyone suggest how to restore the wooden paint on the steering ? Or vinyl wrap it ? Advices please.

I have attached pictures of the vinyl I found online. And also a picture of my steering wheel but unfortunately it does not show the faded part in the picture but its that top part of the steering wheel where we hold to steer it usually.

Thanks all

I thought the steering wheels, at least in the Lexus’ were real wood?

Unfortunately, Toyota cheaped out on the LC to prevent it from competing with the Lexus. A bit embarrassing for a $80k suv

Is the LX steering wheel a direct replacement for the LC one? Expensive but it'll look nice. Otherwise, I think the leather wrap is your best bet. I ordered one to modernize the interior, cover up the fake wood, and thicken the gauge of the wheel itself.

Oh that sucks. I have always been amazed by the real wood. I guess it takes them like 64 days just to make that piece of wood.

The real wood trim in the LX is stunning IMO. The wood in my decade old truck looks new and is very attractive which surprised me since I usually find wood trim to feel dated.

Is the LX steering wheel a direct replacement for the LC one? Expensive but it'll look nice. Otherwise, I think the leather wrap is your best bet. I ordered one to modernize the interior, cover up the fake wood, and thicken the gauge of the wheel itself.

I think it may be. Best bet would be a junk yard. I know there is one in a junk yard somewhere around here, because someone blew a Red light and totaled my last LX. It was 3200 pounds versus 7,000 pounds and everyone in my car walked away.

Good find on the vinyl wrap. My first thought was doubt about how well it would conform to the curvature of the wheel. I've seen (on TV) people use hair dryer or heat gun on vinyl exterior wraps to help it conform and stretch to the curves. Might help.

My other thought is that you could try to paint it. Or rather, have someone paint it. A pro wood finisher/refinisher may be able to repicate the burl wood grain. Or a home interior painter, as they do faux finishes.

After the color, you'd want to give it several coats of clear polyurethane (I always hear to lightly sand between coats). When that's done, sand to get it to a smooth finish. To do that, sand up to a very high grit...at least 600, but auto stores have up to 2000 or 2500 grit for wet sanding.

Not sure if the above is an option in Qatar or not.

I may try the wet sanding myself to get rid of the previous owner's scratches from rings/watches.

Do us all a solid and try the vinyl film!

I had the same issue and I got this one on eBay. Not the same as the original but fits in okay. Toyota LAND CRUISER FJ200 2008-14 Piano Black wood leather steering wheel-SPORTS | eBay

Below is a 4Runner steering wheel swap. The swap seems straightforward. The guy in that thread claims roughly an hour. It's probably similar on the LC.
DIY: Steering wheel replacement with black wood wheel - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

OP, I'd go with a leather re-wrap or a replacement wheel from ebay. You'll never get that vinyl to look good on the steering wheel. If you search on ebay there are plenty of "wood" styles to choose from.

Good find on the vinyl wrap. My first thought was doubt about how well it would conform to the curvature of the wheel. I've seen (on TV) people use hair dryer or heat gun on vinyl exterior wraps to help it conform and stretch to the curves. Might help.

My other thought is that you could try to paint it. Or rather, have someone paint it. A pro wood finisher/refinisher may be able to repicate the burl wood grain. Or a home interior painter, as they do faux finishes.

After the color, you'd want to give it several coats of clear polyurethane (I always hear to lightly sand between coats). When that's done, sand to get it to a smooth finish. To do that, sand up to a very high grit...at least 600, but auto stores have up to 2000 or 2500 grit for wet sanding.

Not sure if the above is an option in Qatar or not.

I may try the wet sanding myself to get rid of the previous owner's scratches from rings/watches.

Do us all a solid and try the vinyl film!

Sounds like good idea. Will try with professional painters on sunday and let you all know I come accross any luck

Below is a 4Runner steering wheel swap. The swap seems straightforward. The guy in that thread claims roughly an hour. It's probably similar on the LC.
DIY: Steering wheel replacement with black wood wheel - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

OP, I'd go with a leather re-wrap or a replacement wheel from ebay. You'll never get that vinyl to look good on the steering wheel. If you search on ebay there are plenty of "wood" styles to choose from.

I fear that swaping might include some intense labor and doing it all alone would be pretty difficult. In addition, swaping is an expensive alternative

You'll never get that vinyl to look good on the steering wheel. If you search on ebay there are plenty of "wood" styles to choose from - Rxavtly my only fear with vinyl but still would give it a try. If not steering, it can be used for any other purpose. No harm

Wrap that fake plastic wood section with parachute chord (choose your color). That’s what I am going to do when I finally scratch mine.

What is going on with the Toyota emblem in the center of the steering wheel? It looks like someone repainted it...(?)

What is going on with the Toyota emblem in the center of the steering wheel? It looks like someone repainted it...(?)
It doesn't matter because after the tacky plastic wrap no one will notice the emblem unless it has been bedazzled. Cheap plastic will look like cheap plastic and it will wear like --- butter-- or -- cotton candy== or == toilet paper.
And I think you are seeing reflections on the chrome.

Craft customs in Dallas does very nice work and uses real word - they did my 80 series wheel....

E

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom