T-boned FJ62 - I need a little help from friends... they want to total it (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Mudders and FJ62 types,

I got T-boned (passenger side fender and both doors dented). Other insurance has accepted blame and now wants to total my FJ62. We both carry AAA - mine in CA his in Texas. AAA gave me a verbal repair estimate of $3,600 but also said it was totaled.. but hasn't given me their valuation yet.

SoCal Craigslist had 11 FJ62's listed (low 7K, avg 16.6K, hi 29.5K) so I'm pretty confident mine is worth more than 3.6K. Even if it does have 370,000 miles on it.

So I'm asking if you folks that have bought or sold a FJ62 recently would mind posting what the selling price was. I am hoping to get data from actual sales to fight AAA valuation.

Thanks in advance!
IMG_20180208_150938.jpg

Fight em! That damage in NO way equals a total.
@gman
@KWalkerM
-any help from your past experience?

I can't speak for California, however, here in Virginia, we have third party appraisers that will assess the damage, and they are considered 'impartial'. You can use their findings here against the insurance company. They use more real world data, rather than just what 'the book' says.

There was a post some time ago, on IFSJA.com, about an insurance claim in Texas(I think). Similar scenario. Once the owner went to the state corporation commission complaining of unfair treatment, he magically got his Grand Wagoneer fixed. I'd try a search over there for that thread. You will have to register to do a search, I believe.

Get another insurance policy and put it back on the road!

That is total Barbara Striesand. A simple comparable will yield a much higher replacement price. I would develop a sudden back and neck ache if they persist in their low balling.

I'm with Farmer's and have clarified over the years with them that they won't just cover KBB. They've assured me they'll go with fair market value (like your Craigslist listings) and also my records of maintenance and parts. If this were me I'd hand it over to my insurer and have them deal with the lowball nonsense. That's what I'm paying for. Good luck!

My agent and I looked at nada value before I bought mine to DD. Low was $16k ... High was $26k. I'm not sure how $3600 can total it. I would either get a second opinion or an attorney.

You can have it appraised by a classic car appraiser and they should be able to give you a price.

Never had a 62 but Ill give you 3700 :rolleyes: Sorry

Seriously though, I bet you can find two doors and that quarter for relatively cheep. less than your totaled price for sure. any unseen damage?

Last edited:
Hi, I agree no total . Probably get used doors of the same color for 300 each. Fender fixed for around 1000. Look for a trip to court mandated arbitration . Also ask for deminished value due to the wreck. Mike

I can't speak for California, however, here in Virginia, we have third party appraisers that will assess the damage, and they are considered 'impartial'. You can use their findings here against the insurance company. They use more real world data, rather than just what 'the book' says.

There was a post some time ago, on IFSJA.com, about an insurance claim in Texas(I think). Similar scenario. Once the owner went to the state corporation commission complaining of unfair treatment, he magically got his Grand Wagoneer fixed. I'd try a search over there for that thread. You will have to register to do a search, I believe.
AAA said they used a firm from NJ to do their valuation. I won't let them total it. Thanks for the lead.. I'll follow it up.

I’m curious what size lift the other guy was running. That B Pillar did it’s job well. Seems like the insurance company is playing games that have undoubtedly worked before. I would push back pretty hard. Good luck.
The other guy was in a stock Chevy Trailblazer. His bumper wrecked his radiator and grill and headlight bits all over. He left when we called the police . Bumper and misc. front end wreckage dragging the ground and streaming antifreeze. But he did seem a bit stoned. Both pillars are straight and doors still close tight.

What?? Those doors can almost be popped back out from the inside by hand. The front fender is a little rough but looks superficial.
Does anyone do real bodywork anymore??
Agree. That is my plan. I'm not a metal work guy but I have hammers.

I'm with Farmer's and have clarified over the years with them that they won't just cover KBB. They've assured me they'll go with fair market value (like your Craigslist listings) and also my records of maintenance and parts. If this were me I'd hand it over to my insurer and have them deal with the lowball nonsense. That's what I'm paying for. Good luck!

Thanks. So far my agent seems happy to let the Texas AAA deal with it. I told them I won't accept a total.

Never had a 62 but Ill give you 3700 :rolleyes: Sorry

Seriously though, I bet you can find two doors and that quarter for relatively cheep. less than your totaled price for sure. any unseen damage?
No other damage. Both doors close tight and pillars are straight. I do have a lead on used doors and quarter.

For 3600 you can do that to mine, both sides.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom