Strange fridge smells while off solved (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LandCruiserPhil

Peter Pan Syndrome
Supporting Vendor
Threads
It always to challenge to keep the fridge free of strange odors while not in use. I have been using charcoal bags with great results. After fridge use I just wipe the inside as normal drop in a bag and shut it. After sitting you will get no strange odor once opened and put back into use. To refresh the charcoal bag just set in the sun.

A1XKjGQmC3L._SL1500_.jpg

Now that I need to look into. My fridge always stinks after sitting for a few months, even if I wipe it down with bleach before I store it. Right now is smells like the fish I caught in Baja last October.

Now that I need to look into. My fridge always stinks after sitting for a few months, even if I wipe it down with bleach before I store it. Right now is smells like the fish I caught in Baja last October.

I like yourself would clean it like crazy and let it vent until next use with OK results. The last use I did nothing:eek: and dropped in the bag and closed the top. After several days I opened and did the smell test and said to myself F' ya.

I saw them on Amazon and took the no risk Prime challenge.:grinpimp: After several months and testing on two fridges Im sold and wanted to share with others.

I will be adding one to the inside of the cabin and do some fart testing hoping to make it wife approved.

It appears I can get them local at Bed Bath and Beyond for the same price as Amazon. Like you, I can think of multi uses.
Moso Natural Air Purifying Bag

Thanks, I might go look these over too. I'm old fashioned, but I have an old heavy oiled canvas tarp
that I leave in my truck when I'm gone. I've always loved that smell, so it works for me. But not for
the fridge or coolers.

We always put a sock (clean!) of ground coffee in the fridge, in our trailer.

Lately, we’ve just propped the fridge open, when not in use.

Either works.

Also, a box of baking soda works, but doesn’t last as long as ground coffee.

Whether intentional or unintentional, ARB fridges have a no-stink feature... just close the lid ON TOP of the latch and it maintains a 3/4" gap.

IMG_3108.jpg

I wonder if tea tree oil canisters would work? They do an amazing job on sailboats in winter storage...

I shut mine on the transit bag flap so there is s slight gap...

Whether intentional or unintentional, ARB fridges have a no-stink feature... just close the lid ON TOP of the latch and it maintains a 3/4" gap.

View attachment 1629102

It works the same on my fridge if I wipe it out when Im done. :rolleyes:

Gonna get a bag as well. The fridge stinks no matter how clean it is before letting it sit.

After use I wipe out with a dilute bleach solution and keep vented 1" - no smell ever - no purchase required.

My arb hasn't been off in the 10 years i have owned it. Truck, deck, garage, shop. Its always on

Yep, for storage, leave lid cracked open. When I wipe down the fridge after a trip I use vanilla essence to wipe with - smells good :)

cheers,
george.

I clean mine and let it vent for a day or so. Then close it. .... when is time to use it again it smell a bit, but that smells usually dissipates with in minutes after it is turn on...... i have read that coffee grinds are a good option as well...

we use ‘Arm and Hammer’ Baking Soda ... they sell boxes of the stuff with permeable sides specifically for use in ‘fridges ...works fine. Has lots of other uses as well - makes a good fire extinguisher, a teaspoon in a glass of warm water can cure heartburn, rebalance your PH and a small amount of the stuff made into a paste applied to a insect sting can relieve the pain. Probably lots more uses too.

I have a bunch of silica gel packs I throw in my fridge before I store it. Simple and effective. Here in Nevada I just leave them on a shelf between uses and they dry out. If you live in a damper climate they can be put in an oven on the lowest setting for a few hours and they will be good as new.

I put vanilla extract on a paper towel then put away chest if it smells funky..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom