CSF Radiator Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been a lurker for years, leaning heavily on the forums for information. My FJ Cruiser is really my wife's and that means I don't get to modify, so I haven't had anything to add until now.
P1070100_zpsry06rdch.jpg

With 183K miles on the truck the water pump finally started leaking a month ago. I swapped it and all the tensioner/idler pulleys on the front. While I was in there I got to looking at the radiator. There's nothing wrong with it, but the truck has lived a hard hot life in Houston and the plastic end tanks are getting chalky looking.
Turns out there's not a lot available for our trucks in the way of all aluminum radiators. I found that CSF had started making them, but couldn't find any for sale. I reached out to them and they said they had them but hadn't updated the sales software yet but I was welcome to order one. They even gave me a discount for being one of the very first ones to order. I've had a bad time shipping radiators in the past, but packaging was great. Solid foam and coroplast protecting the core.
P1070075_zpsfyytqmh4.jpg

P1070076_zpsw1utngkr.jpg

Installation is basic radiator stuff. If you use a long extension you can get away with just removing the upper grill. You can snake your way next to the headlights.
P1070098_zpssdwgcki6.jpg

And through the lower grille.
P1070096_zpsdm4vf8pc.jpg

The only issue is that leaving the plastic in place means you can't get your hands to the bolts. A magnet on a stick is your best friend.
P1070089_zpsiocai7zo.jpg

The only parts you have to swap over are the rubber bushings which came apart easily. This is my favorite car to work on. Toyota did such a great job screwing it together.
P1070080_zpss7plsgfw.jpg

The radiator is expensive but it's all aluminum and the core is about twice as thick at stock. It takes about a half gallon more coolant to fill the system now.
P1070105_zps6lu2ujgb.jpg

P1070102_zpsg4ozsfua.jpg

There isn't any drama. It just fits. Twice as thick and everything drops right back into place.

The coolest part of this (for me) is that the radiator is set up for an automatic truck, and mine is a manual. This means that the built in trans cooler isn't used.
P1070087_zpsxy85ypsp.jpg

Right now I'm shopping for the proper heat resistant hose, a 12V pump and a shower head. For those of us with manual transmissions, we get a free heat exchanger for back country showers. :)

I'm thinking this is the start of a long slippery slope with this truck.

Good Day & Greetings to all.

Im considering installing the CSF radiator on my '15 FJ Cruiser and was hoping you could advise on the ownership and performance on the same.

Our ambient temperatures here in the UAE deserts hit 48-50 degrees at times and on my U-gauge i can see the engine coolant temperature hit close to 110 degrees

Im hoping this HD CSF radiator will make a significant temp reduction over the OEM but having gone through the CSF facebook page reviews, ive seen a majority of dissatified customers over quality control. Has anyone here experienced any similar poor quality issues? Please advise or suggest alternatives if you've come across any.

Thanks in advance

I've been a lurker for years, leaning heavily on the forums for information. My FJ Cruiser is really my wife's and that means I don't get to modify, so I haven't had anything to add until now.
P1070100_zpsry06rdch.jpg

With 183K miles on the truck the water pump finally started leaking a month ago. I swapped it and all the tensioner/idler pulleys on the front. While I was in there I got to looking at the radiator. There's nothing wrong with it, but the truck has lived a hard hot life in Houston and the plastic end tanks are getting chalky looking.
Turns out there's not a lot available for our trucks in the way of all aluminum radiators. I found that CSF had started making them, but couldn't find any for sale. I reached out to them and they said they had them but hadn't updated the sales software yet but I was welcome to order one. They even gave me a discount for being one of the very first ones to order. I've had a bad time shipping radiators in the past, but packaging was great. Solid foam and coroplast protecting the core.
P1070075_zpsfyytqmh4.jpg

P1070076_zpsw1utngkr.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom