Road Trip for new Hams (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
On Saturday Feb 3rd at the Richmond Raceway there will be the Frostfest hamfest (indoor flea market for radio, electronics, computer, and other stuff) Frostfest

StaleAle and I will be there. This is a good opportunity to see a large variety of new & used radios and related stuff and the prices - most are negotiable. Bring cash. There is other stuff there too. I bought two tow bars and a sand blaster at the hamfest in Manassas and StaleAle bought a 10x10 canopy with sides for just a few bucks.

Be there when the doors open at 8:30 AM to get the good bargains. Typically we have seen (bought) everything and are ready to leave around noonish. I will be available to provide info, guidance and suggestions if needed (assuming I'm not in the middle of making a super deal on a gotta have item :)).

StaleAle and I will be using the club radios during the hamfest so we can tactically locate all of the best buys. If you would like to meet us there, please bring your club radio. If you don't have one, let me know, the club has "loaner" radios you can borrow.

Here are the directions Frostfest » Directions to Frostfest

If anyone else is interested in taking the ham test, it will be offered at 10:00 Frostfest » VE Testing Sessions

Hope to see you there.

Had a ton on the schedule for today and couldn't make it. I did however program my new radio with the image file provided by @Jakes40 (thanks!)

I think I have it ready to roll. I just need to figure out what each channel is now.

How was the frost fest?

Frostfest was a lot of fun and eye-opener. It is a bit daunting when you visit a swap show for your new hobby you ony recognize roughly 10% of the items for sale. But I learned a lot and got a used ICOM IC-208H mobile for my 62. Jack was searching for some portables but was not able to find what he was looking for.

Many thanks to Ed and Jon for the guidance, for without I would have been lost.

Last edited:
Frostfest was a lot of fun and eye-opener. It is a bit daunting when you visit a swap show for your new hobby you recognize roughly 10% of the items for sale. But I learned a lot and got a used ICOM IC-208H mobile for my 62. Jack was searching for some portables but was not able to find what he was looking for.

Awesome. I really wanted to go. Oh well, next time.

Frostfest was a lot of fun and eye-opener. It is a bit daunting when you visit a swap show for your new hobby you ony recognize roughly 10% of the items for sale. But I learned a lot and got a used ICOM IC-208H mobile for my 62. Jack was searching for some portables but was not able to find what he was looking for.

That looks like a nice radio. You going to drill the roof?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom