M101a2 Search Begins, Build to come. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am on the Hunt for an M101a2 Trailer, which I intend to outfit for Overland Travel. Anyone Have any leads? I'm looking for a good deal but I'm not trying to low ball anyone, I figure the less I spend on the trailer the more I can spend on the PM and outfitting. I'm located in Idaho but I would be willing to drive almost anywhere west of the Mississippi!

I am on the Hunt for an M101a2 Trailer, which I intend to outfit for Overland Travel. Anyone Have any leads? I'm looking for a good deal but I'm not trying to low ball anyone, I figure the less I spend on the trailer the more I can spend on the PM and outfitting. I'm located in Idaho but I would be willing to drive almost anywhere west of the Mississippi!

I'm in Kansas and there are always a handful on craigslist anywhere from $400 on up to 1k or so for a real nice one with the canvas. They are a pretty good size trailer.

I've got a spare M101A3 with fiberglass sides and metal bows with canvas. It has the Hummer tires. I'm wanting $700, but I'm in Mo. I used it last season for camping, worked fine. The good part is it has a Mo. title in my name already, no government hassles. Here it is without the canvas...

IMG_3190.JPG

IMG_3191.JPG

Last edited:
The government liquidation sites were blowing them out last year. I was seeing a couple dozen going at a time.

I've got a spare M101A3 with fiberglass sides and metal bows with canvas. It has the Hummer tires. I'm wanting $700, but I'm in Mo. I used it last season for camping, worked fine. The good part is it has a Mo. title in my name already, no government hassles. Here it is without the canvas...

View attachment 1621206

View attachment 1621208
$700 is a great price I think the distance might be a little far, If I don't find anything nice like yours I may look into shipping.

The government liquidation sites were blowing them out last year. I was seeing a couple dozen going at a time.
I see a ton of m105 Trailers forsale on them but never any M101a2 or a3

I've got a couple of 105s also, if you want one. (cheaper) :) I'm not actively trying to sell mine, so no hurry.

I see a ton of m105 Trailers forsale on them but never any M101a2 or a3

The M101s are harder to find, but there were a number of them scattered in there with the M103s and M105s. I’m definitely not seeing nearly the number of trailers I was seeing last Summer/Fall.

Here’s a few smaller ones - M1101, M1101, M102, M102, M1101.

Damn… Now that you have me looking, I found a bunch of tempting M1078/88s and M8xx/9xx trucks…

The M105 is a 1 1/2 ton rated trailer made for the Deuce. The M101 is a 3/4 ton rated trailer made for the M37 which is a 3/4 ton vehicle. In other words the M101 is a heck of a lot smaller. Frames, axle, wheels, etc. are all huge on the 105.

Last edited:
The M105 is a 1 1/2 ton rated trailer made for the Deuce. The M101 is a 3/4 ton rated trailer made for the M37 which is a 3/4 ton vehicle. In other words the M101 is a heck of a lot smaller. Frames, axle, wheels, etc. are all huge on the 105.
Just from casual research focused on the m101a2/a3 trailers I had noticed that the m105s dwarfed full-size pickup trucks, in that they all seemed to tilt downward when attached.

Good to know. I've seen a couple of the 101's for sale locally. They are still a good sized trailer for camping. I'm thinking you could easily set them up with beds, cooking area, and awnings, for an actual offroad camper. Probably a tight fit on a lot of trails though.

M1101 is a much better trailer, IMHO. It is made to pull behind the Humvee, is quite a bit lighter I believe and is much newer. It doesn't have the classic old-school look, but is really functional and can be had for about the same price directly via liquidation. I had a 101A3 that I sold for a stupid ton of money. My next one will be an 1101.

The only problem I have with the M1101 & 1102 is the body width. You're correct in that they are made for the Humvee. The last version of the 101 series the A3 were made with a wider axle in order for it to track behind the Humvee also. On the M101A3 they moved the fenders outboard from where the A2 is, so they would cover the wider axle. One nice thing about those is a wider surface in between the fenders for laying a 4x8 plywood sheet down.

I am stearing away from the m1101 due to the width as well, It's my understanding that the m101a2 is the same track width as the FJ80.

Good luck with the search and build.

I had an 1101 and the width was awful, so good choice there. I am finishing my build on a 1969 M101A1, has a 12 volt system, no solar just yet, pull out kitchen, storage up front, a sleeping deck that is easily swapped for hauling more gear and top that was cut down and pivots using the old canvas to keep out the weather. 2 jerry can holders up front with a tongue box for battery and wiring storage.

Took the whole thing apart and converted the rust with a great product. All new wiring for lights and added several of LED markers. Axle and tires are good for now but may change in the future. Might have time to put a build thread together for some ideas that worked for me.

Good luck and have fun.

Due to the difficulty finding an M101a2 I changed my course and bought a 1979 Toyota Pickup bed trailer. It already is a 6 Lug Toyota bolt pattern I was able to mount Matching LX450 Wheels to it, Using a 7 pin Wiring kit I created a loom and I am able to use the Factory lights on the back with all of them functioning as they were intended. I used the Center Pin intended for 12v+ as the reverse lights, which on any other vehicle will light up the reverse lights if the 7 pin is wired correctly, but if I have to tow another vehicle all the lights will light up properly.
attachment.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom