Builds '81 Trekker ReDistruction (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Aaron, for what it's worth a good friend of mine works for Eastwood. I can't really get screaming deals on anything, but I can get a heads up on when they do scratch and dent sales if that's something you are into.

Aaron, for what it's worth a good friend of mine works for Eastwood. I can't really get screaming deals on anything, but I can get a heads up on when they do scratch and dent sales if that's something you are into.
Bunch of enablers round here!
I see some stuff on sale already, but hell yeah, if a case of rust encapsulator got dropped off a tailgate or something... sign me up! Thanks!

All the minni's rust there.you were going to cut a lot of the firewall to clear big tires anyhow.

Sweet rage flag too!
Your gonna have to show me where to cut it back to. I have plenty to keep me moving for now, but if your ever in Phila, let me know, I'll buy lunch..

Bunch of enablers round here!
I see some stuff on sale already, but hell yeah, if a case of rust encapsulator got dropped off a tailgate or something... sign me up! Thanks!

I'll keep you posted. By the way, is that an old Honda Dream in the background?

Time for an update and some decisions:

Cab is fixed, fiberglass bed is coming back together.
I have not bought a bunch of stuff for this build yet, trying hard not to get ahead of myself.
Fabricator/friend'o mine has done such a nice job on the floor and cab corners, I'm not sure I should chop it up and make it a wheeler or....

IMG_20180112_171810.jpg
photo0_11.jpg
IMG_20180112_171807.jpg

trying hard not to get ahead of myself.

Keep that frame of mind...grasshopper.

Build it, and wheel the **** out of it!

Looking Awesome! Clean Shiny Things!
How about a mild build, slight lift and some 33s?
Maybe Crawler too???
If it's a build at all it's getting a minimalist exo-cage, the thing is such a tin can...
I think it's the route I'm going, just hesitant to chop up a Trekker.

2x that! It's to nice and rare!

It's too nice and too rare to chop up.
No its not. I personally want to build myself a 79-83 mini truck. My plans were for a 3-4" lift 35's factor 4.88 8" 3rds put ac in. There are enough parts from early trucks I think I could mix and match to do it. Then swap in either a 1uz or a 5vz add cruise and you'e got a sweet dd/mall crawler.

It may be too rare for trail use but it's not nice or valuable enough to restore to original condition.

^^^ Bring on the opinions folks, please.

So far I agree with all of you. It is rare, it was not nice, but it could be at this point with a lot more $$$.

Either way, it is not that valuable....
...it was so far gone, there is so much non stock steel in it now, it will never be a concourse queen.

35"s, some long leaf springs and locked 62series axles.
Simple cage and winch bumper.
Trying to keep the top removable... ...is where I'm at in my head.

Something like this, but incorporating the bed and cap:
image3_zpsuwpueknl.jpeg

Some progress today:

IMG_20180205_105835.jpg

Fiberglass repair on the inner bed tub.

IMG_20180205_110913.jpg

Looks like Winnebago used expanded metal as the base of the construction.

IMG_20180205_110510.jpg

Seat rails weldered in. These fit generic YJ heep seat sliders which bolt to generic race/suspension seats.

IMG_20180205_105929.jpg

Gonna sink NutZerts around the back of the cab flange to re attached the fiberglass bed. Winnebago just slathered glue and ran 100+ wood screws through it.

IMG_20180205_122025_16.jpg

Last known inspection sticker on the windshield I broke while removing today. Good news is, almost no rust on the windshield flange!
IMG_20180205_154011.jpg

Parting shot for the day. Got the bed tub sitting back on the frame, ready for bed sides and reassembly.

Then cage fabrication begins unless @76FJ40 makes an offer I can't refuse....

It's coming along great but don't hold your breath waiting for an offer from me. Ryan has a line on a Trekker here in Warrenton if I get the itch bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom