80 series Slinky/ICON Long Travel Suspension officially coming to the U.S.A. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So would knowing the exact corner weights of my rig help determine which springs would be appropriate and what the resulting lift height would be?

So would knowing the exact corner weights of my rig help determine which springs would be appropriate and what the resulting lift height would be?
Total weight is probably just as useful. What extra weight do you have on your truck? What is the typical setup for daily use (bumpers, drawer systems, tire carrier etc). What types of additional load to you typically use for trips?

How much lift are you wanting to have? From everything I’ve seen the advertised lift heights are pretty accurate with very little sagging depending on load. So the 50mm kits will be a good 2.5” lift and the 75mm kits are a good 3” lift.

Not sure about overall weight. I'm trying to see if a local race team has corner scales I can use though. My 80 has an ARB up front with an m12k and dual batteries. I run metal tech sliders and an ipor skid. Out back I have an ipor bumper and swing out and an OEM aux tank. My current suspension is ome heavies with a 1" spacer up front. My hub to fender is 24" up front and 25" in the rear. I run 285 Goodyear MTRs on OEM steelies. I think this lift combo it a little high for the 285s. I'm looking for springs that'll be no further off front to rear than I have now and I don't want to run a spacer.

@nuclearlemon Depending on adjustements, things like the amount the panhard is across and the steering shaft being on the centre high point is a good example.

The other is knowing your alignment settings, to much caster can be as bad as to little.

Camber will also impact, especially with my next point.

To much neg can really make them move around.

Steering damper working correctly.

The other big one many miss is tyre pressures, running LT tyres and too high a pressure can see the tyre run on the centre, and create darting issues like caster, from changing the pivot point of the tyre.

@AutoCraft Aus What are the “ideal” caster and camber specs for the Slinky kit?

I thought I saw you mention altering the camber with bearings for improved handling with the Slinky kit, but can’t find the post.

did you just tie off to one side? seems like it wouldn't hold if you did it to both sides? i wish it was just reversed like the front

Yeah, that sounds right. I haven't done it for years actually but guess will be doing it again soon with the Whiteline bar.

Not sure about overall weight. I'm trying to see if a local race team has corner scales I can use though. My 80 has an ARB up front with an m12k and dual batteries. I run metal tech sliders and an ipor skid. Out back I have an ipor bumper and swing out and an OEM aux tank. My current suspension is ome heavies with a 1" spacer up front. My hub to fender is 24" up front and 25" in the rear. I run 285 Goodyear MTRs on OEM steelies. I think this lift combo it a little high for the 285s. I'm looking for springs that'll be no further off front to rear than I have now and I don't want to run a spacer.
Ok, it sounds like you are similar in weight to my 80. If you want to be a bit shorter than you are now the 50mm heavy rate Slinkys might be the right choice. I have the 75mm heavies and no spacers. My hub to fender measurement is 24" in front and 24.5" in the rear. I have 315's and it all seems like a near perfect arrangement for amount of lift and tire size.

@AutoCraft Aus What are the “ideal” caster and camber specs for the Slinky kit?

I thought I saw you mention altering the camber with bearings for improved handling with the Slinky kit, but can’t find the post.
I'm running the Slee caster plates with my Slinky kit which Darren told me would work well. As for camber, it can come down to preference as to whether or not you want to run additional neg camber. I haven't alterered mine from factory specs. But I've driven Darren's 80 a little with -2* camber (IIRC) and turn-in when driving at higher speeds is definitely better with less understeer. He also has heavier rear swaybar. The combination of the swaybar and neg camber is more "sporty" handling for sure. The front end is more "pointy" in turns and the rear will come around easier if you want it to. There are several places that sell offset bearings for caster/camber adjustments, but I believe Endless Horizon Outfitters will also have them that can be ordered with the rest of the Slinky parts.
I'm wanting to upgrade my swaybar for sure. I'll probably add some neg camber down the line too but haven't pulled the trigger on that.

And Kevin has some in stock too Adam!

Ideal for most people is 2.5 - 3 deg caster

20 minutes or .2 neg camber

2-4mm toe in

Out of curiosity, are the coils available in black as well? I've only ever seen silver, but noticed the "stock photos" show black coils. I'm highly considering buying at least the coils soon when I get my new axles installed.

IMG_8589.PNG

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, are the coils available in black as well? I've only ever seen silver, but noticed the "stock photos" show black coils. I'm highly considering buying at least the coils soon when I get my new axles installed.

View attachment 1622168
Darren can chime in if I'm incorrect but the black coils were early versions. All Slinky coils are silver I believe.

I have 37" tires on my 80 and don't plan on going back down to 35's anytime soon. Below is a list of heavy junk that is bolted to my truck.

I would like to redo the suspension with the 75mm stage 4 kit but I am not sure whether the springs will be well suited to my rigs sprung weight and whether or not there will be enough clearance with the 37's

1) Cummins 6BT (about 300lbs heaver than 1FZ-FE)
2) ARB bumper and winch
3) Opor Sliders
4) Gamaviti Roof Rack
5) Slee Rear Bumper (dual swing out with tire carier and 3 jerry cans..the jerry cans aren't attached in the below pics)
6) Two drawer storage system (made of wood and filled with tools, parts and cooking supplies)
7) ARB 60L fridge/freezer in integrated slide
8) Dual Batteries
9) Its not on yet, but I plan to pick up at Tepiu tent from @boxrocket soon

What do you guys think...suitable for my setup or not?

Here are a few pics if my rig for reference.
20160709_134937-jpg.1627384

20160713_132113-jpg.1627372
20160713_132154-jpg.1627373
20160711_201612-jpg.1627374
20160714_160658-jpg.1627375

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom