Monstaliner Bedliner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very cool to know that vinyl will lay down that well over Monsta.

Any special timing or technique to get it applied?

Need to let the liner cure at least 10 days. I waited 30 days.
There are different types of vinyl and they are all rated in years for their exterior longevity.
Whatever you do make sure that you use or specify "cast vinyl" not "calendered " vinyl and something that has at least a 5 year rating.
The cast vinyl has a lot more stretch to it and it will conform more easily to the texture of the Monstaliner .
It's also got better UV resistance and it doesn't dry out and become brittle.
3M makes the best and most expensive vinyl.
Oracal is the other company that I feel is just as good for less money.

Cast vs Calendared Vinyl

Is that Han Solo?
351C6D9400000578-3634668-image-m-41_1465579645219.jpg

Add another white 80 to the list of Monstalinered Land Cruisers!

2017-12-11_14.36.36.jpg

2017-12-11_13.56.56.jpg

I love it. I also posted under "What did you do with your 80 this weekend" thread, but wanted to post here too, since this is a great centralized thread.

Details:
  • Rolled on since I did it in my garage and I didn't want overspray everywhere. I used a fine foam roller from Home Depot to it wouldn't have as rough a finish
  • I only used 1 gallon for the truck and my rooftop box (3 coats each)
  • Observant people will notice the door handles have not been painted. I did this so I could keep the tape on as long as I could, and I'm going to go back and finish them next
  • I probably spent 20 hours on prep with at least 10 of those hours on sanding to smooth out what I had to work with, which was faded white paint with some minor hail damage, surface rust, scratches, etc. It looks better now that when I bought it 10 years ago
  • I used black to repaint my bumpers, which I bought powdercoated 2 years ago and were already showing a lot of rust (I do live in Colorado after all)
Thanks for those that answered my previous questions in this thread! Much obliged!

Now if I can just fix my electrical short, I'll be back to 100%!

Beautiful job! Got any before pics?

2017-12-11_14.36.36.jpg

2017-12-11_13.56.56.jpg

I love it. I also posted under "What did you do with your 80 this weekend" thread, but wanted to post here too, since this is a great centralized thread.

Details:
  • Rolled on since I did it in my garage and I didn't want overspray everywhere. I used a fine foam roller from Home Depot to it wouldn't have as rough a finish
  • Observant people will notice the door handles have not been painted. I did this so I could keep the tape on as long as I could, and I'm going to go back and finish them next
  • I probably spent 20 hours on prep with at least 10 of those hours on sanding to smooth out what I had to work with, which was faded white paint with some minor hail damage, surface rust, scratches, etc. It looks better now that when I bought it 10 years ago
  • I used black to repaint my bumpers, which I bought powdercoated 2 years ago and were already showing a lot of rust (I do live in Colorado after all)
Thanks for those that answered my previous questions in this thread! Much obliged!

Beautiful job! Got any before pics?

Thanks! It looks great in my opinion too!

Here are a few before pics. You can see where the paint is faded and the rear picture show the surface rust from dents and scuffs.

2017-11-18_11.57.31.jpg

2017-11-18_11.57.44.jpg

2017-11-18_11.58.17.jpg

2017-12-11_14.36.36.jpg

2017-12-11_13.56.56.jpg

Details:

That turned out great. The smooth foam roller makes it look SO nice. I'll be going this route also.

Great job!! I'm currently trying to decide between white and light quartz grey. Just purchased the white rollers from HD. Big thanks to salvage dog for sharing his experience with whizz rollers! Did you reduce product to achieve smoother finish or was it just the rollers? I'm guessing it only took 1 gallon of product because your 80 was white to begin with. I thought the minimum for an 80 was 2 gallons.

Great job!! I'm currently trying to decide between white and light quartz grey. Just purchased the white rollers from HD. Big thanks to salvage dog for sharing his experience with whizz rollers! Did you reduce product to achieve smoother finish or was it just the rollers? I'm guessing it only took 1 gallon of product because your 80 was white to begin with. I thought the minimum for an 80 was 2 gallons.

I'd love to see what that roller looks like myself. I suspect that part of the reason for low consumption may also be due to the smoother roller applying the coating thinner. (White base also will be a factor)

Pulled the trigger and monstalined the rig this past month, now just getting around to posting photos. I unfortunately didn't take photos of the entire two week process.

Took 3 Gallons + 1 Quart, 2 coats, color is Midnight Special. It looks maybe a shade lighter to that dark blue cruiser color that the 60's have. Texture came out great. I was worried the color would be too light but I love it. All in after brushes/mix buckets/extra tape ~$600.

Originally I was going to paint the doors off the truck on some sawhorses, but after applying the texture to the interior of the doors I was worried that gravity had an effect on the texture, so to match the texture of the fender/quarter panels the doors were painted a week later after hanging them.

I'd recommend buying two mini kits + six or seven extra rollers, as I used the texture sponge in the tight corners, to mop up drips, door weather rails, etc.
I used a new brush/pan/sponge for each coat, and kept some MEK around to loosen up the brush when going back to it after rolling.

View attachment 1520494 View attachment 1520496View attachment 1520500View attachment 1520495
View attachment 1520501

This looks absolutely gorgeous. Totally impressed with your work, this color, and the outcome. Definitely motivated to finally get my truck painted this spring. I've put off finishing body work for about two months now, but think I'll get back at it this weekend.

I’m about to buy a 2 gallon kit with the desert sand tint. Comes to like 325 ish. Anyone got a coupon code? Desert sand really a sand color? Thanks

Any opinions on what colors appear to be closest to the Toyota Cement Gray color? Medium Quartz Gray?

My 80 is I think the Toyota Blue Slate. It looks to me like Pyroclastic is closer to that but its hard to tell even with paint chips.

Has anyone here applied tintable monstaliner without tint? Results? Pictures? @magnetman

Last edited:
Hey guys, I need some advice. Applying Monstaliner soon, but I have one worry! I am replacing 3 body panels on my 80 series from multiple salvage trucks, as my truck has some front end damage. My 80 is dark green. I have hood and grille valence from a white lx450, and a front fender from a black 80 series. Will my colors come out looking different on the donor panels? Using light quartz grey if that matters. @magnetman

Hey guys, I need some advice. Applying Monstaliner soon, but I have one worry! I am replacing 3 body panels on my 80 series from multiple salvage trucks, as my truck has some front end damage. My 80 is dark green. I have hood and grille valence from a white lx450, and a front fender from a black 80 series. Will my colors come out looking different on the donor panels? Using light quartz grey if that matters. @magnetman

Seconded. Hoping to paint in March/April. Originally maroon 94, but with a white LX hood and driver fender. Planning to go desert sand. I would assume with good prep and two coats, all should be well, but would like to hear from those with experience.

Seconded. Hoping to paint in March/April. Originally maroon 94, but with a white LX hood and driver fender. Planning to go desert sand. I would assume with good prep and two coats, all should be well, but would like to hear from those with experience.
You should not have a problem with coverage; however, i would plan on three coats if you are spraying. Also, you may want to pull all the pieces so you can do the jam area in liner, otherwise, those area's will show the different color.

I painted midnight special over grey, tan, and blue body panels, coverage and color was even. Two coats worked for me. The paint is like yogurt, it’s fairly thick.

I painted midnight special over grey, tan, and blue body panels, coverage and color was even. Two coats worked for me. The paint is like yogurt, it’s fairly thick.

This is a relief, thanks man!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom