Never ending axle service (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I took apart the end that connects to the pitman before I knew this part wasn't in the pack of replacement ends. Anyway, I cleaned it up, re greased and put it back together. I wish I took a before pic because it was caked.

tmp_2728-IMG_20150828_2337348071105273999.jpg

Oh No!!!
Your NEVER DONE!!!!!
Just taking a break.

Good job!!!

So I guess I'll bump this thread instead of gumming up the "What are you working on" thread which is better used as a place to post successful activities on our trucks. Clearly I was not successful. :bang:

Here's the instructions I used from the 40 FAQ.

Steering knuckle centering tool instructions (FAQ)

I'm going to start breaking down the axle soon. Probably I shouldn't try to save any of the paper gaskets right? Think I can reuse the rubber wipers and felts?

IMG_20180121_151145005.jpg

You might get away with reusing the paper gaskets, if they aren't Grease soaked or get torn too badly when pulling the spindle.
Soak the felts in purple stuff or another degreaser, then rinse and dry. Rubber is definitely reusable.

Looks like a good tech day candidate! I'd like to work through one of these rebuilds as I've never rebuilt a birf.

You probably got the shims wrong.
Did you forget to carry the 1?
I forgot to carry the 1! It happened to the best of use.
Get Marlin seals they are great when you can't do math!

I already reached out to Ryan, he sells the Marlin seals. I'm going to pull the 40 in to the garage when I get back from the beach and start tearing it down.

Good to know Ryan sells them. They were like $10 a pair and $11 shipping. I hate paying more to ship than what the part cost. So I baught 2 steps and a spare. The spare was for Bob but I could or forgot to get it to him.

Reading this makes me NOT want to try this on my own the first time.

Reading this makes me NOT want to try this on my own the first time.

It's honestly not that bad. I did my first 80 series axle by myself and it's just a process. Follow it and you'll be good. The difference on the 40 axle is the shims needed to make sure the axles are centered on the knuckles. Otherwise it's pretty straight forward. And luckily there are plenty of folks local who can help out if you get in a jam. Trust me, when I get back to axle centering tool time I'll be asking for some extra hands and eyes.

Looks like I'll need to participate in a Tech day. I don't have the tool needed and despite being around cars my whole life, I never was real great at fixing them. I know enough to be dangerous is all.

Looks like I'll need to participate in a Tech day. I don't have the tool needed and despite being around cars my whole life, I never was real great at fixing them. I know enough to be dangerous is all.
We can supply the tools and hands, you just need to bring the parts, grease and a case of brake cleaner and a case of shop towels.

I've got a Terrain Tamer rebuild kit, new calipers w/pads and new OEM rotors, 2 cases of brake clean and I'll pick up shop towels. Should I order extra Marlin axle seals? What about moly; tubes or a tub? And most importantly...what kind of beer do you guys like?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom