UPDATE Ham radio class & test (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Like Bob has to do something on a Saturday that can’t wait til Monday. Geez! I bet he could knock it out before Saturday too. My bet he is worried he will be the only guy who flunks the test.

Gotta keep Lylia happy.

The Vienna Wireless Society ham club (Vienna, VA) is offering a class for new, or soon to be new, hams on the basics of programming and using VHF/UHF radios & repeaters, along with simulated communications scenarios for the new ham. No radios (or licenses) are needed. Friday 1/26 @ 7:00 PM at the Vienna Elementary School.

If anyone is interested in the details, please PM me.

Last edited:
@emorth , I cannot make it. We're having our annual club breakfast/meeting on Saturday.

Pictures.

This is all I have. Raised the LR floor and did hardwood in the LR and MBDRM.

Hardwood.jpg

I just raised the sunken living room, trained professionals did the hardwood.

I've been swamped and haven't had time to study, however I'm still coming. I'll have to rely on common sense and the cram session you are putting on! Do you need us to bring anything? I know you said you'll have coffee and donuts, but I don't mind grabbing something too if needed?

I've been swamped and haven't had time to study, however I'm still coming. I'll have to rely on common sense and the cram session you are putting on! Do you need us to bring anything? I know you said you'll have coffee and donuts, but I don't mind grabbing something too if needed?

Thanks for the offer to bring something. I can't think of anything at the moment.

No worries about studying. Common sense, short term memory (a challenge for me sometimes) and the process of elimination are all you will need for the test. Just don't forget to bring the print outs from the sites listed below:

1. Technician questions: NCVEC - 2014-2018 Technician Question Pool
2. Band chart: Graphical Frequency Allocations
3. Q signals: http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Get on the Air/Comm w Other Hams-Q Signals.pdf

The important stuff... so far, we have about 25 planning to take the class. For lunch we will send StaleAle out to pick up pizzas from the local Mom & Pop Greek restaurant. Their pizza is much better than any of the franchise pizza delivery places.

OBTW, I'm getting real coffee to help keep everyone awake, if anyone wants decaf, let me know. I am also bringing bottles of water.

See you all on Saturday at 10:00.

More info:

Test location: Kings Park Library, 9000 Burke Lake Rd, Burke, VA 22015 (1.5 miles west of Kilroy's)
Date: Saturday January 27, 2018
Technician license class: 10:00 - 4:00 (yes, coffee & donuts in the morning and we will do lunch)
Tests for Technician, General & Extra licenses: 4:00 If you don't need/want to attend the class for the technician license and just want to take a test show up at 4:00.
What to bring: Government issued ID (drivers license) If you are already a ham, bring your ham license.

Background info: There are 3 (technician, general and extra) Amateur (Ham) Radio licenses. The technician is the first level which is the most useful for off-roading. The technician license provides operators with a variety of local comms capabilities. The general license offers operators access to frequencies that will provide extended (region, country and worldwide) coverage. Good to have if you are going to areas very far from civilization. The extra license just provides operators with some additional bandwidth, no additional comms capabilities.

Class for the Technician level license: For those of you planning to take the class for the technician license please print the 3 documents below and bring them to the class. The ncvec.org link will give you all of the possible test questions with answers. There will be 30 questions on the test. We will go over these in the class. Don't stress when you see the tech questions, there are easy, understandable explanations. Kids in elementary school (and seniors) have passed the test.

After you pass the technician test you can take the general test. Might as well, nothing to lose. We are not planning to cover any of the general license questions in the class. Maybe a few if there is free time before 4:00. If there is interest in getting the general license, we can have another class to cover those questions and offer the test. The extra license will require its own class. The questions & answers for those of you interested in taking the general & extra license test are here:

Additional study material for the technician, general & extra licenses can be found here:

Exam review: ARRL Exam Review for Ham Radio™ (no need to fill in the optional info page)
Exam prep: Instruction: Exam Practice and Review
General info: ARRL | Licensing, Education & Training | Getting on the Air
Also, Google ham/amateur radio test​

Attendance: So far, the yes/maybe attendance list:
HAKALUGI
BOB B
JAKES40
IPTMAN
TRAVELDUD
VON HAYEK & BROTHER
ID COWBOY
LOW & SLOW
STUMPALAMA KM4SXK (general test)
FJFAR80
MACATTACK-GA
DEVILMANS HAND KK4SNQ (general test)
CAZ
CRUSHA
JROSS
FJ DEMON
DOMINICAN FJZ80
CANUCK VA
HOUNDDOG
ESTMEDICINALUTO
SCHMUCKSTER

Most important... If you plan to attend and you are not on the list please let me know so I am sure to bring enough donuts & coffee for everyone.

Apinti KM4EKU & StaleAle KK4SOC will be assisting me with the class.

See ya on the 27th,
Ed WA3TOL

@Jakes40

Sorry guys, but I won't be able to make the testing session tomorrow. The dreaded cold/flu season has struck home.

Please keep me on the list if there's another testing session.

Jake - thanks for the invitation to ride with you. Since you are so close we should meet up over lunch. There's a great sandwich shop near the Charles Town Wally World.

@Jakes40

Sorry guys, but I won't be able to make the testing session tomorrow. The dreaded cold/flu season has struck home.

Please keep me on the list if there's another testing session.

Jake - thanks for the invitation to ride with you. Since you are so close we should meet up over lunch. There's a great sandwich shop near the Charles Town Wally World.

Yes we should I'll let you know. Maybe one of these cold days we can't do anything outside the house but need to get out of the house.

I made it 1/3 through the License Manual then lost time...

See ya'll in the morning. This will truly be a test of my short term memory (also not my strong suit).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom