Lifting the tundra? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all. I have a father in law that is wanting to sell me his 2008 tundra. He would give me a good price but I would have to lift it to do what I need. I searched and didn't find a thing on lifting these trucks here. Just wanting to know how the lift kits are? Or if these trucks are better left alone.

Also how high would I have to go to fit 33-35s. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

I have 35s on my '07 RCSB. It's only leveled, with some cheapo MB Wheels in lower than stock offset. It rubbed on the plastic in the front of the front wheels (front bumper trim). It also rubs a tiny but on the body mounts on the front. A body chop mod is pretty popular.

20160625_174352.jpg

That's a nice looking truck TonyP. When it is rubbing a tiny bit on the body mount is that in full flex?

That's a nice looking truck TonyP. When it is rubbing a tiny bit on the body mount is that in full flex?

The body mount rubbing is in the rear of the front wheels. I have the truck at full flex (front and rear) frequently on the trails and didn't notice an increase rubbing at that spot. The stock castor angle seems to work out in this situation.

Of course I could just trim and fill the body mount, or just cut it for clearance. But laziness wins and it doesn't bother me or that much and it doesn't damage the tires at all.

Suspensions and lifts abound for the 2nd Gen Tundra. They share the front suspension, as well as other parts, with the 200 Series Land Cruiser. 35" tires on stock wheels will clear with minor plastic trimming... But may rub slightly on the front sway bar. Various combos will rub the body mount, but it is easy to cut and mod it. Give a budget and I'll be happy to make some recommendations. Here is my Tundra back in 2009... 35" Cooper STT and no lift.

image.jpg

I don't have a budget yet. I guess it depends how good a price I get on the truck. I would like to have 35s with out rubbing at all. With good articulation. Probably around $2000 budget.

My 35in Cooper ST Maxx with wheels is probably around that price, maybe a bit more. They're probably the best AT tire I've used.
But remember you might want a leveling. I have leveling shocks/springs but you could go the cheap route with spacers, not that I recommend that.

295/75R18s (34") will fit with a 3-1 leveling kit with trans drOP and some inner fender liner and skid plate trimming.
I had 305/65R18 BFGs on my 07 and am currently running 275/75R18 Terra Grapplers on a 3-1 levelling kit.
Tundratalk.com is a good forum to see different lift options.
20161116_173114.jpg

Mine is on 33s with an Icon suspension package. Which is basically a really fancy leveling kit at this point. The rear is just a shock upgrade but I added airbags for towing. The front is a really nice coil-over that is adjustable from 0''-3.5''. I have mine turned up to about 1-1.5'' to level it out with 33's but when I bump up to a 35 in the future I'll crank those things up and go with some better springs in the rear. I also have total chaos upper control arms which are sweet! but excessive for most people. But this truck has performed flawlessly with this setup, just wish I had gone with 35's the first time. Keep in mind when adjusting your coil-over height you are also affecting your alignment, especially camber so that will need to be adjusted afterwards (not something you want to play with a lot).

Spacers are cost effective but inadequate if your going to use your truck offroad much. If you just want to squeeze in 35's for looks then spacers are the way to go.

IMG_2232.JPG

I think the $2000 budget would just be for the lift not counting tires. I would be off road often so I don't want anything just for looks but would consider 33. I think I would rather just go 35s though. I would like to keep the ride as close to stock feel as possible. Cwwfj60 does the Icon coil-overs ride as good as stock? Nice trucks guys thanks for all the feedback. Giving me some good ideas.

I think the $2000 budget would just be for the lift not counting tires. I would be off road often so I don't want anything just for looks but would consider 33. I think I would rather just go 35s though. I would like to keep the ride as close to stock feel as possible. Cwwfj60 does the Icon coil-overs ride as good as stock? Nice trucks guys thanks for all the feedback. Giving me some good ideas.

I LOVE the icons, that being said I have them adjusted rather conservatively. I would bet they would handle the extra height very well. They do very well at speed, maybe slightly stiffer on the around town potholes and bumps but over all much better. I'm curious how the stage 2 or 3 would compare. The ones I have are the more basic, non-reservoir style "stage 1" . All in all though, I highly recommend them.

I'm also looking for a good 3/1 leveling option. Unfortunately, it feels like there are limitless combinations which make the search frustrating at best. I think I have it narrowed down to Bilstein 6112 in the front and shackles in the back but can't figure out what I'll also need. UCAs? Diff lowering?

I also have the Icon stage 1 kit and love it. I have them set to about 2.5" with 2 coachbuilder shims on each side to give me 3.5" in the front and coachbuilder +2 shackles in the rear for about 1.25". I also have TC UCAs and a diff drop and my truck rides like a dream on and off road. Highly recommend this setup to anyone, I'm also running 35/12.5/17 on a 0 offset wheel and only rub the body mount while reversing with full lock to the right.

+25mm wheel offset is right combo to fit a 35" tire. With your budget you go Billstein 6112 front and 5100 in back. More than 2" lift would need UCA and diff drop kit. You can fit 35" with 2" lift and +25mm wheel offset. Stock rims and tires you can go as high as 33" tires without rubbing UCA, sway at or body mount.

For my setup, I am running Icon stage 2 and Camburg UCA, diff drop, custom sway bar drop bracket, +12mm wheel offset, body mount trim and east coast gear supply driver side front axle bushing. I am currently at 2.75" height in front. I have 35x12.5x18 open country M/T tires and they rub due wheel offset and tire width.

Wheel offset and tire combo is key. Wider tires may need trimming.

I have 35s on my '07 RCSB. It's only leveled, with some cheapo MB Wheels in lower than stock offset. It rubbed on the plastic in the front of the front wheels (front bumper trim). It also rubs a tiny but on the body mounts on the front. A body chop mod is pretty popular.

20160625_174352.jpg
Wow, That is a nice truck. I sold my 98 Tacoma and I been looking for two weeks for a regular cab Tundra. I would like something with less then 100K. No luck at all. Enjoy it. Is beautiful

37's now. but 35's fit great with a simple 2-2.5" front lift and if you've got the 5.7 it does not need a gearing change with 35's.

IMG_6881_zpsbzqka0mu.jpg

tundratalk.com has a suspension section full of information

Wow, That is a nice truck. I sold my 98 Tacoma and I been looking for two weeks for a regular cab Tundra. I would like something with less then 100K. No luck at all. Enjoy it. Is beautiful
curious as to what your draw to a regular cab is?

there's one i pass at a local shop that's for sale. if it's still out i'll check the mileage, although i'm on the other side of the country

curious as to what your draw to a regular cab is?

there's one i pass at a local shop that's for sale. if it's still out i'll check the mileage, although i'm on the other side of the country

I already have a double cab that I use for work and I always wanted a single cab. I like the looks with bigger tires and a small lift. Thank you for looking but I found one with less then 20K in Maryland and this is how it looks a month latter.
IMG_0678.JPG
IMG_0679.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom