CampTeq 80 Series popup camper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's now official

IMG_6404[1].JPG

Last edited:
That thing is bad ass and way ahead of its time, Alu Cab had a similar design, but I think Phil perfected the use and platform with his 400 thread count custom expedition pillow. The setup is crazy, takes fast seconds to setup! When I first saw it I never looked at the RTT's the same again. Phil has also wheeled the s*** out of that thing since its install. Im waiting for the LCP edition as well, 100 series and 120 platforms.

Assuming you mean 'collectors edition?'

I was really hoping for;

Campteq
LCP Product

And where's the 4 years review of what you'd change, what you've improved upon, etc.? Inquiring minds and all.

The 4 year is pretty boring -

Negatives - Changes and improvements would only be better water protection of my last minute addition velcro back window. Even with the leak it worth it to me to be able to lay in bed and see the stars and the sky. I do now have a rain fly for the window if it does rain but it would be nice if it was installed waterproof.

Positives - I frequently go place I could never take ANY other RTT made and it would of survived. Its lighter and lower (135lbs and 5" above roof) than any other RTT made and can easily support 500# on top. CampTeqs profile matches the angle of the windshield and sides almost to point of making me believe I get an increase of MPG with it. My travels with combined street and dirt average consistently 14-14.5mpg GPS. Set up and put down with the ladder is less than 5 min together. I frequently drive until dark to maximise daily scenery and wildlife. With CampTeq you dont camp you travel! The only time I see over 12 hours in the same place is with a group. Solo travel with CampTeq if by far the most efficient way to travel, stop when dark, up with the sun and gone with the wind! ;)

My biggest and only regret with CampTeq is that I did not have one 40 years ago.

Phil have you ever done a video or complete overview of your camp or vehicle setup? I think its pretty interesting and unique overall. Not sure if you are still using the same water system but those water bags were awesome! I can say that a lot of really unique, and very practical ideas have come out of the LCP Puzzle Palace. The CapTeq is just another great addition.

Negatives - you forgot not being able to access the inside of the vehicle from your tent. :D

My choice, I have thought about it but I would need to give up my sleeping system and thats a luxury Im not willing to give up. Having 2"+ of box spring travel and a 3" EXPED is second to none when it comes to a sleeping system.:)

Last edited:
That one appears to be built into the roof any more details on it?

Really no different than mine including the width and length just uses RR track where mine uses the gutter for attachment.

Haven't seen that one Phil. Looks similar but taller than yours and the Urocamper Oryx. Any other details? JDM or Middle eastern rig?

Did you know there a 100 poptop just south of your hood now.:worms:

Cant remember who did it but IIRC its from Germany.

Gotta be those Maltec guys? Those are the only hundos I've seen with a pop top. Although i guess it could have been a Desert Tech?

Regarding the Uro-Camper Oryx the problem I see is that I don't think they're removable! So what happens when I want to put it on another 80? Doesn't sound like an easy swap like the Campteq would be....

Oh, I held off on the camper, I'll keep saving my nickels if something becomes available, or I stumble across a unicorn. (actually saw a Campteq about a week ago in Loveland on a completely unmodified 80... no lift, no armor, nada) I left a business card letting him/her know I'd be interested if they wanted to sell it, and I'd pay top dollar. Gotta keep the dream alive bro.

@mervo

The above pictured could be installed and easily removable without cutting the roof. I have pictures of the raw roof without the headliner and for a roof cut the factory RR rails mounts would need to stay for not only attachment but for structure IMO. The part that disappointed me is that it cant be made wider than an 80 CampTeq if you want to keep a sleek design.

35 for whole rig, or just roof tent mod work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom