Headlight Adjusting Window Hazy/Foggy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

I just got some low beam LED headlight bulbs (temporary solution to the dim LX450 headlights) and decided to re-aim my headlights so I won't blind other drivers. Plus even with the halogen bulbs I could see that my drivers beam was too far to the right.

I looked in the FSM and found the headlight adjusting procedure. However both of my "windows" on the headlights for the adjustment were very hazy/foggy. I was able to polish one of them with rubbing compound enough to see the bubble and adjust the up&down aim. However my side to side window was way to hazy to polish by hand (seems like the haziness is throughout the plastic, not just the top surface). Therefore I have two different questions...

a. Can the adjustment "windows" be removed and reinstalled without breaking them or the headlights?

b. If you had the same problem how/what did you use to clean your adjustment windows?​

I had the same issue. I just laid out my masking tape “aiming grid” on my garage door, then turned my LED headlights on, and “walked” the beam where I wanted it to be by turning the adjusters. Just make sure to level everything out really good before starting. Good luck! I LOVE the LED replacements for my 9005&9006 bulbs!

I had the same issue. I just laid out my masking tape “aiming grid” on my garage door, then turned my LED headlights on, and “walked” the beam where I wanted it to be by turning the adjusters. Just make sure to level everything out really good before starting. Good luck! I LOVE the LED replacements for my 9005&9006 bulbs!

Yeah I'm definitely liking the upgrade so far! Definitely a lot brighter. So did you just disregard the adjustment windows and do it by sight? Aka drive up to a wall mark your grid and then backup 25 feet and aim the lights?

Yeah I'm definitely liking the upgrade so far! Definitely a lot brighter. So did you just disregard the adjustment windows and do it by sight? Aka drive up to a wall mark your grid and then backup 25 feet and aim the lights?

Yea. But check your specs! Land Cruisers are supposed to be aimed from 10 feet out..... not 25’. I don’t know why Toyota is the odd ball on distance, but 10’ is correct

Yea. But check your specs! Land Cruisers are supposed to be aimed from 10 feet out..... not 25’. I don’t know why Toyota is the odd ball on distance, but 10’ is correct

Ahhh thanks for the correct info! I'll give it a shot tomorrow night. I might try wet sand the windows and polish them to try to clean them up. I'd like to align everything to factory specs and then adjust from there. That way everything is even.

I think you’re right, that “haze” might go all the way through. I had some success with some polishing compound and one of those “plastic headlight lens” restoration kits, which is basically very fine sandpaper.

Why would it be different than every other vehicle on the planet?

plastic lenses often respond to brake fluid and/or toothpaste as a cleaner. Try a small spot on the edge and see how it does. I have used both on some of my kids cars to clean up the plastic head lights that so many cars have nowdays.

plastic lenses often respond to brake fluid and/or toothpaste as a cleaner. Try a small spot on the edge and see how it does. I have used both on some of my kids cars to clean up the plastic head lights that so many cars have nowdays.

I was able to polish one of them with rubbing compound but I'm worried about the other because it almost seems like it's deep into the plastic

Drops of water usually make those little windows usable again, but why bother?

They buff out just fine, mine look like new now took 5 mins

No need. Common sense, & consensus, says Mr. T is incorrect. :cheers:

Where is the headlight procedure? I am looking in 1994 and dont see it?

Update: I was able to clear up the lenses. Tried to polish with a dremel but failed. So I ended up wet sanding with 1000, 2500, and 3000 grit sandpaper. Worked pretty well.

My headlights are adjusted at 10ft currently. Is this the correct distance or should they be adjusted at 25ft? I absolutely hate when others cars headlights blind you so I don't want to be doing the same thing. Ha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom