Auxiliary Fuel Tanks for 200s (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

PHASE TWO OF FIRST TANK INSTALL

Cole left the truck off at Valley Hybrids so Dom and Georg could reinstall. There are a number of minor-ish mods that need to be made to mounts, spare mount and plumbing. They are making mods as needed - measuring, sketching and photographing their work to help our Lilydale partners fine-tune the kit to fully meet the needs of US trucks, owners and installing shops.

No tank tech photos from today, but here is a holiday snapshot of the LRA crew. We have met several of them in the past, but Georg and I will spend a week in Melbourne for meetings with all of our Australian partners later this Winter.

Fine folks and a pleasure to work with. :)

upload_2018-1-18_17-10-5.png

Pro/Con of a larger main tank in relation to an auxiliary fuel tank? U.S. vehicle laws?

Pro/Con of a larger main tank in relation to an auxiliary fuel tank? U.S. vehicle laws?
It is mostly a California regulatory thing and covers theoretical challenges of both aux and main replacement.

Is a larger main tank an option for the 200? I know it exists for the Tundra that starts with the same tank, but I thought there wasnt any room. Unless you go lower which would stick down, don't think I want that

Is a larger main tank an option for the 200? I know it exists for the Tundra that starts with the same tank, but I thought there wasnt any room. Unless you go lower which would stick down, don't think I want that
Once we get 200, and GX/4Runner aux tanks figured out, we will see if mains can be increased. LRA does not offer replacement mains for 200, Prado 120 or 150, so we would/will be starting from scratch.

Once we get 200, and GX/4Runner aux tanks figured out, we will see if mains can be increased. LRA does not offer replacement mains for 200, Prado 120 or 150, so we would/will be starting from scratch.
I forgot to mention that LRA has both auxiliary and replacement main tanks for US-spec FJ Cruisers. We have shipped/installed these kits and they work. We are also stocking them on the shelf in our warehouse.

Our marketing pieces are attached, but here is a photo of the 30 gallon LRA replacement main tank in the FJ Cruiser. Not sure if/how we can upsize the 200s and other Series, but will do what we can. As you can see, the FJC replacement does extend below the frame rails, but all that fuel has to go somewhere......

As with many issues on these rigs, design and operation involve a series of trade-offs....range vs. clearance, safety vs. cost, convenience vs. cost, etc.

There is another recent thread on MUD about ARB air lockers vs. Harrop/Eaton elockers. As noted there, we are not taking a position on what you should do, but to offer options about what you can do - so you can decide. Same thing goes for HP brake kits, suspension kits, upgraded auto trans components, etc. We provide options and a little (hopefully) objective information and you make the decision based upon needs, preferences, budget and life-cycle cost of ownership (acquisition cost, installation, maintenance and repair) for aslong as the component will be in the rig.

Tank size and clearance is an example.

upload_2018-1-19_5-28-5.png

Attachments

• Expedition Fuel Tanks - FJ Cruiser Main.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 89
  • Expedition Fuel Tanks - FJ Cruiser Aux.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 89
Tech? Yeah we got tech.......

Georg and Dom have been hard at work fine tuning the install kit on Cole's aux tank.

TIG welded fitting on filler neck to accommodate US emission system. Other than tank configuration to clear the canister, most of the issues we are dealing with are relatively minor, but they add up. Time consuming and expensive if you are trying to install an Australian tank / kit in a US spec vehicle.

Dominic Descent is an awesome tech, lucky to have his mad skills focused on this project.

upload_2018-1-19_5-51-29.png

upload_2018-1-19_6-9-28.png

"The "good" news is, the OEM fuel tank is the same part number for the '08-'17 Land Cruiser."

Same goes for OEM part numbers for Tacomas from 2005 to 2017 and Tundras from 2007 to 2017. LRA offers replacement main tanks for both Series, but has seen some "no go" installs depending upon cab (standard, access, quad) and box (short, medium and long) configurations. We are shipping truck tanks with a buy-back provision for versions that we have not yet installed.

"The "good" news is, the OEM fuel tank is the same part number for the '08-'17 Land Cruiser."

Same goes for OEM part numbers for Tacomas from 2005 to 2017 and Tundras from 2007 to 2017. LRA offers replacement main tanks for both Series, but has seen some "no go" installs depending upon cab (standard, access, quad) and box (short, medium and long) configurations. We are shipping truck tanks with a buy-back provision for versions that we have not yet installed.

Luckily, the LC doesn’t have different cabs or bed lengths so should only need one application from LRA for the main tank. :)

"Luckily, the LC doesn’t have different cabs or bed lengths so should only need one application from LRA for the main tank. :)"

Fingers crossed...will address this amongst other topics in Lilydale next month...

The flux capacitor return feed interfered with the lithium crystal coolant circuit, so Dr. Doom (Dominic) created a secondary port for the dark matter overflow line.....at least that's what Georg told me.....

upload_2018-1-19_9-29-41.png

Tech? Yeah we got tech.......

Georg and Dom have been hard at work fine tuning the install kit on Cole's aux tank.

TIG welded fitting on filler neck to accommodate US emission system. Other than tank configuration to clear the canister, most of the issues we are dealing with are relatively minor, but they add up. Time consuming and expensive if you are trying to install an Australian tank / kit in a US spec vehicle.

Dominic Descent is an awesome tech, lucky to have his mad skills focused on this project.

It's interesting to see the degree of differences between the same model car in different markets. Probably no other market shares the emission systems necessary on USDM vehicles. From a simple container, to a complicated system to keep everything happy, just to store extra gas. Keep up the good work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom