Long range excursion for 2018 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't know what constitutes a long range excursion, but I've been thinking of the Hatfield McCoy trail (Bearwallow is the only one that allows full size vehicles, but seems to have a good number of trails) in WV, or Black Mountain in Harlan, KY. Both trailheads are a 6-7.5 hour drive from NoVA; so maybe this qualifies...
I would be especially interested if we could camp trailside within the trail systems, so we could make it a true excursion, where we plan a route with the goal of going in one day with all our necessary gear and coming out 2-3 days later.
There is certainly a large variety of trails ranging from easy to wicked.
I envision a trip like this requiring trucks with at least 33" (maybe 35") tires, a winch, at least one locker and no fear of body damage. The goal would be challenge ourselves by "going without a net", meaning there is no going back to the campground or trail head to grab a spare or fix your junk.
This kind of wheeling requires a different mindset from our usual trips to Rausch or AOAA. There is more spotting, more winching, more teamwork and less "just giv'r".
Kinda like a Rubicon of the East.
What do you think?

Pretty sure I’ve done all the Hatfield McCoy via dirtbike except the newest two or so trailheads. It used to be a couple of the other new ones allowed tagged jeeps not just ohv’s? (Googled it, Ivy branch, which is now closed) “Not sure it’s quite what you’re describing or looking for since camping isn’t allowed on the trail system and the Jeep trails are honestly kinda limited if I remember correctly. But aren’t there some good several day backcountry routes on the upper peninsula of Michigan??

Last edited:
My place in moorefield is a cold weather camping option for next weekend if the rain in the forecast changes. I’ve got some trails and there’s a good system of private roads to explore, shooting is fine but I’m afraid of tannerite...

We used some Tannerite to dispose of some left over pumpkins - fun stuff and no mess to clean up.

Pretty sure I’ve done all the Hatfield McCoy via dirtbike except the newest two or so trailheads. It used to be a couple of the other new ones allowed tagged jeeps not just ohv’s? (Googled it, Ivy branch, which is now closed) “Not sure it’s quite what you’re describing or looking for since camping isn’t allowed on the trail system and the Jeep trails are honestly kinda limited if I remember correctly. But aren’t there some good several day backcountry routes on the upper peninsula of Michigan??
Yeah, I finally found that camping is not allowed on the Bearwallow trails...

I'm game for something around here. I'm sure Strite is too

See the story in the current Toyota Trails.

And which of us is the oldest?

I’m doing something that weekend as it’s blocked off. Relic run has always interested me, and it would be a good reason to wheel the red 78 40 with the rest of the museum pieces including Bob and Schmucko. I think it’s the same date as the Virginia cancer charity wheel too, so we have to decide which one.

April 26-29 - Carolina Relic Run:beer:

Last year's Relic Run was June 9-11th. Wonder why they pushed it up a month and a half. I'd definitely drive my 40 to this but continuing on my bad luck for 2018 events my wife's birthday is on the 28th. :bang:

I’m out of the country, returning on the 25th. I might be able to get my poop in a group in time but I’m old and worn out.

relic run is a good event. It has really grown over the last few years. I would say one of the biggest reason its now in April is the heat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom