Builds Starting an overland GX470 build and have a lot of questions... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I finally decided to build something from my absolutely stock 2006 GX470. My goal is to build decent overlanding rig for comfortable week-long solo travels, and first thing I'm going to invest in is a suspension and bigger tires.

My idea is to throw out factory shocks hardness control and air bags and install just coil springs and aftermarket shocks.

The first question I have is would 305/65/17 fit on stock rims and how much lift / what wheels do I need to make them fit?

Basically, my biggest concern with a lift is - it reduces wheel base (control arm angle increases -> wheel base decreases), so are there any decent lift kits with longer control arms? Or which kit people usually use?

I think for a mild overland build you don’t need LCAs. For that size tire you’re gonna need different wheels or at least spacers to clear the UCAs and body.

Check out here:
start [GX Offroad]

Ya, definitely use the search function. Join GXOR on FB if you’re on there, they have a huge database of lift components, wheel tire options and such. I would advise against going there and asking “will it fit” though. Do some research, look at peoples rigs and find out what look/functionality you want and go from there. All your answers are out there.

305s on stock wheels won’t be ideal. Curious why you were looking at that specific size. What sort of terrain are you building for and what tire brand/ model are you looking at?

For “overland” type build a lot of people like taller skinnier tires rather than shorter and wider. I would be looking at 255/80r17, maybe 285/70r17 or 285/75r17 or 34x10.5r17 if you want to step up to a 34. You could run those on stock wheels.

Do you have a budget in mind for suspension? There are acceptable ways to lift ranging from ~$500 to several thousand. For the rear to convert to coils you will need a conversion kit with axle perches and OEM ice cream cone bump stops, metaltech and SSO both make similar kits and the install is pretty straight forward.

For the most part components for FJ cruiser and 4th gen 4Runner will be compatible, so there are adjustable LCAs available, but if you are lifting to heights that would require that then you are getting into territory where things get complicated with the front suspension, basically when you start crossing 3”.

305s are a bit wide for a mild overland build. You'd have more options and less cutting/trimming to do if you went with 285/70s. Also, I'm fairly certain you'll need aftermarket wheels and/or UCAs to clear the 305s (possibly even the 285s).

The wheel base won't change nearly enough to notice with a mild lift. However, if you want to do a long arm kit, Metal Tech makes one.

There are tons of threads on how to disconnect, remove, and replace the airbags and factory coilovers/shocks, even how to replace the dampening controls with a coin holder! Happy building!

Last edited:
305s on stock wheels won’t be ideal. Curious why you were looking at that specific size. What sort of terrain are you building for and what tire brand/ model are you looking at?

For “overland” type build a lot of people like taller skinnier tires rather than shorter and wider. I would be looking at 255/80r17, maybe 285/70r17 or 285/75r17 or 34x10.5r17 if you want to step up to a 34. You could run those on stock wheels.

Do you have a budget in mind for suspension? There are acceptable ways to lift ranging from ~$500 to several thousand. For the rear to convert to coils you will need a conversion kit with axle perches and OEM ice cream cone bump stops, metaltech and SSO both make similar kits and the install is pretty straight forward.

For the most part components for FJ cruiser and 4th gen 4Runner will be compatible, so there are adjustable LCAs available, but if you are lifting to heights that would require that then you are getting into territory where things get complicated with the front suspension, basically when you start crossing 3”.

The area I live in is surrounded by a desert so I would prefere wide tires especially for such heavy car as GX. Currently I have 33" BFG Mud-Terrain tires almost new installed on my Jeep which I'm going to sell, so my plan is to sell Jeep with "stock-size" tires and use 33" for GX.

As for lift - if i really need one, my budget is "less then $1500" and I don't want to lift higher than 2.5". Does it make sense to look on Old man Emu lift kit?

The area I live in is surrounded by a desert so I would prefere wide tires especially for such heavy car as GX. Currently I have 33" BFG Mud-Terrain tires almost new installed on my Jeep which I'm going to sell, so my plan is to sell Jeep with "stock-size" tires and use 33" for GX.

As for lift - if i really need one, my budget is "less then $1500" and I don't want to lift higher than 2.5". Does it make sense to look on Old man Emu lift kit?
Dobinsons.

Is desert running would involve hours of high speed running? The only one in your budget that would survive is only Ironman Foam Cell Pro and Dobinsons MRR.

Why do you need wide MT tires for desert running? I would think AT tires would work better.

Is desert running would involve hours of high speed running? The only one in your budget that would survive is only Ironman Foam Cell Pro and Dobinsons MRR.

Why do you need wide MT tires for desert running? I would think AT tires would work better.

From personal experience I know that BFG MT tires perform much better than AT in sand, rocks and obviously mud... AT is a good choice for a daily driver or long road trips and occasional moderate off-road. I want to build dedicated dessert runner, in addition I already have these tires)

Last edited:
One more questions:
does removing air suspension and "adjustable hardness" shocks affect some electronics? does it get crazy because some sensors missing?

For what it's worth: Expeditions West: Tire Selection for Expedition Travel

My questions are not about expedition builds or orr-roading, I've been wheeling off pavement for almost 10 years on 3 of 5 continents.
The area I have lack of knowledge in is modifications which make sense specifically for GX470. All my previous rigs where solid axle (UAZ-469 or Wranglers) and I know how lift affects Jeep characteristics, where is makes harm, which suspension modifications make sense and which are waste of money, what backspacing do I need to have no rubbing on tires and so on...

However GX is kinda a different beast for me. I never had to deal with pneumatic suspension and all those sensors / electronics stuff. Lift on independent suspension seems like more harmful then useful to me and backspacing information for GX is not that easy to find.

One more questions:
does removing air suspension and "adjustable hardness" shocks affect some electronics? does it get crazy because some sensors missing?

No

You remove 4 fuses and 1 relay, there are no warning lights or associated weirdness, the height indicator on the instrument panel goes dark and you can’t tell it’s there. There are no issues.

These 470’s are already a gas guzzler and have a hard time moving 4700 pounds I am wondering how much harder is it with 305 tires .

These 470’s are already a gas guzzler and have a hard time moving 4700 pounds I am wondering how much harder is it with 305 tires .

Mine's perfectly driveable. You want hard time moving, try an 80 series on 35's, lol. :p

My questions are not about expedition builds or orr-roading, I've been wheeling off pavement for almost 10 years on 3 of 5 continents.
The area I have lack of knowledge in is modifications which make sense specifically for GX470. All my previous rigs where solid axle (UAZ-469 or Wranglers) and I know how lift affects Jeep characteristics, where is makes harm, which suspension modifications make sense and which are waste of money, what backspacing do I need to have no rubbing on tires and so on...

However GX is kinda a different beast for me. I never had to deal with pneumatic suspension and all those sensors / electronics stuff. Lift on independent suspension seems like more harmful then useful to me and backspacing information for GX is not that easy to find.

The link that @GXLee gave you is a good read regardless of your off-road experience. It specifically talks about tire selection for desert terrain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom