Builds What did you do to your Land Cruiser/Toyota/Lexus 4X4 this week? (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Replaced the front spring shackles.

When I put the Skyjacker springs on I bought greasable shackle pins. A few months later Claudia had one of her greasable pins break out on the trail and I discovered that they were not the best choice.

They looked better than the 1971 vintage factory ones tho

DSC01337-small.jpg

The one pin has significant wear only a few years later - this is some seriously kr$ppy steel
7D_22329-small.jpg

1/3 has been worn off and this was going to break sometime soon (and probably at high speed or far into the boonies :skull:)
7D_22330-small.jpg

Got some new solid pin shackles from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters Cruiser Outfitters

7D_22327-small.jpg

Did a pre-trail repair on the new Aisin locking hub I installed on the passenger side.

The Warn hub I replaced used a bolt in the end of the axle to keep it from drifting into the birf, but the Aisin uses a snap ring.

The only snap rings I had were for my old FJ40 axles, and they were too small to fit on the Longfield axles.

I managed to stretch one out enough to fit in the groove, but it was only making contact in three places - the two ends and the center.

@murf brought me the correct snap rings on his Rug Road ROTM, and I installed one while the group was airing down.
Thanks again @murf :clap:

The stretched ring on the left - correct on the right.
7D_22332-small.jpg

Snapped into place and ready for Rug Road!
7D_22331-small.jpg

The 80 got some love. New radiator, new water pump, new oil pump cover oring and new front crank seal. Hopefully my oil leaks on the front end are gone for another 20 years. If someone is thinking of doing this work on their 80, I have all the tools to lend (30mm 3/4" socket, 2" pvc coupler and big ass torque wrench for the crank bolt). None of my 7 oil pump cover screws stripped which I was very happy about after reading the nightmare stories on MUD of others having issues.

New (used) 33" BFG Rubber, New Bilstien shocks, New Side View Mirrors, New wheels with center caps
*Special thanks to Murph, Camelback Toyota, FTBshop, Firestone Auto Care, Jacks Alignment, Fat Bobs Garage.com

The new KO2 tire seems a good bit wider in the tread that the previous KO version. Being wider, and this cruiser sitting lower than my previous, I need to test the rear tuck to see if it will rub on the fender opening. The tire/fender gap is about 1.5" smaller than my previous Fj40. These are my second time installing the bilstien are they are great. Now with a quieter ride the window glass rattling is driving me nuts. New window felt is next!

20180115_174339.jpg

20180115_080316.jpg

20180115_174519.jpg

20180115_174532.jpg

20180115_174319.jpg

Last edited:
New (used) 33" BFG Rubber, New Bilstien shocks, New Side View Mirrors, New wheels with center caps
*Special thanks to Murph, Camelback Toyota, FTBshop, Firestone Auto Care, Jacks Alignment, Fat Bobs Garage.com

The new KO2 tire seems a good bit wider in the tread that the previous KO version. Being wider, and this cruiser sitting lower than my previous, I need to test the rear tuck to see if it will rub on the fender opening. The tire/fender gap is about 1.5" smaller than my previous Fj40. These are my second time installing the bilstien are they are great. Now with a quieter ride the window glass rattling is driving me nuts. New window felt is next!

View attachment 1612372

View attachment 1612373

View attachment 1612374

View attachment 1612375

View attachment 1612376

Looking good Colin, I like how she's shaping up!

I replaced 4 of the exhaust 0 gaskets on the 80 between the cats and at the end of the manifold. Had a small exhaust leak that developed. Back to very quiet!

Replaced the front spring shackles.

When I put the Skyjacker springs on I bought greasable shackle pins. A few months later Claudia had one of her greasable pins break out on the trail and I discovered that they were not the best choice.

They looked better than the 1971 vintage factory ones tho

View attachment 1608954

The one pin has significant wear only a few years later - this is some seriously kr$ppy steel
View attachment 1608955
1/3 has been worn off and this was going to break sometime soon (and probably at high speed or far into the boonies :skull:)
View attachment 1608956

Got some new solid pin shackles from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters Cruiser Outfitters

View attachment 1608957

Kurt's spring pins have held up much better than the greasable - but I still managed to mangle two of them :hillbilly: or maybe three, I don't remember :rolleyes:

I transported a backyard BBQ/grill in the GX last night - the Home Depot helper dudes were impressed how much cargo room the truck had :D

today I showed the 40 to the lead contractor on the backyard BBQ remodel (and some other house repairs) and we talked cruisers when the granite guy didn't show up :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Insurance after reading all the horror stories about 3rd gen LBJ's. Inexpensive piece of mind if you ask me to a vehicle with over 200k that I have no clue if this was ever done. Old ones seemed to be tight, but the tires were showing some cupping on the inside...
Easy job with proper jack stand/jack placement, a BFH, and pry bar placement.
004.JPG
005.JPG

One less thing to worry about is this;
Ball Joint fail.jpg

Huge difference and highly recommended to everyone to tighten up your front end. I remember it years ago on the 40, and now appreciate the minor work involved to improve the handling on a Runner.

I lifted my 2007 GX 470 sport with KDSS with Radflo 2.5 coilovers ,TC UCA on stock trail wheels.
Full skids and sliders plan on running 32" KO2 tires.
IMG_0951[1].JPG
IMG_0948[1].JPG

I have also been building my 1988 toyota 3.4 swap Truggy on narrowed 1 ton axles , 40" tires it is ready for a good shake down run!
IMG_0537[1].PNG
IMG_0810[1].JPG
IMG_0754[1].PNG
IMG_0832[1].JPG

20180125_164939.jpg
Finished up OME lift on my Tundra, full spring pack in back, ride is greatly improved over the stock springs. 1st picture is after rear springs.

20180122_134838.jpg

20180124_130846.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom