Should I Get a 200?! (1 Viewer)

Get a 200 or No?!

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wish people would read the question the OP ACTUALLY asked instead of making suggestions he didn’t ask us for.

Should we also tell him what to eat, where to work, how many times to have sex with his wife?

Here is the question he asked again ......

Ummm, yea, we are answering his question if you read the first part of his post. The OP never mentioned if his wife will be taking the 200 off roading.

The family is growing and I need more room in the wife's vehicle.

I know a bit about 4Runners, having rented many of them and driven them many miles. For hauling my wife & children, the 200 gets the nod from me. Luxury, solid protection, full time 4x4, space, durability & the Land Cruiser name are my reasons.

I don't like driving the mini van and I don't do it very often, but it is a great practical kid hauler and grocery getter. Every single day I drive my LC it puts a smile on my face and I conciously think "I'm so happy this is my car." It is luxurious, it handles great, it is rugged and powerful all at the same time.

I'm lucky my wife does not drive and the youngest kid is in their 30's. Grand kids are not allowed in my 15 LX

My wife drives our 2008 as the family kid hauler, battle wagon, and aside from the crappy fuel economy, it makes a great kid hauler. We drive a lot, have to commute 30 miles to get to town for most things, etc. and I will say that we put up with the gaz guzzling because its an extremely safe vehicle. Its got to be one of the most solid suv's out there if not the most. I feel good that my wife and kids are running around in this very safe and reliable vehicle.
I think that the third row seats in the 200 are pretty darn good and work well for most kids/teenagers. (better than riding on the hump when I was a kid!)
We have an 80 series also, (I have owned another 80 and a 60), and the reliability and durability of the lc is second to none.
One of my buddies has a new Honda minivan, and I must say its got some fantastic features and much better fuel economy, but all said, my wife still prefers her 200.
j

Did you know that a minivan was so safe that it had zero deaths to its credit? (the Sequoia as well) I think people's image of minivans were from the 80's. Today's minivans handle like sports cars compared to a 200. Accident avoidance is safety too.

@LXstatic - you have not mentioned whether you go off-road or if you tow anything.

If you don’t really go off-road or tow, a 4Runner and a 200 are very compromised vehicles in terms of space and efficiency, among other things.

The 200 is probably the toughest and longest lasting vehicle you can buy, but it comes with a lot of compromises—especially at the price point—in terms of interior space, technology, fuel efficiency, etc.

The 5.7 you asked about is bulletproof. It’s been around for over 10 years and Toyota is still cranking it out in the 200, Tundra and Sequoia.

I disagree that A) a 200 is necessarily an enthusiast vehicle (almost every 200 I see is a soccer mom-mobile) and B) vehicle enthusiasts don’t buy minivans. I’m about as enthusiastic about vehicles as anyone and I’ve gladly owned many minivans along with sports cars and 4x4’s.

Enthusiasts appreciate vehicles that are designed for specific purposes and excel at those; whether in the sports car realm, off road, or handling the day-to-day grind.

There’s a lot of really weird insecurity surrounding minivans. Frankly, it’s bizzarre.

I don't think it's fair to call it insecurity, some people (myself included) just plain don't like them. I don't like cats either, but it's not an insecurity issue.

We actually have a new Dodge minivan in our garage right now, it's a rental while the Highlander is in the body shop getting a nose job. My wife didn't want to take it but it was all that Enterprise had on the lot. I can definitely get the attraction, the damned thing is huge inside and it's pretty clever how the seats disappear into the floor. I have to make my weekly run to the dump this morning, and I may take that instead, as I detest fighting with those stupid 2nd row seats in the Cruiser. What a terrible design. The sliding doors are so much easier to have in the garage too, and they are powered, just push a button.

If we had 3 or more kids to deal with, the minivan makes a lot of sense. It would suck to have to deal with the 3rd row seat in a Cruiser on a daily basis.

Ok, you just named some of the virtues of a minivan-things that make them uniquely competent in their mission of human and item transport (incidentally, the mission of all vehicles)-while saying you “just don’t like them.”

If it’s not insecurity, it’s at least cognitive dissonance.

Ok, you just named some of the virtues of a minivan-things that make them uniquely competent in their mission of human and item transport (incidentally, the mission of all vehicles)-while saying you “just don’t like them.”

If it’s not insecurity, it’s at least cognitive dissonance.
I think Ford does some things better than Toyota does, but I still wouldn't buy a Ford.

Why not Vellfire?

Vellfire 2.5G

upload_2018-1-13_12-7-15.jpeg

Last edited:
C6C8B38F-7473-42CE-86FB-272F5209D4D9.jpeg
D81D81F1-5686-4696-9622-19625F349BAF.jpeg
We have all three, wife still loves her 15 4Runner. Drives very car like, has 3rd row seats and gets 20mpg! If we have bad weather the 100 is our beater. Keeping it around for the kids, I hate driving the 4Runner, no power, poor fit and finish. I still love driving the 100.

It is hard to compare the 4Runner to s 200, for every 200 you buy you can get 2 4runner’s.

I suppose there is no practical reason to buy an LC unless you live in a country/region with no paved roads. It is, by all sane and objective metrics, a completely ridiculous and impractical item to own. There are better options for tow vehicles and better options for people haulers that will do the job better and cheaper.

I own an LC because I love the model as an enthusiast. I love the subtle eliteness of them. I love that I almost NEVER see them on the road. I can go weeks without seeing an LC200 and I love that. I actually love the lines of the design from every angle. I love that if you don't know what they are, you don't even know what you're looking at but if you DO know, you KNOW and you respect what you see. So many of the items I buy fall into that category. So, ask yourself if that's what you want and if it is, there is no substitute.

Well said, totally agree.

If you are looking for a used one, make sure it is rust free!

There are tons of 200’s in Atlanta, three just in my neighborhood. Do not settle and get a clean rig, mine spent it’s previous life at shopping malls and soccer fields in north west atlanta.

I suppose there is no practical reason to buy an LC unless you live in a country/region with no paved roads. It is, by all sane and objective metrics, a completely ridiculous and impractical item to own. There are better options for tow vehicles and better options for people haulers that will do the job better and cheaper.

I own an LC because I love the model as an enthusiast. I love the subtle eliteness of them. I love that I almost NEVER see them on the road. I can go weeks without seeing an LC200 and I love that. I actually love the lines of the design from every angle. I love that if you don't know what they are, you don't even know what you're looking at but if you DO know, you KNOW and you respect what you see. So many of the items I buy fall into that category. So, ask yourself if that's what you want and if it is, there is no substitute.
I could not agree more. I mirror your sentiments. I have always wanted an LC and appreciate it’s character and quality. Most people have no clue what an LC is. Hell, even loyal Toyota owners have no clue. When we purchased our 16 last year, the dealership stated that the St. Louis market only sells around 15-20 per year. I can go months without seeing another one.

I think you nailed it. I think it was disingenuous of the OP to post that his "growing" family needed a 200 and asked for our opinions. There's no "logical" reason to get a 200 as a family car, just admit that its an emotional decision. We all love the 200, exactly because its an honest and genuine car. So use it as a Mall Cruiser or as an off roader but don't try and justify it, just admit that its a cool car that you want to get. Nothing wrong with that. In which case, heck yea I recommend a 200.

I thought I made the logical decision when I went with the LX570 instead of a Supercharged Range Rover. It is more versatile and its the most reliable luxury vehicle I could get. I am also following the same logic by not trading it in and getting a G wagon. However, even though it started as a logical decision, We have bonded over the past year that I started buying her gifts such as new KO2 shoes.

You had me until you claimed that a 535 wagon is more comfortable than a minivan. lol. If your self image is so fragile that now you're going to get a commercial, ill handling, spartan Sprinter or Metris, over a purpose designed minivan, then there's no use discussing it. BTW any minivan destroys even full sized SUVs in cargo and total volume.

Lol you sure made an assumption that I did not in any way ..say... why the hell you talking about self image?

So you are actually going to deny the idea that a bmw seat and handling is NOT more comfortable than a minivan? LMAO Anyway, you’re also saying that some creature comforts of a little minivan somehow outweigh the vastly superior practical merits provided in the larger vans I suggested...? I think you missed the point.

In fact I stated why I’d never get a minivan, they’re too small and too limited for all that you give up in comfort, fun, other capabilities. Not an image issue dude!

I’ll restate that my bmw is in fact 1000% more comfortable and fun to drive than any minivan available from any maker.

I never mentioned self-freakin-image.

Maybe you have some predisposition to what you think BMW owners have for priorities LOL mine has a big ass dented fender (4 yrs now) so no, I don’t give a fxxx about image any more than I care my rover has a cracked windshield. I care that stuff works really well for its purpose.

Regarding the OP:

However, the point was that if I were opting for more space to haul “a growing family”, it wouldn’t be a LC 200 or a minivan, yet it would easily be any of: 4x4 sprinter, Nissan, full size Sportmobile type idea, etc - there are several choices in that vein right now and some are even very off-road capable and/or can tow, haul equipment, or function in so many ways they are really fun solutions.

(Started skimming/skipping when the flame war erupted) but can speak from experience with LC200, minivan, and Highlander. Factoring in the OP has a 100 series (IIRC) for off-roading, and OP didn't want a minivan (IIRC).
LC 200 is a pain in the butt for a family vehicle. Difficult for youngsters to get in/out of, limited cargo room for a weeklong family vacation (e.g. 4-5 ppl). Terrible mileage. Great truck, just not the right tools for the job (IMHO).
If a minivan is out, I suggest a unibody SUV, like the Highlander, Passport, MDX, etc. They are all generally built on the same platforms as the brands minivans, so should be as safe, better utility, better ride, handling, mileage, etc than a 200 series. Not quite sure about cargo volume, but should be plenty. (My wife's Odyssey can be cavernous, I believe outclassing a Tahoe/Expedition)

Just my opinion, as OP was asking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom