Stupid question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi I was hoping someone could tell me if when in 2wd in an fj62 the front driveshaft still spins when driving. Also, when parked and in 2wd with the hubs unlocked, should the front drive shaft turn freely? My front drive shaft u joint has a chewy spot on it and I'm trying to figure out if this is the cause for a grinding noise when driving in 2wd with the hubs free.

Generally speaking, the front driveshaft will spin as long as the front wheels can move and the transfer case is in 2wd. Locking hubs also won't impact the behavior of the front driveshaft.

I was wrong about this BTW. Check out other more knowledgeable posters in this thread for the actual answer.

Last edited:
Generally speaking, the front driveshaft will spin as long as the front wheels can move and the transfer case is in 2wd. Locking hubs also won't impact the behavior of the front driveshaft.
So are 62s diferent than 60s? The front driveshaft on my 60 turns freely by hand when in two wheel drive unless the hubs are locked. Once locked, the wheels make the driveshaft turn but no power goes to the front axle unless in four wheel drive.

So are 62s diferent than 60s? The front driveshaft on my 60 turns freely by hand when in two wheel drive unless the hubs are locked. Once locked, the wheels make the driveshaft turn but no power goes to the front axle unless in four wheel drive.
They're the same.

Front drive shaft only spins if the hubs are locked. Or the t-case in 4wd. You can spin the front driveshaft by hand if the t-case is in 2wd and the hubs are unlocked. If it's not doing that you may have a hub not disengaging.

If the grinding is mostly in turns the birfields might need replacement.
Moving metal needs energy that's why locking hub make sure the front axle does not spin when unlocked to save some energy.
And the front propeller shaft does not spin because the transfercase is in 2x2, my 60 is a rear wheel drive in 2x2.
That makes it easy to grease the zerc because the front propeller shaft is free spinning (if in 2x2)

So no, there should be no sounds from the front propeller shaft or/and spider universal joint when in 2x2.

U joint (landcruiser SPIDER KIT UNIVERSAL PROPELLER SHAFT UNIVERSAL JOINT)
part# 04371-36030 Stock Code 04371-36020; 04371-36021

To use the correct vocabulary, watson: :poop:
This shows the FSM difference in torque setting 74 or 88? :

file.php

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom