What should I do with my fzj 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks everyone! Y’all definitely have me leaning back towards the HG repair. If I wanted them to add a turbo to get a little more power, is there one y’all would recommend?

Don’t even think about it (turbo) if you’re paying someone else to do it! It’s gonna be a multi thousand dollar clusterfxxx guaranteed.

No shop will replace a hg / head job and do a turbo setup for 2-4K, are you kidding me
This is 80s tech man...all trucks are worth 2-4K tops and HG jobs should cost $650 and a six pack of Keystone Light.

How do you know these shops are “reputable”? They clearly don’t know anything about 80 Series Land Cruisers.

Take a deep breath. Go through the steps to diagnose that it is a HG. Then come back.

Until then you are in panic mode and chasing your tail.

Last edited:
How do you know these shops are “reputable”? They clearly don’t know anything about 80 Series Land Cruisers.

Take a deep breath. Go through the steps to diagnose that it is a HG. They come back.

Until then you are in panic mode and chasing your tail.

What he said, deep breath....

No shop will replace a hg / head job and do a turbo setup for 2-4K, are you kidding me

I meant the HG and associated parts, labour, while-you-are-in-there stuff would be $2k-$4k. $4k would be if the block needed to be decked and such.

If you choose to sell it let me know. I will give you a fair price for it.

If you choose to sell it let me know. I will give you a fair price for it.

If you part it, you know your fate. :devil:

==========================

@OP, download the FSM / buy a paper copy - read the proceedure for HG replacement.

The 1FZ is a well indexed motor, it is a GREAT 1st project to familiarize yourself with the motor.

If you have the time, some here have more time than $$$, some of us like a little grease in the pawprints & under the nails - therapy time.

Do yourself a favor and contact ACC in Atlanta. Seriously you are less than 2 hours from one of THE BEST Land Cruiser shops in the country. I think they sit right there with Slee and others. They are 100% honest and WILL NOT screw you. They are not cheap but i think a HG will run less than what you have been quoted. But the bottom ends on these trucks are really tough. Mine still had hone marks at 220K when i did my HG. If you get ACC to do your HG you will not get bull s***ed into getting a complete motor rebuild. Plus they will do it 100% right. I THINK they quated me around $2000-3000 for a HG but i honestly dont remember. I think it is around 10-15 hours labor.

Do yourself a favor and contact ACC in Atlanta. Seriously you are less than 2 hours from one of THE BEST Land Cruiser shops in the country. I think they sit right there with Slee and others. They are 100% honest and WILL NOT screw you. They are not cheap but i think a HG will run less than what you have been quoted. But the bottom ends on these trucks are really tough. Mine still had hone marks at 220K when i did my HG. If you get ACC to do your HG you will not get bull s***ed into getting a complete motor rebuild. Plus they will do it 100% right. I THINK they quated me around $2000-3000 for a HG but i honestly dont remember. I think it is around 10-15 hours labor.
Thanks for the advice. Their website looks good. I will give them a call

I will buy the whole rig from you as it sits if you chose to go that route, I have been looking for a night shadow 97 with out rust for a while..... All you have to do is call the bank and make sure the bank wire clears and mail me the keys and title and wait for the guy with the truck and trailer to get stop by and get it....

Currently I am leaning towards just getting rid of it. But if I can find a good reputable shop to do a good v8 conversion where all my stock equipment and gauges, etc work for a reasonable cost, I would consider going that route. I don’t have the time, equipment or space to DIY anything...

Bite the bullet, open your wallet again for the HG replacement (assuming its needed), then sell it.

The stealership you bought it from is known to be pretty sketchy.

Make sure all the suspension components are installed correctly.

I’d also look at the bumpers and everything else. I guarantee that they added all that stuff just to sell it.

Bummer about the HG.

I had my local shop go over it completely when I first purchased it. There were a few minor wiring issues and the cruise control wasn’t working, but otherwise they said everything looked great. The alignment was also off and they had to do a full alignment. But other than that it was in good shape until the head gasket issue.

Also, another very reputable cruiser shop in my area (recommended by a forum member) quoted $4k on HG. I think I am going to open the wallet and have it fixed.

For those who have commented on being interested in purchasing it, feel free to message me if it’s a serious and realistic offer. However I am in pretty deep on this rig and I might as well fix it and enjoy it.

Thanks again to the community for all the feedback and advice. Very helpful

At this point I’d pay the $4k and get it fixed. You will NEVER get a reasonable offer for what you have in it. When it’s done you will have a well sorted rig that you won’t have to worry about.

Good luck!

At this point I’d pay the $4k and get it fixed. You will NEVER get a reasonable offer for what you have in it. When it’s done you will have a well sorted rig that you won’t have to worry about.

Good luck!

That’s what I thought about my 71 Ford Broncos as in two. Sold one for 2,000 and one for 2,250. because I wanted a new ‘85 Bronco. It was white like OJ’s and was always a problem. The two square Ford Broncos are collectible as hell now and start in fair condition for $25,000. I think the LC 80’s will increase in value. Hang on to it and enjoy it. I won’t sell my ‘93 and I’ve been asked many times. I get notes on it from time to time from buyers but she’s not for sale.

Like Rigidarm said, the venerable LC80 is going up in value and destined to become a cult classic!! Stay invested my friends. I still own two early Broncos and I honestly rather wheel my 80 even though it's a under-powered luxury slug compared to my well tuned FOMOCO product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom