How to Make SST 09817-16011 ( Special Service Tool ) For H55F Back-UP Switch Use & more ...... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ToyotaMatt

Factory Focus-Point Mind-Set Approach
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
vintageteqparts.com
How to Make SST 09817-16011 ( Special Service Tool )
For H55F use
&
more .....

I Recently had the Experience of having the Need to replace the Backup Lamp Switch on a H55F that was from my viewpoint a clean conversion . The 1/79 FJ43L-KC came to my shop due to a no Back-Up Lamps Issue , I assumed it was a wiring problem of some sort & traced the 2 Leads to be frayed at the switch itself where they come out the " Micro Rubber Grommet " .

As i was examining the Leads the HEX shape switch began to move to my surprise and was simply finger tight / loose .

I then Sourced A New JDM switch & after removing old bad one by hand , installed new Switch & a
New OEM Crush Ring Gasket 90430-A0003 by hand . This is when I Reached for the 27mm pause button
.........o_O

There are casting details on this H55F to the aluminum shift tower that will cause interference & prevent
the Use of a standard combination wrench box or open end to turn & use in order to Torque Down and seat the New back -Up light switch , and Aluminum Crush Ring Gasket

The P.O's in Bogota , Columbia seem to had the same issue 10+ Years ago and why they never finished
this job that day either ?

I Immediately thought of a O2 sensor socket & Hunted for the correct size 27mm at all my local
auto parts store's , NAPA & even called my Snap-On man who said a week or two and like
$100 + ...:confused:

With money & time on mind I decided to consult my Trusty Shop manual Pub. No. 36262E

Chassis body ( Heavy duty) 60 & 70 Series to see what if any SST Special service Tool Toyota Recommends . There diagram shows what looks like a BIG O2 sensor socket with handle and groove on one side for clearing the Leads coming out side of a Back-UP switch or 4WD indicator switch as well .

I decided to try to make my own Using A Thin Wall 27MM Chrome Socket , as a Black impact type will be to thick and Not clear the shift tower casting design features . I purchased a 27mm Deep 1/2" drive Chrome 6 point at Pep-Boyz for under $10

I took some basic measurements and marked the socket with body shop tape ,also body shop tape prevents chrome from chipping on edge like glass , using a dremmel tool & a reinforced disc. carefully cut away only ONE of the 6 HEX sides out , having to use notch's at the 2 intersection cuts at the top . if more then one Hex is cut away the socket will loose it's grip and bite ability

I later found out toyota's SST is a 12 point socket , but only high end tool suppliers like snap-on sell a 27mm 12 point deep 1/2" drive chrome , & the 6 point did the job just fine

I then used a small round cylinder shape dremmel grinding stone to ease inside corners and other sharp edges that could cut the new Leads up while My NEW / NOS Shop -Made SST would now be in use !
;)

The end result was My Custom Shop-Made SST 09817-16011 ( Special Service Tool ) did the job on the back-up switch install as outlined in Shop manual Pub. No. 36262E Chassis body ( Heavy duty ) page MT-38 & C-6

If anyone has the / a original Toyota SST 09817-16011 ( Special Service Tool ) Back-UP switch socket please post a photo of it , Thanks !

Last edited:
DSCN5340.JPG
DSCN5350.JPG
DSCN5344.JPG
DSCN5342.JPG

And the great thing is you didn't have to spend $100 for the tool!

That's right ! ;)

I Upgraded & Spent it on FULL Synthetic Valvoline Gear Oil Instead

Nice work!

I did the same though I used a 5" angle grinder - all I had handy at the time.

5" angle grinder = now

;)

Nice!

Curious is the 60 series top cover tighter then the 40 series cover as far as the reverse light switch. Just removed mine on a 40 series cover by using a 1 1/16" open end wrench by going straight down from the top and using a 12" crescent wrench on the flat part just above the switch. Once loose spun right out.

Nice work grasshopper. I have made several SSTs over the years, including the ones for the carb. When Marv Spector gave me a SST set for my 50th birthday, I had to of course try them out.

I found I prefer my homemade ones.

Curious is the 60 series top cover tighter then the 40 series cover as far as the reverse light switch. Just removed mine on a 40 series cover by using a 1 1/16" open end wrench by going straight down from the top and using a 12" crescent wrench on the flat part just above the switch. Once loose spun right out.

I can't say what H5## / 5spd equipped Model Toyota Vehicle this top & Gear box cover came out of ?
The 1/79 FJ43L-KC Was imported From Columbia 12 years ago before the whole FJ43 Import Revolution really began , The Truck Does have 70 Series Front & Rear Differentials , so that's a clue there

There is no clearance for any wrench even if the shift tower was on my work bench from any angle , The chrome thin wall socket SST i made was a minimum clearance fit as well

The Transmission service cover was modified / cut out & patched so Both shifter stick holes are set further back by Approx. 2' inches

I know there are different 5spd Top Covers / shift towers , But I don't know how many ?

Note My photos & see the tight clearance on the Transmission Hump & Service cover hole - Lip / opening where the back-up switch is located

how are the proportions / clearances on your 60 series ?

Last edited:
I can't say what H5## / 5spd equipped Model Toyota Vehicle this top & Gear box cover came out of ?
The 1/79 FJ43L-KC Was imported From Columbia 12 years ago before the whole FJ43 Import Revolution really began , The Truck Does have 70 Series Front & Rear Differentials , so that's a clue there

There is no clearance for any wrench even if the shift tower was on my work bench from any angle , The chrome thin wall socket SST i made was a minimum clearance fit as well

The Transmission service cover was modified / cut out & patched so Both shifter stick holes are set further back by Approx. 2' inches

I know there are different 5spd Top Covers / shift towers , But I don't know how many ?

Note My photos & see the tight clearance on the Transmission Hump & Service cover hole - Lip / opening where the back-up switch is located

how are the proportions / clearances on your 60 series ?

Mine is a 40 series not a 60 series. Pretty there is only one 40 series cover. The shift cane is at the front. Every other cover the shift cane is towards the back. How many versions of that style I don't know. There isn't clearance for a wrench coming from the side. Only coming from the top and even then only clearance on the side, the back is too close. No leverage with just the wrench the crescent wrench provides leverage. Usually working on running gear with oil and a fine thread just loosening is all it takes to spin it off. Since I only work on my own stuff if I can figure a way to get around make a SST style tool I will. I was able to use a old HVAC fan hub puller to pull the counter shaft front bearing without modifying anything. If I needed would certainly cut a notch in a socket to remove the reverse like. Was just glad I didn't have grind a couple arms on my one of my pullers to remove the counter shaft bearing. Socket can be bought one at a time pullers are a set.

Mine is a 40 series not a 60 series. Pretty there is only one 40 series cover. The shift cane is at the front. Every other cover the shift cane is towards the back. How many versions of that style I don't know. There isn't clearance for a wrench coming from the side. Only coming from the top and even then only clearance on the side, the back is too close. No leverage with just the wrench the crescent wrench provides leverage. Usually working on running gear with oil and a fine thread just loosening is all it takes to spin it off. Since I only work on my own stuff if I can figure a way to get around make a SST style tool I will. I was able to use a old HVAC fan hub puller to pull the counter shaft front bearing without modifying anything. If I needed would certainly cut a notch in a socket to remove the reverse like. Was just glad I didn't have grind a couple arms on my one of my pullers to remove the counter shaft bearing. Socket can be bought one at a time pullers are a set.

What shift cane ( Tower ) is in my photo's above and what Series donor vehical did It come out of do U think ?

The picture above looks like either from a 60 or 70 series. 40 series the shift tower would be further forward. Not sure if the H55F had more than one version of the 60/70 series. 10/85 the transmission had a update which I do not know of it effected anything on the top cover.

I have two drawers in my tool box of modified tools - or known as "on site SST's" . Various cut-up sockets, welded or bent wrenches, unrecognizeable screwdriver tools and a plethora of crazy looking home brewed pullers - I use them all the time and some get further mods to make it work for what job is in hand. Almost every shop mechanic has some wrenches that were bent with a gas ax - it's a necessity of the industry...

Sarge

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom