2018 Rubithon Wagon Run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MountNGoat

KK6WRY. Always Learning
GOLD Star
Threads
Edit: As of March 5th the Wagon Run is full and not accepting any more signups, but do check out the other runs to see if one seems like a good fit for you.

Happy New Year to everyone! I hope your 2017 was good and you're as excited as we are for this year's 30th Annual Rubithon and the Wagon Run. We're really looking forward to it and seeing friends, old and new.

I'm not sure who coined the term "Pryor Clan", but it's kinda stuck. The Wagon Run has definitely been a family affair for us. My truck (Hi, I'm Steve) is an '87 FJ60 with my wife Andrea as copilot, my son Justin (@justintpryor ) drives his '97 FZJ80, whereas my other son Johnathan (@JohnnyOshow22 ) drives his '97 LX450, and it's not unusual for more family and friends to come along. So on behalf of all of us, we are looking forward to wheeling with you! Because the Wagon Run often sees a lot of new people, I will probably over communicate here, but you veterans please chime in when I miss the inevitable.

Let's tackle logistics. The Wagon Run will begin at 7 am Wednesday June 20th from the staging area at Loon Lake. If you've never been there before, it's at the end of Ice House Road, which heads north from Hwy 50 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe. Just follow Ice House Road to the end, go around Loon Lake, cross the dam, and pull in line where you see all the wagons :). Because of the 7 am start time most people elect to camp in the vicinity of Loon Lake the night before. From 7-8 am we will be conducting safety checks, distributing packets, and after a drivers meeting we will hit the trail. There are going to be A LOT of people this year, and we wagons aren't known for being the fastest rigs over trail, so it is crucial that we are rolling out by 8 am. Day 1 will see us into Buck Island lake. Day 2, Thursday, will see another early start for the same reason, and we will tackle the second part of the trail into Rubicon Springs. Friday and Saturday are complete R&R days at the springs. Swimming, hiking, swapping lies, keeping the chair from getting airborne - you name it. Sunday is departure day up Cadillac Hill. There can be some tough obstacles on Cadillac Hill but there is always a local crew stationed along the trail to help out, keep people in their trucks, and keep the whole procession moving. Technically the Wagon Run is over when we get into Rubicon Springs, but often there are a lot of us leaving at about 6:30 am Sunday morning if you want to join us.

Minimum Wagon Run vehicle requirements:
2.5" lift and 33's
Lockers front and rear
Front, rear, side and under belly armor (see post #35 here 2018 Rubithon Wagon Run for more info)
Winch
2m HAM communication capable*
Recovery Gear: Heavy Strap (no hooks on the ends), shackles, snatch block (The Rubithon signup page will also list mandatory safety and recovery gear). Make sure these items are handy, along with your fire extinguisher.

Note that if you are only sporting 33's and a 2.5" lift, expect to spend a lot of time testing your sliders and rear bumper, and stacking rocks. Ask me how I know ;).

Miscellaneous:
Pre-made lunches for Wednesday and Thursday are a great idea because we will not be stopping for a formal lunch break either day. Have some food ready to grab on the trail at the inevitable stops while we push through obstacles.
It is HIGHLY recommended that you have a copilot that can aid in spotting you or stacking rocks if needed. If you're coming with another rig and can help each other out that's great. While myself, Justin and Johnathan, and others will be there to assist, it's tough for us to be everywhere at once. Often all that's needed to keep moving is a strategically placed rock to lift your hung up diff up and over said hang up.
Get signed up soon! We will limit the run to 20 trucks total, and it's first come, first served. If the interest is overwhelming we will consider how to handle the additional requests.
Is it possible to drive the trail clean and not even scratch your truck? Yep. Just like it's possible to win the lottery. If you can't look at your truck, envision the rear quarter panel caved in, and say, "I'm okay with that!", then that isn't the truck to bring to the trail. (Full disclosure: I caved in my rear Pside quarter panel my first time through, and last year added a nice crease in my Dside rear door).
Spare Parts: One of the reasons for going with a group of like vehicles is the higher probability of finding spare parts if needed (be sure to bring some yourself!). So if you're a 4Runner, etc., be sure to bring whatever spare parts you think you might need.
Water: There's plenty of it on the trail but you will need to filter it or boil it to ensure it is potable. The air is dry, and it can be very, very hot, so whatever you decide make sure you have plenty of water.
Readiness: It goes without saying that your truck should be in top working order. Get your repairs done well ahead of time so that they can be tested. Rubicon is also not the place to bring a truck that you are unfamiliar with, haven't had much off road time with, and it's definitely not the place to learn to drive a manual transmission.

*Let's talk about communications. We will be using 2m Ham for our communications, most likely 146.400, and it is essential that everyone is set up for this. We will not have a CB channel. Ham requires a license to talk. This can seem a bit daunting, but honestly it's not that bad. There are a number of inexpensive online courses to help you study, and it doesn't require a huge time commitment. Also, your local club may host a study session and test, which is how Johnny just got his license. Handheld units manufactured by Baofeng are very cheap these days and will do the job - particularly with a $14 ancillary mag-mount roof antennae. I can't stress enough how important having this communication channel is. If you're planning to go and have ANY concerns about this, please PM me and we can discuss some more.

That's about it for now, but check back frequently for updates and additional information. If you've got questions that you don't want to throw up here, just PM me and give me a day or two to respond.

Edit: Registration is now open!!
REGISTRATION – Rubithon

Edit: When registering, only select the Wagon Run if you plan to begun the run with us from Loon Lake. Otherwise, select a Renegade Run during registration.

Thank you,
The Pryor Clan :bounce::bounce2::bounce::bounce:
Steve, Andrea, Justin and Johnny

13501798_681105325361090_8622038130120168668_n-jpg.1361886

Last edited:
Alright! Subscribed.

Hello @MountNGoat, short of a Winch, I currently meet the requirements, and want to verify you are comfortable with a 100 series on this run? Before then, I plan on adding the Winch, and moving up to 35's (also a 1" body lift to alleviate any rubbing).

Let me know if you would like to discuss this, or have any other concerns.

Thanks,
Ron

Well that is the week my daughter is due so as much as I want to finish my project in time I don't think I would be able to go.

Hello @MountNGoat, short of a Winch, I currently meet the requirements, and want to verify you are comfortable with a 100 series on this run? Before then, I plan on adding the Winch, and moving up to 35's (also a 1" body lift to alleviate any rubbing).

Let me know if you would like to discuss this, or have any other concerns.

Thanks,
Ron

Hi Ron,

Yeah, get the winch on and at least 33's/2.5" and sounds like you're all set. Obviously the sheet metal on a 100 series is nice, but others have done it before. Keep in mind one of the challenges of Rubithon is that we have to keep moving because there are so many other trucks on the trail. The implication there is that while we will do what is necessary to get through, we won't have the time at each obstacle to build the perfect line. Have you been on the Rubicon before? That's one of the amazing things about this trail - the obstacles just keep on coming. But it's a lot of fun to wheel! Have you run an IFS vehicle on trails like this before? I'm not the one to tell you the differences between IFS and solid axles, but others who've done both assure me there are some important differences. Hopefully someone reading this will jump in and share their insights.

Steve

This will be my first time driving the rubicon and my first time at RUBITHON.

How do I sign up for the wagon run?

Hi Ron,

Yeah, get the winch on and at least 33's/2.5" and sounds like you're all set. Obviously the sheet metal on a 100 series is nice, but others have done it before. Keep in mind one of the challenges of Rubithon is that we have to keep moving because there are so many other trucks on the trail. The implication there is that while we will do what is necessary to get through, we won't have the time at each obstacle to build the perfect line. Have you been on the Rubicon before? That's one of the amazing things about this trail - the obstacles just keep on coming. But it's a lot of fun to wheel! Have you run an IFS vehicle on trails like this before? I'm not the one to tell you the differences between IFS and solid axles, but others who've done both assure me there are some important differences. Hopefully someone reading this will jump in and share their insights.

Steve

Steve,

I already have the 2.5" lift, and 33's, but I will definitely move up to 35" for this trail. I realize there is a high chance of carnage. Although I have never been on the Rubicon, I've wheeled this vehicle for 11+ years, and although I know that a solid axle would be easier, I don't want to go buy/build another vehicle just to do the Rubicon. I've seen videos, and I know it has been done, so I feel confident I can get through it.

Ron

I’m putting in for leave on Tuesday when I get in. I’m guessing I’d need Tuesday, June 19th through Monday, June 25th. The extra day for recovery. :flipoff2:

From 2016 Wagon Run:

So who was your bud with the BJ40 that pounded His 40 across the RUBICON?

That was sort of fun to watch.

Glad to see you post up on this thread. From your other thread 4:88's and 35's will help a lot and you mentioned getting lockers installed too which is good since we will be requiring them. Being from NC there is a more than likely chance you will win the Iron Butt award too! Some how the 1000 miles from Colorado did it for me last year
MVIMG_20180115_004635.jpg

Glad to see you post up on this thread. From your other thread 4:88's and 35's will help a lot and you mentioned getting lockers installed too which is good since we will be requiring them. Being from NC there is a more than likely chance you will win the Iron Butt award too! Some how the 1000 miles from Colorado did it for me last year
View attachment 1611674

Awards on your wall that belong to other men! Your ruthless John!

Steve,

I already have the 2.5" lift, and 33's, but I will definitely move up to 35" for this trail. I realize there is a high chance of carnage. Although I have never been on the Rubicon, I've wheeled this vehicle for 11+ years, and although I know that a solid axle would be easier, I don't want to go buy/build another vehicle just to do the Rubicon. I've seen videos, and I know it has been done, so I feel confident I can get through it.

Ron

Hey Ron,

We did register an ‘06 hundy last 2016 but it didn’t happen due to an accident after the build. We deleted the AHC and installed 2.5” heavies and Slee belly skid plate which was helpful in so many ways on the trail. It got banged up pretty bad.

Rubicon is a tough trail for an IFS on 33’s. I’d recommend going 35, and with that, you need to trim your pinch welds up front other wise they would rub badly.

Surprisingly, the hundy got through decently. It had a few scratches and dents but it just adds to its character.

The key to it is stacking. You need to have a buddy that is willing to stack rocks for ya because you will need it. Having driven a hundy and an 80 to the ‘Con, I can say the hundy was a real challenge to get through, but is very capable.
Since you have a different rig, bring your spare parts because most like Ly no one else has your parts, unlike a 40/60/80, there’s tons of them and tons of spare parts.
We brought cv’s/rack and pinion and ds, luckily we didn’t need them.

As Andy suggested before, we tried taking the hundy on our own, ran it on our own pace and run. Practiced perhaps, we didn’t want to spoil the fun because the hundy keeps getting hung up.
Now that we know it’s capacity, if our schedules gets aligned, we will once again tackle the trail with the wagon run on a 60, 80 and 100.

Cheers...

John

Last edited:

@SFROMAN , Rubithon Chairman Eric Agee (@Bad Coco ) will let us know on the main Rubithon page (30th Annual Rubithon 2018) when signups have opened. Should be this month. In the signup process you can indicate the run you want to join. Checking out your posts on the main thread, I see you've got an 80 but you're thinking about your 82 first gen. Not sure how your 80 is set up, but, food for thought, this will be my son @JohnnyOshow22 's fourth time through the trail in his '97 LX450 on 33's and a 2.5" lift. Let me know how I can help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom