Slee front bumper vs Dissent Offroad front bumper pros and cons? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Typicall lead time is 8-12 weeks, I'm closer to 12-16 week as of now due to the Black Friday sale, 35+ and 1/2 of those are sets. I'm hoping to get the lead times down if I ever get caught up but I went into this with 40 orders and have yet to get caught up. I guess that's a good problem to have.
Again, my products are essentially a custom bumper at a mas production price, they are all put together and welded by myself in house and built to order, the cons with this are going to be the lead times! The benefits are being able to customize your bumper how you want it and not settle.
I have been trying to get help since I started but the pride I take in every bumper that leaves my shop has made it nearly impossible to find someone that has the same pride in their work. For me it is not about making a bunch of money and compromising on quality. That being said it is my goal to have bumpers in stock and ready to ship, unfortunately that will not happen until I can find some employees that that share the same attention to detail. I keep hearing that I have unrealistic expectations but I'm not willing to except that as a reason to compromise.
I do try to be upfront on the lead time and try my best to meet those times but at the end of the day it is still pretty much a 1 man operation.
Hopefully this clarifies the long wait times, I totally get that some are not willing to wait and I'm completely fine with that.
I also want to thank all the customers on here that have ordered bumpers despite the lead times! I understand it is not an easy thing to do, pay thousands of dollars up front and waiting several weeks for it to arrive. I am truly humbled and grateful for the amount of support I have received and continue to receive from this community!
It amazes me the amount of customers that I consider friends, I can't even count how many texts, calls and emails I receive when we were having the fires to check if my family and I were safe. Also the amount of holiday wishes I received over the holidays! This stuff is really unheard of these days in most other forms and groups.

Can't speak to the Dissent bumper other than to say it looks awesome and has the advantage on flexibility repair-ability. The Slee Blueberry is bomb-proof with very stout recovery points, can fit a big ass winch (have a M12k, may fit a 15) secured at the feet and face, ties in to his belly pan options etc.

That being said, it weighs A LOT! An engine hoist is handy for the install and you'll have to crank the t-bars.

I am not sure that any more than this needs to be said

IMG_1908_zpsdflbzuqm.jpg

But really

Pro: great design, great support, all around great guy, local purchase (only 3hrs from me), new guy on the block

Con: lead time, lead time, lead time.... but good things come to those that wait!

At the end of the day you can’t go wrong with either. Slee is great and I have ordered product from him and would not hesitate to do so again. I think the origional reason that I went with Dissent was that he is from my home town and I always like to support local as much as possible, plus he was able to install since I did. It have time... all in all I was not at all disappointed.

Are those 16" rims? Are they off a Tacoma / Tundra?

@benc Response above is also a great example of “why”! He takes the time to engage with us and keeps everyone in the loop as to where his business is at. MUD is very lucky to have a number of vendors who are small shops that support this specialized “hobby” of ours. AND remember, Ben’s business started as a one off personal project on this site that turned into an offer to make a few extra bumpers if anyone wanted one.... pretty amazing that Ben has been able to build the Dissent brand to the point that we even talk about Dissent and Slee in the same sentence since Slee is also an amazing company albeit much larger now.

Those of us who have been lucky enough to visit Ben in person have probably all had this same experience, but he always gives a tour, shows what he is working on, and just takes time to BS with his customers.

As I have said before, I was probably initially a little turned off by the lead time, but in the grand scheme of things what is a few weeks... we have all gotten a little too used to the Amazon Prime mentality of order today have it before you can blink! While you wait for your new piece of hand crafted art to be delivered to your door you can work on other fun projects like a lift, drawers, rack, wheels.... that’s what I did and by the time the bumpers were installed they were like the cherry on top that just finished the rig off (is it ever really done)!

I am proud to say that my family is protected by Dissent bumpers every day and proud that I am helping to support Ben and family at the same time.

*** Alright this is starting to sound a bit to much like a man-crush testimonial so I need to sign off... ***

Last edited:
I have one of the 1st batch Dissent fronts and I have found zero cons to having it..looks awesome, I have abused mine quite a bit (Ben can attest to this ) and it has upheld flawless!

Between the two, I'd pick Dissent. One of the prettiest bumpers available for the 100. But since it isn't available in wiy kit form, my write-in candidate would be the 4x4labs bumper.

I am thinking of replacement of my ARB for the dissent... I have bumper envy :beer: those pictures are great..

I’d love to call dibs on your ARB, but I’m pretty sure shipping it from Ga to Wa would cost more than just buying one here!

Between the two, I'd pick Dissent. One of the prettiest bumpers available for the 100. But since it isn't available in wiy kit form, my write-in candidate would be the 4x4labs bumper.
I do still sell a few diy kits here and there, just have to screen my diy buyers ;)
The reason I stopped is I had to may people call after they had bought the diy saying they just bought a harbor freight welder, this was their first welding project and they had a few questions.

I do still sell a few diy kits here and there, just have to screen my diy buyers ;)
The reason I stopped is I had to may people call after they had bought the diy saying they just bought a harbor freight welder, this was their first welding project and they had a few questions.

Well this is interesting. I thought you were done with that? I guess a guy like me who has pretty much worn out a Miller that I bought new and worked for a millwright company that specializes in modifying ski lifts might pass muster?

That's awesome! Had no idea you still sold kits. Glad to hear!

I am not sure that any more than this needs to be said

IMG_1908_zpsdflbzuqm.jpg

But really

Pro: great design, great support, all around great guy, local purchase (only 3hrs from me), new guy on the block

Con: lead time, lead time, lead time.... but good things come to those that wait!

At the end of the day you can’t go wrong with either. Slee is great and I have ordered product from him and would not hesitate to do so again. I think the origional reason that I went with Dissent was that he is from my home town and I always like to support local as much as possible, plus he was able to install since I did. It have time... all in all I was not at all disappointed.

JTEHT05J902092706

Great looking truck!

The Dissent front bumper is really nice! Glad to read this thread and learn about it.

Did i just see the lead time of 12-16 weeks drop to 4-6 weeks? Time to round up a few bills.. Haha, j/k.

Had Slee Blueberry, rear bar and side steps shipped out to Australia, it was worth it!

20170520_133208.jpg

Hey @benc, I'm starting to shop around for a front bumper... what would the pricing for the kit look like? I've got a millermatic 211 and a few 240V circuits in my garage ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom