1HD-T idle problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all I am looking at a 80 fitted with the above engine. When I went to view it, the owner mentioned that it had just picked up an idle problem, probably the result of a cloged inlet in the tank, as the regular filter was newly replaced.

The car ran and seemed to run very well, except that it would not idle and you had to keep the revs up. when it did sometimes idle, it surged and then died soon after.
I looked for obvious things like idle-up vac pipes come off but all seemed ok.

Does fuel stavation due to a cloged tank pick-up sound likely??
Anything else I can try
What are the things to look out for when these babies do not idle.

Cheers
G

The new filter could also be letting in air, or the hoses attached to the filter head.
It could also be a governor problem.
I could also be the mesh under the fuel inlet on the pump is full of crud.
My main concern would be that its not a big dollar item.
If I was the seller, I would get it fixed to remove any ambiguities and make it more attractive to potential buyers.

My main concern would be that its not a big dollar item.
If I was the seller, I would get it fixed to remove any ambiguities and make it more attractive to potential buyers.

I agree.

It could be something simple, but a clogged filter, or an air leak in the fuel system would likely show up as a flat spot, or stumble under hard acceleration.

The 1HD-T can develop an unsteady idle due to fuel pump wear and tear.
Pump work is likely to be expensive

It could be why he is selling it:confused:

Are we talking about the IP's intenal fuel pump or a clandestine lift pump??

Agree on owner fixing it, it's actually a condition of sale, but he is not that sharp on the workings and if it's something simple , I'll sort it and jump the gun.
But ja, it's up to him really.

G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom