Summit smoothies wheels... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok, thanks for your response. That’s what I was thinking, I could indicate the holes for the clips. I think this would be a much easier/cheaper option than widening the factory wheels. If I can’t find these bare, I’ll probably blast and powder coat them anyways.

Do you think 2.5” backspacing is the best option for SOA with 35”x12.5”

Thanks
Depends on how you want it setup. Wider track width will make it more stable but may not tuck into the fenders during flex. You will also get more tire scrub with 2.5" vs 3.5"

Excuse the stupidity of this question, but what is the issue of adding clips to a wheel? I understand it would weaken it to a degree, but how much? Just curious

No issues with the clips. Thinking about trying to add them to a wider aftermarket wheel so I can run fatter tires.

It might be a cheaper alternative than having the stock wheels widened. This will give me larger tires with the stock look.

That’s all.

I ended up going the 70 Series spoke rim route. Similar to a 60 series rim, but heavier and 16x6" They seem to jump in price every year, Beno may be able to still get them for a decent price. I'm running 235/85R16 tires on them, only really available in load range E. They are stout, very heavy actually, hurt my acceleration, torque curve and mileage on a 1F 40 series.

Looking at those pics of the 43 series, my springs must be pretty saggy, I don't have that much clearance. In fact, a 235/85R16 is about a 32 inch tire, same as 265/75. CHAS404 how are you running them on stock suspension without rubbing. Mine tuck nicely in the rear end, but are really close to rubbing on full stuff at the top of the fender. They also do not stick out past the body, so mudspray is kept down which I like. The front left tire, however, rubbed badly on the draglink for the steering over even the slightest uneven ground. I ended up moving the steering bump stops out some so it wouldn't do that anymore, but it obviously affected my turning radius. How do the wider 265's not rub? How is the sidewall bulge on the narrow factory rims?

DSC00541.JPG

How do you pop the hub caps off on those deep dish stockers. I always found it somewhat difficult to get the factory hubcaps off on a stock width rim without scabbing them all up with the end of the lug wrench or a pry bar. Are you making a special tool to reach in there and pop it off, like "L" shaped on the end?

I am looking for some 15 x 10 spoke type wheels for my '70 FJ40. If I can't get 5 of those the smoothie type would work. Any ideas? Will the three mentioned earlier, Stockton Wheel, Wheel Vintiques, US Wheel, have something close? Which is the easiest to deal with?

Answered my own question. US Wheel has the 15 x 10 spoke wheels but the back spacing is 3 3/4" which will require a 1/4" spacer. How safe are spacers?

Last edited:
Those 1/4” steel spacers aren’t a big deal, it’s the bolt on aluminum ones that are scary. You can install longer wheel studs if you’re worried about them, never had a problem running them on my ‘76.

Summit used to sell those US Steel wheels with custom backspace if if you call them, they come in raw steel though instead of powdered.

Tucker

@tucker74 Thanks. As luck would have it the spacers I have are aluminum 1/4". I'll call US Wheel Monday.

Just started painting my smoothies from Summit. I’m using a 2part Imron polyurethane. This should hold up a little better than spray bombing them.

C5266F1B-BDED-4AF0-AEB8-C5721B303AEB.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom