Cummins R2.8 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@daniel.watters , I checked their website last night. $8,900ish for a fully built engine, plus all the electronic goodies it needs.

@torfab , I won't be doing the swap for a while, but I'm glad to hear the adaptor kit is sorted out! $1,900 is a good price I think.

Reactions: SMG
Wow... I really love my 1HDT but when I see that 2.8 with the same specs and a LOT of less weight, it makes me think a bit...
I will wait until I see the real reliability of that 2.8, for now I'll stick to my old reliable 1HDT, is not the same testing an engine on real life than on a factory.
I know what my 1HDT can suffer from all mud, water, heat, dust, sand and some other sh*t for years here in Costa Rica and still running like a champ, I will have to see that 2.8 suffer the same and keep running before buying it.

I wish Toyota Motors had a project like this to repower our old LCs with good Japanese motors and accesible prices (asking too much?)
Sadly for us, Toyota prefers the heavy load market:

Diesel Engines | Products | HINO GLOBAL

Last edited:
She already ok'd it hahaha.

I was just discussing the merits, or what I assume them to be.

Well you are ahead of me with the wife approving a cummins purchase. If I was getting a cummins swap I would have to say I converted the engine to use diesel. haha

Wow... I really love my 1HDT but when I see that 2.8 with the same specs and a LOT of less weight, it makes me think a bit...
I will wait until I see the real reliability of that 2.8, for now I'll stick to my old reliable 1HDT, is not the same testing an engine on real life than on a factory.
I know what my 1HDT can suffer from all mud, water, heat, dust, sand and some other sh*t for years here in Costa Rica and still running like a champ, I will have to see that 2.8 suffer the same and keep running before buying it.

I wish Toyota Motors had a project like this to repower our LCs with good Japanese motors.
Sadly for us, Toyota prefers the heavy load market:

Diesel Engines | Products | HINO GLOBAL

If I'm not mistaken, Jerimiah Proffit put a R2.8 into a 70 series truck, and is currently testing. I was watching SEMA videos on YouTube and saw it, but I'm not certain. Look through YouTube and I'm sure you'll find the video.

I've been driving my FJ62 with this engine since July and so far no issues. They're excellent to deal with, and have great support for the engine. I have no issue driving 70-80 on the highway and it gets up pretty good to pass.

How do you anticipate the motor would perform with a 4spd transmission?

Tor, what diameter tires are you running with the set up above - H55+4.11?

I've been driving my FJ62 with this engine since July and so far no issues. They're excellent to deal with, and have great support for the engine. I have no issue driving 70-80 on the highway and it gets up pretty good to pass.

You felt a big difference on the weight?

There are shockingly few videos of completed swaps on YouTube

That's not very surprising. The crate motor program just started, and the price isn't what most shade tree builders consider affordable.

There are a lot of videos with 4BT conversions. It's basically the same motor as the R2.8, except it can be found in junked delivery trucks. I even have a friend who dropped a 4BT into an 87 Toyota Pickup.

That's not very surprising. The crate motor program just started, and the price isn't what most shade tree builders consider affordable.

There are a lot of videos with 4BT conversions. It's basically the same motor as the R2.8, except it can be found in junked delivery trucks. I even have a friend who dropped a 4BT into an 87 Toyota Pickup.
The 4BT is similar to the R2.8 in that they were both made by Cummins.

The 4BT is similar to the R2.8 in that they were both made by Cummins.

And both diesel and both 4 cylinder. From there it's difficult.

Completely different capacity, physical size, fitment, valve train, injection system etc etc.

Does anyone know if their making a 24 volt version? My BJ42 is 24 volt and not sure how much of a pain it would be to convert?

If you are spending that kinda coin to swap to this 24v vs 12v shouldnt be much of a concern haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom