Still a newb, would like advice on suspension and wheels for my 40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in the middle of tearing down my 1981 BJ42 (north american) to do a frame off. This is my first time owning a 40-series and I'm still learning about everything. My truck's wheels and suspension are not stock, but I'm not entirely sure what I have (photos below). It appears to be lifted but I have no idea if this is a 1" or 4" lift. How do I figure that out? It has wider wheels to fit 33x12.50 tires and it appears to have axle extensions on the front axle to give enough clearance for steering. I don't think the lift was high enough for these tires because the P.O. took an angle grinder to the wheel wells to make them large enough for the 33's.

Ultimately, I want to put stock wheels and 33x10.50's on it. I have the money to spend to upgrade the suspension if needed. I'm not doing coil overs because I'm keeping the 3B and I don't need the extra stiffness. What's the ideal lift for 33x10.50's? I think I keep seeing 2.5" as the right lift.

Also the locking hubs aren't stock. Should I go back to stock locking hubs? What are my options for locking hubs that are automatic and don't require me to jump out and lock by hand?

Also, I'm going back to the factory 653 color code (olive), should I go with white or grey wheels? What A/T tires do you recommend? Do you have any pictures of your truck riding on 33x10.50's to show?

Thanks!

2 to 2 1/2 inch lift is plenty for the 33 inch skinny tire. There are repair panels available to repair your wheel well cut outs. Stock rims will fit fine with the size tires you want. Get rid of the wheel spacers while you are at it and the hubs are fine. You don't want any sort of automatic hubs as they almost always do not function as designed, when you most need them to. The stock setup is awesome.

Those wheels are a dead ringer for the ones that came as a dealer option when we bought our first fJ40 in 1978. The red and blue stripes are what caught my eye. The spoke holes also look like the correct wheel.

Last edited:
Those wheels are a dead ringer for the ones that came as a dealer option when we bought our first fJ40 in 1978. The red and blue stripes are what caught my eye. The spoke holes also look like the correct wheel.

Is there any documentation for that dealer option anywhere. The option was for wider wheels?

What does the sticker say on the springs :meh:

The shocks are Ironman ... highly doubt the PO went out and got those shock by them selves ... so it was most likely a whole kit

Ironman shows a 2” lift suspension

I’ll post a pic of the sticker in a little bit. If it is a 2” lift would that be enough for 33’s? The PO hacked the s*** out of the rear wheel wells to give clearance for the 33’s on it now. That’s the only reason I doubt it is enough.

Is there any documentation for that dealer option anywhere. The option was for wider wheels?

Here is our '78 in about 1984. Unfortunately, the wheels had already been repainted.

Lurch005.jpg

That ironman suspension is a nice set up. I wouldnt change it. Looks like there are wheel spacers on your rig? You have plenty of room for the 33s its just that they are sticking out too far. Go back to a stock wheel and a 33-10.5-15 tire and get rid of the spacers.

Clint

That ironman suspension is a nice set up. I wouldnt change it. Looks like there are wheel spacers on your rig? You have plenty of room for the 33s its just that they are sticking out too far. Go back to a stock wheel and a 33-10.5-15 tire and get rid of the spacers.

Clint
You’re right, there are spacers to give clearance for the wider wheels. I’m going down to stock wheels and get 33’s because I like the look. Thanks for the feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom