Mark's Off Road Warehouse Fire Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be selling those drum brake spindles as pairs to make trailer axles. Or have a local fab shop build you the axle beams that the spindles will bolt to.

Nice work! Organizing my crap so I know what I have is one of my personal goals too.

Nick

:idea:I’m sure I have at least 50 matching hub housings, so the trailer axle idea COULD work. But considering I paid the outfit that build the six lug axle for my camping trailer $125.00, ... :rolleyes:

I moved another 54 yesterday. That’s ALMOST all of them.

Yeah, you don't need any more. Based on my sales history that is about 54 years worth of drum brake spindles :D

:idea:I’m sure I have at least 50 matching hub housings, so the trailer axle idea COULD work. But considering I paid the outfit that build the six lug axle for my camping trailer $125.00, ... :rolleyes:

My thoughts were along the lines of also having locking hubs on the spindles. That way you can park the trailer, lock the hubs (to lock the wheels) and the trailer stays put with no chocks. Plus the matching bolt pattern and adding value to otherwise "valueless" parts. Probably as much for the "cool factor" as the practicality. And I would expect to pay a little more for something like that vs. a standard trailer axle. I kept at least one set of drum brake knuckles around to try out my ideas in real life; I just have not gotten to the part of the project list.

Oh yeah, I had also planned on doing the axle like a portal axle so the beam is above the centerline of the wheels - for more trail clearance.

Nick

My thoughts were along the lines of also having locking hubs on the spindles. That way you can park the trailer, lock the hubs (to lock the wheels) and the trailer stays put with no chocks. Plus the matching bolt pattern and adding value to otherwise "valueless" parts. Probably as much for the "cool factor" as the practicality. And I would expect to pay a little more for something like that vs. a standard trailer axle. I kept at least one set of drum brake knuckles around to try out my ideas in real life; I just have not gotten to the part of the project list.

Oh yeah, I had also planned on doing the axle like a portal axle so the beam is above the centerline of the wheels - for more trail clearance.

Nick

Mmmm, portals!

Well, I've gathered over 120 drum brake spindles, and I have a feeling I'm not done. I'm also pretty sure I've got an equal amount of drum brake birfs. At least those I break!

Still moving a truckload of parts each weekend. Last two weeks have been alternators and starters. Next weekend I hope to tackle the air cleaners and tire carriers.

In the meantime, I am over half way thru moving the transmission and transfer case parts to their new location, and sorting thru amazing amounts of stuff I've accumulated, but never pooled together. A shelf full of 21 front output housings. A floor-ful of main output shafts.
15BD57DC-FF1E-4511-8002-0BA3E735BE40.jpeg

I am tired.

I’ve worked every single day since New Years. Progress with a price. I have worked thru a bout in my left foot that had me hobbling for over a week. We vendors have been chatting in our private forum about the current crush of business. While I take a lot of pride in being an army of one, it does have it’s limitations. Yesterday I was up at 3AM, in the shop by 4. Finally put down the carb tools at 8pm and crashed in the new office.

I have a vacation coming up. I am really looking forward to it.

Last edited:
I feel your pain Mark (I too have a one-man business). From October 2016 through December 2017 was the slowest my business has ever been in 18 years, but it gave me time to get our house ready to sell, move, and to be around to supervise the building of our new house (so far). Now, this month and last, I have multiple clients back for rush jobs all at the same time. When it rains, it pours, but I'm not complaining.

Over the years I have thought about bringing on help and expanding the business, but I always come back to not wanting to be responsible for someone else's living, i.e. a payroll. I just don't want the stress, so I keep plodding along on my own.

Feels bad man.
I`m feeling for your bro.
Keep going Mark,you can return or do even better.You will be fine.Im sure about it.
-Topazy.

Feels bad man.
I`m feeling for your bro.
Keep going Mark,you can return or do even better.You will be fine.Im sure about it.
-Topazy.

Thank you. Do I know you?

Still at it. This morning’s adventure was to get at the extra cylinder heads. Mission accomplished:
8B42CFFF-CA34-4A61-974C-4A2FAA9A2320.jpeg

10 heads, 4bare, one 61031, the rest 600series.

Once I got the cylinder heads out of the way, found these!
89F9E6AB-B1B8-4488-A36D-7085D8CA2C6F.jpeg

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Locked the hubs
DBB3B106-857F-4DFF-98B1-B45FFA578CD4.jpeg

Weather has been holding, which is good and bad. The bad is that the good weather encouraged a large group of ‘burners’ (Burning Man types) to come out. They have had a 140bpm rave the last two nights.

Couldn’t hear them a half mile away. Just a sea of lights and silouettes from half a mile away.

983DBC12-5D51-4561-9228-5E4C0D713C97.jpeg

Weather has been holding, which is good and bad. The bad is that the good weather encouraged a large group of ‘burners’ (Burning Man types) to come out. They have had a 140bpm rave the last two nights.

Couldn’t hear them a half mile away. Just a sea of lights and silouettes from half a mile away.

don't they typically run around half naked?

don't they typically run around half naked?

There was a softball game yesterday: the shirts against the skins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom