HOPE this isn't a first! Fuel tank issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In the final stages of getting my 71 fj40 running. Took it to fill the tank and the trip back from the gas station revealed a massive leak from the sending unit. No biggie, I'll replace the gasket....well, like most things it wasn't that simple. Seems that sometime in the past the rubber gasket had been replaced with a much thinner paper gasket allowing the retaining screws for the sending unit to bottom out against the tank. This has forced the ring that the sending unit bolts to, to separate from the tank. The ring literally came off with the sending unit. I'm wondering if anyone has had this issue and if so, did you figure a way to reattach it. Looks to me like it was originally soldered in place. Not sure soldering or welding on a ~ 50 year old tank is the way to go.....any ideas?

53741194842__2DE17272-A08C-44C9-877F-F7BF678B03A5.JPG

53741195331__6E4BF60D-8735-46DE-BB40-7F85C448236E.JPG

They make epoxy that will work in a fuel environment. Maybe you can simply glue it back in place.

You can still buy that tank new from Toyota. That's where SOR, CCOT and others are buying them from and marking them up.

Unless I don't understand something on their website they only go back to 1980. This is for a 1971 rig. I have come across this same issue with every online Toyota parts outfit, none have online sites that list anything for older rigs. Maybe they have to be called. And I've struck out with other Toyota OEM vendors, not a good track record for me. Rant over.

I'd JB Weld it. But that's the way I deal with things like this. YMMV.

How does your tank look inside? You can take pictures of the tank innards with an iphone. Might be wise to do a thorough inspection before you decide what to do. Judging from the tank’s topside I’d want to know what the PO has done underneath.

Two ways to do it:

Drill and mount the ring to the tank with flat head screws, nylock nuts, and a gasket. While I was at it, I'd also drill through-holes into the tank for the sender mounting screws and put another gasket between the sender and the mounting ring.

Or you could clean the tank really really well, inert it with water up to the sender hole, and then weld the ring in place. It's not going to blow up if it's completely filled with water.

Last edited:
Unless I don't understand something on their website they only go back to 1980. This is for a 1971 rig. I have come across this same issue with every online Toyota parts outfit, none have online sites that list anything for older rigs. Maybe they have to be called. And I've struck out with other Toyota OEM vendors, not a good track record for me. Rant over.

I'd JB Weld it. But that's the way I deal with things like this. YMMV.

Yeah, that's one of the downsides of using the online dealership sites. Most don't cover 'antique vehicles'. ;-D You need to already know your part number. For the savings involved, I don't have a problem with doing my own research up front. The PN for a 1971 radiator is 77001-60013. I enter the part number on the Home page, and the price from Camelback is $340.40 and that includes FedEx ground shipping. Compared to some of the aftermarket choices, that's a pretty good deal.

@middlecalf

Yeah, that's one of the downsides of using the online dealership sites. Most don't cover 'antique vehicles'. ;-D You need to already know your part number. For the savings involved, I don't have a problem with doing my own research up front. The PN for a 1971 radiator is 77001-60013. I enter the part number on the Home page, and the price from Camelback is $340.40 and that includes FedEx ground shipping. Compared to some of the aftermarket choices, that's a pretty good deal.

Smoke and noise meant to write, "The PN for a 1971 radiator FUEL TANK is 77001-60013. Toyota indicates that part number is superceded by 77100-60012. This is for a 6908 - 7109 FJ40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom