anyone hack the OEM inverter ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So the single rear 110v 2 prong outlet has been great for when my 10yo daughter want's to charge her cell phone. However, other than that, it leaves a lot to be desired. I am assuming this is a 400w inverter ? Has anyone here hacked into it for more functionality ? I'm thinking maybe some additional USB charging ports, or maybe installing a 3 prong outlet so you can plug a computer into it.

If I recall, the label on mine says it's 100w. You can use a 2 prong adapter to plug other stuff in it (which I've done for my fridge), but it's not going to handle any significant load.

If I recall, the label on mine says it's 100w. You can use a 2 prong adapter to plug other stuff in it (which I've done for my fridge), but it's not going to handle any significant load.

That's about 300w lower than what I thought they put in them. I thought the Matrix and Tacoma's and maybe a few others came with 400w inverters ?

I had thought about getting rid of mine since it's close to useless, but I managed to let the magic smoke out of my good inverter so it will live on for a while longer. My plan was to use the existing switch wiring to turn on a bigger/better inverter hidden behind the trim panels with a conventional socket mounted in the old socket location.

On my GX470 manual, it says the inverter is way in the back. Can you confirm?

There is no room back there to put in a larger inverter, and even if you could, you have to run large guage wiring that can handle the amperage. If it were me, I would install a more powerful inverter nearer the battery, to minimize large guage DC wiring, and then run smaller guage AC wiring back.

That turd IS totally useless. Won’t even run a coffee pot.
It charges my goal zero just fine.

Coffee pots have very high power requirements, just like any electronic heater.

That turd IS totally useless. Won’t even run a coffee pot.

It is weak. Get a french press and heat water with a jet boil. So much more useful and better coffee too!

My FJ Cruiser has a 400w - 100w AC inverter outlet. 400 running stationary at idle, or 100w driving. Switchable from dash mounted switch. 3 prong.

I'd say to charge anything DC (tablets, phones, backup battery bricks, etc.) I would not go he inverter route. There is plenty of dedicated DC to DC converters out there already which have a lot fewer losses. We tried to use it and it's recessed so plugging in anything that doesn't come with a cord makes it useless and running an extension cord to it is even more silly, plus the low watt rating adds to it's demise.

So if you need power to charge your gadgets get a 12V to UBS converter since almost anything these days can be charged with an USB cord.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom