Should I Get a 200?! (1 Viewer)

Get a 200 or No?!

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It is hard to touch a 200, not much out there to compare with. You will not regret.

Should you get a 200?

I asked a similar question a few years ago, over in the chat & BS thread.

Here’s how that conversation went:

FBCE5F23-57AE-4FE4-8FEF-650945D3ABD0.jpeg

Nobody asked about this "growing family" more specifically....

Are there more than 4-5 of you? are some of you getting really fat and need your own seat row? what exactly is the growth aspect to address here...? ;)

I ask because the 3rd row in LC whether it's a 100 or 200...kinda sucks if you get down to comparing 3rd rows out there. Even my lr3 has a WAY better 3rd row in terms of seat space, headroom especially, and ease of entry plus it 'feels' nice back there with the 3rd row sunroof above giving it a lightness as well as more head space.

However, you know what's cool about the LC100 3rd row...the opening side windows for a little breeze. I loved that in mine though I didn't hang out back there too often.

I like the shear volume inside the Sequoia though the 3rd row isn't that much better is it, unless the newest ones with Independent rear suspension got some new interior height due to the structural change. ?? Worth checking out if your solution has to be more of a swap for the 4runner.

I can totally understand the anti-minivan preference. I don't mind them and enjoy when a friend has one but I'd never buy one - hell I'd WAY sooner buy something like a Mercedes Sprinter passenger layout that I could also use for hauling lumber by popping the seats out and for all you overlanding 4x4ing types, what's better than telling yourself you can re-purpose it later on for family camping, build out, work truck uses?

So, there ya go. My choice would be a van like that, NOT a mini-van! I have a BMW 5 series wagon 6spd too so I do appreciate the multi-person road tripping in comfort but the 535 wagon is a hell of a lot more fun and more comfortable than any mini-van. I don't haul 6-9 people though either.

Seriously, check out the passenger Sprinter vans. You can get them in 4x4 w low range too. It's not pure/'true' 4x4 but it's prety darn good for a big ass van. Another layout that could work for you is the "crew" 9 seater I think with partial windows.

Or then there's their new Metris van which fits in garages but has two different builds for passenger or utility with a sweet lift hatch or barn doors. These can also be turned into really cool as hell camping vehicles.

I was about to start a thread comparing the new 4x4 winneabago sprinter adventure van to overlanding a LC. My buddies prefer driving the LC but I would love more interior room to relax. I love my LC but sleeping in trunk is not fun or relaxing. We are all drivers and the LC is driver friendly.

At the moment I am waiting for the new Amazon Uber Toyota self driving trolleys to become available after 2 years.

Well, if a person wants to also take rugged routes or trails along the way, these great vans just aren’t going to do it.

Even the awesome domestic full size truck chassis 4x4 solid axle vans are often too big/Long.

Nobody asked about this "growing family" more specifically....

Are there more than 4-5 of you? are some of you getting really fat and need your own seat row? what exactly is the growth aspect to address here...? ;)

I ask because the 3rd row in LC whether it's a 100 or 200...kinda sucks if you get down to comparing 3rd rows out there. Even my lr3 has a WAY better 3rd row in terms of seat space, headroom especially, and ease of entry plus it 'feels' nice back there with the 3rd row sunroof above giving it a lightness as well as more head space.

However, you know what's cool about the LC100 3rd row...the opening side windows for a little breeze. I loved that in mine though I didn't hang out back there too often.

I like the shear volume inside the Sequoia though the 3rd row isn't that much better is it, unless the newest ones with Independent rear suspension got some new interior height due to the structural change. ?? Worth checking out if your solution has to be more of a swap for the 4runner.

I can totally understand the anti-minivan preference. I don't mind them and enjoy when a friend has one but I'd never buy one - hell I'd WAY sooner buy something like a Mercedes Sprinter passenger layout that I could also use for hauling lumber by popping the seats out and for all you overlanding 4x4ing types, what's better than telling yourself you can re-purpose it later on for family camping, build out, work truck uses?

So, there ya go. My choice would be a van like that, NOT a mini-van! I have a BMW 5 series wagon 6spd too so I do appreciate the multi-person road tripping in comfort but the 535 wagon is a hell of a lot more fun and more comfortable than any mini-van. I don't haul 6-9 people though either.

Seriously, check out the passenger Sprinter vans. You can get them in 4x4 w low range too. It's not pure/'true' 4x4 but it's prety darn good for a big ass van. Another layout that could work for you is the "crew" 9 seater I think with partial windows.

Or then there's their new Metris van which fits in garages but has two different builds for passenger or utility with a sweet lift hatch or barn doors. These can also be turned into really cool as hell camping vehicles.

You had me until you claimed that a 535 wagon is more comfortable than a minivan. lol. If your self image is so fragile that now you're going to get a commercial, ill handling, spartan Sprinter or Metris, over a purpose designed minivan, then there's no use discussing it. BTW any minivan destroys even full sized SUVs in cargo and total volume.

My wife's Honda CRV was subject to the airbag recall so we got a free rental while Honda waited for the airbags to come in. Enterprise gave her a Toyota Sienna. She and I both hated the idea of a minivan before 3 months of driving it. The sliding doors and humongous amount of leg room between the first and second row made getting a 2 and 4 year old in and out of car seats super easy. It had plenty of power, a surprising amount really, and handled like a sedan. The front was roomier by far than the LC. Did I mention the sliding doors, car seats and cavernous storage space that'll fit a full size stroller, all your suitcases, a couple of coolers and still seem empty? I'd guess a MV has got 4 times the cargo space compared to an LC, maybe more.

We don't need or use the third row in either car and probably won't unless we have more kids or are hauling other peoples kids around, which won't likely happen until they are out of car seats. You can fit 3 car seats in the second row of an LC.

Since you've got to fold forward the a second row seat to get to the third row in either the minivan or LC, that is tricky with a car seat. Other than that, the third row is spacious in the LC for kids under 5' tall. So, if your little ones are beyond car seats the LC could work just fine.

Anyhow...we've now got both. She drives the minivan and I drive the LC. Road trips and weekends are easier in the MV. It turns out that minivans for families are like puppies or your own babies. You can say you dislike them until you've got one, and then you can't understand why you didn't get it sooner.

If you just can't stomach the MV, a Highlander is basically a Land Cruiser on a Camary frame. You won't do any hard core 4 wheeling in it, but you can get to lots of places a minivan wouldn't, you will get double the gas mileage and pay at least 25k less brand new than an LC.

If you can afford it, I'd suggest renting a minivan for a couple of weeks and then renting an LC for a couple of weeks. You cant tell much in an hour test drive. The Toyota Dealership has a rental program and some of the national rental chains have MVs, Highlaanders and LCs available. With priceline or Costco you can get a decent price for a weekly rental. Maybe the dealership would credit you back the rental cost towards a purchase if you end up buying.

I love my LC and so do my kids, but for around town the Sienna is purpose built for families by the same folks who built the LC for offroading.

My wife's Honda CRV was subject to the airbag recall so we got a free rental while Honda waited for the airbags to come in. Enterprise gave her a Toyota Sienna. She and I both hated the idea of a minivan before 3 months of driving it. The sliding doors and humongous amount of leg room between the first and second row made getting a 2 and 4 year old in and out of car seats super easy. It had plenty of power, a surprising amount really, and handled like a sedan. The front was roomier by far than the LC. Did I mention the sliding doors, car seats and cavernous storage space that'll fit a full size stroller, all your suitcases, a couple of coolers and still seem empty? I'd guess a MV has got 4 times the cargo space compared to an LC, maybe more.

We don't need or use the third row in either car and probably won't unless we have more kids or are hauling other peoples kids around, which won't likely happen until they are out of car seats. You can fit 3 car seats in the second row of an LC.

Since you've got to fold forward the a second row seat to get to the third row in either the minivan or LC, that is tricky with a car seat. Other than that, the third row is spacious in the LC for kids under 5' tall. So, if your little ones are beyond car seats the LC could work just fine.

Anyhow...we've now got both. She drives the minivan and I drive the LC. Road trips and weekends are easier in the MV. It turns out that minivans for families are like puppies or your own babies. You can say you dislike them until you've got one, and then you can't understand why you didn't get it sooner.

If you just can't stomach the MV, a Highlander is basically a Land Cruiser on a Camary frame. You won't do any hard core 4 wheeling in it, but you can get to lots of places a minivan wouldn't, you will get double the gas mileage and pay at least 25k less brand new than an LC.

If you can afford it, I'd suggest renting a minivan for a couple of weeks and then renting an LC for a couple of weeks. You cant tell much in an hour test drive. The Toyota Dealership has a rental program and some of the national rental chains have MVs, Highlaanders and LCs available. With priceline or Costco you can get a decent price for a weekly rental. Maybe the dealership would credit you back the rental cost towards a purchase if you end up buying.

I love my LC and so do my kids, but for around town the Sienna is purpose built for families by the same folks who built the LC for offroading.

Think this has turned into a discussion about which appliance works best for a specific application. People that buy LC/LX's are passionate about their vehicle, it's quality, it's low sales numbers, reliability, etc. a mini van is for people that need an appliance to "easily" transport kids and their crap. If your a car enthusiast your not driving a mini van period! You would make the transport of the kids fit around your automotive passion. It's interesting based on the generation, the priority placed on "kids" and all their activities.

Think this has turned into a discussion about which appliance works best for a specific application. People that buy LC/LX's are passionate about their vehicle, it's quality, it's low sales numbers, reliability, etc. a mini van is for people that need an appliance to "easily" transport kids and their crap. If your a car enthusiast your not driving a mini van period! You would make the transport of the kids fit around your automotive passion. It's interesting based on the generation, the priority placed on "kids" and all their activities.

Hmmm... I'm an LC enthusiast having driven them since my early 20s. Im also a car enthusiast, having owned a number of domestic and foreign sports cars. I'm also a Father and a few other things. I think one can be a car enthusiast or cruiser head with a minivan in the stable if it fits your needs.

I enjoy fine foods and wines but that doesn't mean I won't give my kids mac n' cheese if that's what'll get em to eat.

This is a LC forum, I get that if someone asks whether a LC is the best thing for a family with kids, some will take offense if the rare disadvantages of a LC/LX for that use are mentioned. Pardon the offense.

This is a LC forum, I get that if someone asks whether a LC is the best thing for a family with kids, some will take offense if the rare disadvantages of a LC/LX for that use are mentioned. Pardon the offense.

How is that offending me you stated the facts in your lifestyle and I stated my believes? If you have more than one vehicle and you have several kids and the wife doesn’t mind driving a minivan I don’t see a problem but if your wife is a real LC/LX enthusiast then the kids can fit in the SUV. If the kids comfort and your convenience it’s more important than owning a Land Cruiser Then drivea minivan. But I’d be telling my wife when she got the minivan don’t expect me to be driving that thing. ;) JMHO

Respectfully, I have grown in my older age to simply not give a squat about what others think or how they may perceive me, or things I like. I realize now, and wish I would have earlier in life, that anyone who is my true friend will not judge me nor care about the shape, size, or aesthetic value that a piece of metal with 4 tires provides. Therefore, if a minivan checks the OP's boxes more than a LC, then why not? It will probably get better gas mileage, has more cargo space, and is very utilitarian. Like my father once said, "when was the last time someone came up to your window at a stop light and wrote you a check for your next payment because you look so good in it?". There are far better choices than a LC for a family hauler as some have mentioned, and if I had several kids and cargo to haul, then a highlander, sequoia, minivan, or other choices would be at the top of my list. Why do I like LC's? Well, I am single, no kids, and like to venture off the beaten path in a reliable SUV that is proven to get me there and back. Whatever choice you make OP, good luck and hope you find what is best for you and your family. For what it's worth, if LC is still an option, I highly recommend it :)

Respectfully, I have grown in my older age to simply not give a squat about what others think or how they may perceive me, or things I like. I realize now, and wish I would have earlier in life, that anyone who is my true friend will not judge me nor care about the shape, size, or aesthetic value that a piece of metal with 4 tires provides. Therefore, if a minivan checks the OP's boxes more than a LC, then why not? It will probably get better gas mileage, has more cargo space, and is very utilitarian. Like my father once said, "when was the last time someone came up to your window at a stop light and wrote you a check for your next payment because you look so good in it?". There are far better choices than a LC for a family hauler as some have mentioned, and if I had several kids and cargo to haul, then a highlander, sequoia, minivan, or other choices would be at the top of my list. Why do I like LC's? Well, I am single, no kids, and like to venture off the beaten path in a reliable SUV that is proven to get me there and back. Whatever choice you make OP, good luck and hope you find what is best for you and your family. For what it's worth, if LC is still an option, I highly recommend it :)

You’re correct well stated. I personally just think so much of these vehicles and how they’re probably one of the highest quality most reliable vehicles you can buy which are two important things to me that it’s hard for me to even understand why somebody would come to a Land Cruiser website and ask if they should buy one when they know they have children and you can have children and have a Land Cruiser so I don’t even know why were talking about minivans do people no longer go to dealerships get in vehicles and drive them around bring the kids look for what’s important to make a buying decision but Land Cruiser’s and LX’s are very special vehicles that you really need to have more of an understanding of their qualities.

One of the first vehicles I went to school in was a J60 Land Cruiser, and since then we have always had at least one land cruiser with us. It is a great joy and a privilege to have one. They just never let you down. We still have the 100 LC and LX and even though we replaced them with the LX570 we just cannot convince ourselves sell them. What I’m saying is get the LC and enjoy it!

I wish people would read the question the OP ACTUALLY asked instead of making suggestions he didn’t ask us for.

Should we also tell him what to eat, where to work, how many times to have sex with his wife?

Here is the question he asked again ......
So the question is, get a newer 4Runner with third row or bite the bullet and get a '13 or newer 200 Series?

One of the first vehicles I went to school in was a J60 Land Cruiser, and since then we have always had at least one land cruiser with us. It is a great joy and a privilege to have one. They just never let you down. We still have the 100 LC and LX and even though we replaced them with the LX570 we just cannot convince ourselves sell them. What I’m saying is get the LC and enjoy it!

I don't like driving the mini van and I don't do it very often, but it is a great practical kid hauler and grocery getter. Every single day I drive my LC it puts a smile on my face and I conciously think "I'm so happy this is my car." It is luxurious, it handles great, it is rugged and powerful all at the same time.

leftfront2.jpg

2018-Toyota-LandCruiser-1.jpg

Toyota-Land_Cruiser-2016-800-2f.jpg

Should we also tell him what to eat, where to work, how many times to have sex with his wife?

I’m getting to those! Be patient!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom