LX450/80 prep for Rubicon (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SFROMAN

SILVER Star
Threads
For you Rubicon Trail vets or experts. What do you have to do to get an LX450 through the Rubicon?

I am currently planning to do Rubithon 2018 and thinking of driving my LX450 out to CA from NC to attend the event then drive it back.

I have a first gen pick up that would have zero issues getting though the Rubicon but I rather take my Lx450 to the event.

So what modifications do you guys recommend I do to prep the lx450 for this trip?

Currently my LX450 has armor all around

285/75/16 all terrains. On stock rims.

I can carry 10 extra gallons of fuel or more if need be.

You don’t need extra fuel if you gas up at the Fresh Pond Chevron station on hwy 50 near ice house road. If you have a rear locker added to the rig you have right now, you’ll have a fun trip. No locker just means you have to pay a lot more attention and probably get out a bit more to move a rock or two.

The TLCA goes in ahead of time and preps the trail plus there is plenty of help.

35” tires would be a help but not required. The TLCA has a checklist of equipment requirements and recommendations.

I live 100 miles from Rubicon so I’m on the trail a lot. Honestly, it’s not that hard anymore, not like it used to be. Maybe I’ll see you up there.

The important thing is your pre trip prep like torquing knuckle studs, hub studs, wheel lugs, pretty much every fastener below the belt line.

Running 33's also means you want to have a very stout transfer skid plate and maybe even one for the tranny too and of course sliders with cat protection. Something else to give some serous consideration to is upgrading your rear lower control arms. Mine were bent before the end of their first Rubicon trip.

Have a good spotter, go slow and be patient. Don’t sweat it if you get a ding or two. Take the alt routes when possible and listen to the wisdom of those that have done it a bunch. There’s many here that qualify to that standard.

You don’t need extra fuel if you gas up at the Fresh Pond Chevron station on hwy 50 near ice house road. If you have a rear locker added to the rig you have right now, you’ll have a fun trip. No locker just means you have to pay a lot more attention and probably get out a bit more to move a rock or two.

The TLCA goes in ahead of time and preps the trail plus there is plenty of help.

35” tires would be a help but not required. The TLCA has a checklist of equipment requirements and recommendations.

I live 100 miles from Rubicon so I’m on the trail a lot. Honestly, it’s not that hard anymore, not like it used to be. Maybe I’ll see you up there.

The important thing is your pre trip prep like torquing knuckle studs, hub studs, wheel lugs, pretty much every fastener below the belt line.

I now live 70miles from rubicon and I have yet to put my 80 on dirt road since I moved here.:bang:

One day I tell you, one day. I do need new u joints, front calipers, birfs and new shocks on the list of thins to do before hitting dirt again. I might just hit you up @boldilock to check out the famous rubicon.

I now live 70miles from rubicon and I have yet to put my 80 on dirt road since I moved here.:bang:

One day I tell you, one day. I do need new u joints, front calipers, birfs and new shocks on the list of thins to do before hitting dirt again. I might just hit you up @boldilock to check out the famous rubicon.
Your rig needs to be solid but nothing huge or spectacular. Back in 2011 eldorado county, and Tahoe county to a lesser degree, began “reforming” the trail (legally a county road) in order to fight errosion (tone down the size of the rigs and insane parties which caused lots of pollution) with the overall goal of turning it back into a fun family jeep trail. It has gotten easier and easier to traverse but still pretty challenging in places especially the section from Buck Island Reservior to Rubicon springs and then up Cadillac Hill toward Lake Tahoe. Having the ability to lock both axle diffs will make your day much more relaxing and you won’t have to endure so much ribbing from me. :D

The Rubithon event is a good starting point to get your feet wet. There is a chance I will be assisting in leading the Wagon Run this year.

Very good info.
The plan is to sign up for the wagon run based on recommendation from others. Plus it only makes sense to me to start a day early and be able to take it a little slower on the trail.

I am already looking into switching to 35 tires for this trip.

Thanks

Last edited:
I agree with bumping up to 35's. Any underbody clearance you can get will help. 80s will drag sliders, bumpers, skids a lot on the Rubicon. At least that's been my experience but I haven't been on the trail since it get easier. Definitely not uncommon to pick up a new dent or two, but a good spotter can help with that. I've been on the Rubicon with 80s 4-5 times and the only carnage we've had (other than cosmetic) was a bent drag link. Trail repair was a hilift jack handle over the drag link.

would the Slee skid plate be adequate enough?

would the Slee skid plate be adequate enough?
Yes but do you really want to have your skid plate also act as the trans mount? I don’t understand that design but to each his own. Popular skid plates are Slee, IPOR, Cruis’noffoad.

Last edited:
Yes but do you really want to have your skid plate also act as the trans mount? I don’t understand that design but to each his own. Popular skid plates are Slee, IPOR, Cruis’noffoad.
If only that damn @CreeperSleeper design would come back to life...

3 times through with the wagon run with my 80. It has 285's 2.5" of lift and armor all around, locked front and rear with a winch so we have similar rigs. I have yet to winch myself up or over anything but I have had to pull other rigs off stuff, rocks do get stacked even 3x locked. It's a slog with a low truck but it's doable. This past year 2017 my family took over the wagon run (Dad as lead and myself and brother as assistants. We are coming back to run the wagon run for 2018) and we were able to get an almost stock 2015 4runner all the way through. It had 32.5s a rear locker, hidden winch in stock front bumper, sliders and a home brew rear bumper with factory skids. He made it through fairly u scathed but it was a LOT of work. Below you can see my rig and the 4runner then my rig
FB_IMG_1515733861384.jpg
FB_IMG_1515733869836.jpg

JohnnyOshow22 has the first 80 I have seen with two grills.

JohnnyOshow22 has the first 80 I have seen with two grills.
The steaks and tri tip won't cook themselves on the grill the 80 came with unfortunately

And at @baldilocks it was good meeting you at Rubithon this past year

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom