I want an 80 now (1 Viewer)

Which sounds better

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need help! Looking to buy a FJ80. Found two at the same price.
  • Red 94 with F&R lockers, 183k, sliders, lift, B+ interior.
  • Blue 94 with center locker, 141k, lift, ARB front bumper, A+ interior
I want to make it into an overland rig that will be more comfortable for family, and able to travel longer distances without as much concern as the 60 I currently own.
Both are awesome. Blue looks better, but Red has the “knob”!

Any opinions will help.

Red with lockers so you don't have to do it later. It's piece of mind. But, it also depends on maintenance records for each if available.

I didn't think "blue" nightshadow was avail in 94?

Lockers are probably more expensive to install than seat covers, depends on how important each of these features is to you. I'd be all over the locked one myself.

It would be the Blue one for me. Less mileage (marginal), ARB front bumper (not cheap) and the better interior (worth a LOT).

You can add lockers later if your plans for the vehicle dictate a need. 'Harrop Lockers' are better than the factory units in a number of ways anyway. Until then....if you just throw an auto locker (Aussie/Other) in the rear until you decide if you even need to be 3X locked, you would have a very capable vehicle.

Why choose? Buy both!

Uncommon color, lower mileage, nicer interior and already lifted.. go with the blue Cruiser. In all honesty I’ve never been in a situation where I needed the factory lockers. Don’t miss out on a nicer one because of it

Uncommon color, lower mileage, nicer interior and already lifted.. go with the blue Cruiser. In all honesty I’ve never been in a situation where I needed the factory lockers. Don’t miss out on a nicer one because of it
Never been in a situation but once you are there is absolutely NOTHING like having lockers to save you. Then you will truly know the value of them..but then again it all depends on how each person uses their rig. ;)

Never been in a situation but once you are there is absolutely NOTHING like having lockers to save you. Then you will truly know the value of them..but then again it all depends on how each person uses their rig. ;)

^^^^^^ You'll never catch me arguing that (the value of lockers in a bad situation).

But my advice has always been (and always will be): Get the NICEST Land Cruiser you can find (condition) and then build off of that.

I know the factory lockers are 'coveted' and I am proponent of lockers, but I'd never pass up a nicer open diff LC for a locked one....unless I planned to make a dedicated rock crawler out of it (where it is going to get the hell beat out of it anyway).

I also happen to like the rather rare blue color, though that has nothing to do with performance.

Keep shopping. Both colors suck. The oem lockers will give you headaches later. Call Slee Off-road and ask them which 80 to buy.

4 years ago they told me to buy the newest, lowest miles, well maintained 80 I could find/afford because they are aged and only getting older.

It’s no joke how many threads you can search out where members are having problems with the old oem lockers.

Well i hope you have a winch then!
Cause once you find yourself in a "situation" and realize a winch trumps lockers the walk for help seems even longer lol

Triple locked. Stuck AF. lockers less commonly save you as much as get you deeper into a "i need saving" situation.

IMG_4846.JPG

Last edited:
Lockers and winches serve different purposes. I have ARB’s but many seem to be going with the Harrop Elockers lately. Both are superior in every way to the oem lockers.

A winch is on my rig for the sole purpose of erasing the poorest of my judgment calls.

Last edited:
I am in the OEM lockers not such a great deal camp as well. They are simply old and expensive to repair. Given the choice, I'd rather add a rear Harrop and have a far better interior and fewer miles.

Makes me feel good that the Fzj I got had no lockers! The white paint on these landcruisers is pretty good. I replaced the Drivers side fender(US, Left side) with one from a salvage yard in Texas. It looks better than the passengers side fender that was originally on the truck(when my brother got it) because apparently it HAS been resprayed. So the paint is flaking. If I would actually take the time to clean the paint and detail it I could probably bring back some shine to that white.

Overlanding is nu-popular speak for car camping. That means lots of hours on the highway INSIDE the vehicle.

Go for the better interior. Ignore all the people who didn't read your initial post and are overly concerned about the locker situation.

So the OP wanted the truck now. Wonder if he got one of them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom