1999 Toyota Land Cruiser with E-Locker. Good platform for an adventure vehicle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm fairly new to this adventure/overland scene. Basically, I gave myself a budget of 12k for a good off-road/highway cruiser vehicle. I am planning a road trip from Los Angeles to Black Bear Road at the end of this year. I'm going to take a look at this car. Two owners, current owner claims to have all maintenance records, clean title. I feel it is a bit overpriced for the year/miles but I could be wrong. Is there anything specific I need to watch out for in a 1999? I read that they have weaker front diff than 00+. Will this be a problem later on? I don't plan on rock crawling, just mudding/hill climbs. Thanks in advance.

Toyota Land Cruiser Landcruiser with rear E-locker

Last edited:
Seems maybe a bit overpriced. There was a nice one for sale in Anchorage recently with half those miles for a bit over 10K. Yes, it did sell quickly.

I've never been to Black Bear, but from what I gather the challenging aspects are the narrow routes, sharp drop offs and tight switchbacks. A large vehicle like the 100 series doesn't seem ideal for this, but I'm sure some guys have done it.

Leave it stock, see how that works and proceed accordingly. Big mistake to "upgrade" one of these just cuz you can, IMO. Some guys add a locking differential to the front if OEM breaks.

Picked up my '99 with 100k less miles for $10k, so take that for what it's worth. Granted I had to go to Florida to get it, but at that mileage you'll likely be replacing every bushing and joint in the thing, regardless if the maintenance is up to date.

It’s a hell of a rig! I bought my 99 New with locker, been modified for 10 plus years with all the awesome advice and tips I got here on this forum. Remains my daily driver.... It’s been super nice to me just like I’ve been super nice to her with maintenance and TLC.... can’t say enough about this vehicle!

18 year old truck will require "wear items" type maintenance- and parts by themselves are expensive, not to mention labor if you have a shop look after it. So scrutinize the truck very closely, study the maintenance history and understand that it will require $$ to ensure its reliable for an "adventure" vehicle. If its for street use, a lower standard is probably acceptable but if you're venturing offroad you want to ensure you have most things sorted. Secondly, plan/learn to do the majority of your own work or be prepared for much a higher maintenance budget.

^^^^^Zackly. I was just about to leave it here as well.

Seems maybe a bit overpriced. There was a nice one for sale in Anchorage recently with half those miles for a bit over 10K. Yes, it did sell quickly.

I've never been to Black Bear, but from what I gather the challenging aspects are the narrow routes, sharp drop offs and tight switchbacks. A large vehicle like the 100 series doesn't seem ideal for this, but I'm sure some guys have done it.

Leave it stock, see how that works and proceed accordingly. Big mistake to "upgrade" one of these just cuz you can, IMO. Some guys add a locking differential to the front if OEM breaks.

A stock 100 can do Black Bear with minimal effort (at least the one above Telluride, CO). Heck, hundreds of "hundreds" do it annually. Very few have lockers. LXs do it and they have LSD on the rear. Most have 33" tires, but plenty are stock. You have to 3-point turn the switchbacks, but that's about it.

It certainly looks pretty nice. I suppose the 'market' in your area dictates whether or not the 'asking' price is fair or if it is a bit high. In my area (Texas)....the 'asking' price for that vehicle would not be out of line. Chances are...it would actually sell for 1200-$1500 less. But I can tell you....it would not last very long around here at either price.

I find that there are more LX470's on the market....at the same or lesser prices than Land Cruisers. But I have the Houston/Dallas/Austin/San Antonio markets to select from.

Edit: Here is a clean '99 LX470 for the same kind of money you are talking about but with only 120K miles on it.

1999 Lexus LX 470 | eBay

Last edited:
I bought my 99 this year for half that with 150k in california. I would definitely argue that seller down but its the best year in my opinion.

I went to check it out. overall no major damage that I can see. The paint was fading around front and rear bumpers. Driver seat got a 3-inch rip on it. And there seem to be oil stains on all the bushing area/rear diff and on top of the engine (towards front passenger). The lowest he'll go is 10K and would not budge. He keeps telling me the rear locking diff makes this car extremely valuable.

I bought my 99 this year for half that with 150k in california. I would definitely argue that seller down but its the best year in my opinion.
And why would you say that?

I love my ‘99. It is perfect for the use you’re describing. I bought mine 3 years ago for $10,000 with brand new OME suspension, brand new 33” MTs and 170,000 on the clock. I really like having the dif locker, but I wouldn’t say it makes it “extremely valuable”. It might add $500- $1000 to the value, but only to the right buyer.

And why would you say that?

I would assume that it's because '99 was the last year of the factory e-locker, before the notorious '00 which had transmission issues (blown out of proportion), before '01 when audio/hvac controls were integrated into a single touchscreen that prohibits upgrades, and also has a transmission dipstick (easier to read transmission fluid levels and more serviceable) which was omitted beyond '01 I believe. I have a '98 LX and love it. But, if I were to do it all over again, I'd consider an '03 or newer as they gain additional airbags (greater safety), better gearing (stronger low range for 33" and up tires) and ATRAC (which works very well).

The rear differential makes it nominally more desirable as long as it works.

I would assume that it's because '99 was the last year of the factory e-locker, before the notorious '00 which had transmission issues (blown out of proportion), before '01 when audio/hvac controls were integrated into a single touchscreen that prohibits upgrades, and also has a transmission dipstick (easier to read transmission fluid levels and more serviceable) which was omitted beyond '01 I believe. I have a '98 LX and love it. But, if I were to do it all over again, I'd consider an '03 or newer as they gain additional airbags (greater safety), better gearing (stronger low range for 33" and up tires) and ATRAC (which works very well).

The rear differential makes it nominally more desirable as long as it works.

I see! I was worry about the integrated HVAC control, my friend's IS250 screen went out and he has no way of adjusting the climate control. Thanks for the additional info! And I didn't test out the rear diff. I assume I can simply try to engage it and it'll show an error light on the dash if it does not work?

I assume I can simply try to engage it and it'll show an error light on the dash if it does not work?
there are 2 easy tests (that I know of)
1) on dry pavement engage the rear locker (not the center diff locker), turn the wheels all the way and slowly try to move forward. you will feel a very hard resistance to this, if it moves at all
2) engage the rear diff locker, lift the rear of the truck (both wheels in the air), put it in N and turn the rear wheel with your hands. if the opposite wheel turns in the same direction the locker is engaged, if it turns in opposite direction, you have an open differential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom