1965 FJ40 Rebuild Questions questions questions.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Everybody! Forum Newb here... tip of the hat, I’m glad to have found this website and forum and appreciate you taking the time to read this.

So I bought this 1965 fj40 and wound up putting a solid running motor and tranny from a 1970 fj40 in it. Not certain if early 70, or late 70? How do I find out?

I put a pro comp 2.5” lift kit on it, with 285/75/16s. Tires fit great and don’t rub, but did develop a sort of metal rub or whine, some kind of noise, under the tub, but only on acceleration or higher rpm when shifting from 1st to 2nd, and to third, but it’s fine in 3rd and ok in lower gears not under acceleration. U joints seem ok. Does it in in two and four wheel drive.

Carb issues too. It has this Rochester on it. It s ok but needs a new kits every few years, starts flooding out. Would I have any better performance out of a Webber or something else?

How about air cleaners? Never much liked this, wouldn’t bigger be better?

Thanks all for the reply’s

2CD34962-F566-4C1D-B0EA-31FFBC807DD2.jpeg

View attachment 1606868

6B724017-EE08-45E2-9AAA-5B4D20C44641.jpeg

D8DF285F-E3C3-412D-86E2-35690D478051.jpeg

FBA8FD34-7E32-4ADB-B061-CDACB984CF24.jpeg

Last edited:
Mark’s Off Road Burbank, CA has them and would make sure you get a nice used exhaust manifold with a working flapper. A funtioning heat riser manifold is helpful. I just recently learned Mark’s has some 1 year production only(1969) wide runner intake manifolds too:cheers:.

Here’s a link to the Hi-Po intake’s 65swb45 has in stock. I just planed and resealed my 71 manifolds or else I’d give the wide runner a try. FWIW the fel-pro in/ex gasket is nice, it has wide flame rings:cheers:.

Do your wipers work?

EAD95A07-B344-49F4-8C68-D2217C7ED672.jpeg
5FFCB752-A38D-4873-8EFE-AC97913212AB.jpeg
Ugh! No!, well one works, barely...
like driving a tank..getting to elk camp was a bitch this year! Just got to new motors and arms from speedway racing, haven’t installed yet.. the look a little light duty tho...

HEY Fisherman! Small world!! Thanks, it’s a beaut, that I bought in Butte, MT at a pawnshop!
Fly fisher, the veteran’s Hwy link is awesome, thanks for that, I’ll make time to go down that road soon!
Cheers to seeing that fj2f up the root soon!:beer:

Welcome!!

Your 40 is gorgeous and looks like it's living the badass-40 dream!!

For your spare... Can't see much from your pictures, but does your spare carrier mount thru a backer-plate inside the rear of corner of your 40? More info and pictures needed to help with this... Or, get Ryan (@rkymtnflyfisher) to take a look at it.

Thank you much. It does, yes. Currently traveling, but will post better shots. I’d like to get a heavier duty rear bumper and different design tire mount. Just need to be able to access the rear window.

And thanks for the Ryan referral, said he had seen my FJ at subway the other day- small world. Nice to know he’s in the neighborhood, maybe we can talk cruisers and trout over a beer!

ever get to Trader Brothers? wife's son owns it.

I've got lots of parts here in Helena and the wife gets over that way every so often.
my 2 cents is headers aren't needed on a landcruiser engine.

nice rig.

I've got lots of parts here in Helena and the wife gets over that way every so often.

nice rig.
Good to know about the parts, are you in the book? thanx 3pup, Wouldn’t happen to have any old wiper motors/arms?

nice rig.

We need to meet up sometime, maybe talk to a guy here with a early 45 that I know.

Good to know about the parts, are you in the book? thanx 3pup, Wouldn’t happen to have any old wiper motors/arms?
Oh, and I do shop the trader brothers for years now. Great place, square deals.

We need to meet up sometime, maybe talk to a guy here with a early 45 that I know.

You bet, then later this spring, I have a nice stretch of Lolo Creek for you. Nice little eddy, spawning ground of sorts ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom