Opinions on this 3x Locked '94 For Sale (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Will Van

GOLD Star
Threads
I am going to look at this 1994 3x locked FZJ80 with 183k miles on it later this week. I'd just like the community's opinion of the truck, and anything you guys think I should look out for, before I meet with the seller.

1994 Toyota Land Cruiser LOCKERS FZJ80 FJ40 FJ60 FJ80 FJ45 Bronco 4 Runner for sale: photos, description, features, options

9_EC65_D30_B62_C_4_E8_F_BFCE_FA036238_E9_FA.jpg

A9599025_C0_B0_4_BB7_8767_3_FFD36_EDFD47.jpg

1994_toyota_land_cruiser_lockers_fzj80_fj40_fj60_fj80_fj45_bronco_4_runner_7.jpg

A bit more background beyond the ad. The truck has new OME springs, new shocks (unsure brand) and new tie rod ends. Seller says the truck is lifted "1.5" with the OME springs." I'm not aware of any OME lifts for the FJ80 that are 1.5". Maybe he means the stock height replacement OME kit, which offers some minor lift (0.75")? Regardless, here is as shot of the springs. You can barely see the tag for the OME spring markings (DS vs PS).

Under_1.jpg

A few more additional shots under the vehicle.

Under_2.jpg

Under_3.jpg

Under_4.jpg

Some fading on the hood, but the roof looks good.

C831_A88_B_2_DF8_4_BB5_98_A8_2_EB9_A6070_B31.jpg

28_B84_D22_A3_FC_42_B7_AE65_331_A3_C6_E7_EA7.jpg

A3_DCA9_EF_9_A04_4589_9_B5_D_7_AEE9_D295_EF7.jpg

5_B54_D972_DD8_E_4_DCD_B98_B_BEEF1016_B9_AE.jpg

And then the spots that concern me the most. There is some rust behind the rear bumper and some on one of the door jamb seams.

PS
63978_B6_C_94_ED_45_DD_979_F_106_A68_E04763.jpg

DS doesn't look bad. Maybe some rust near the mud flap.

479_FAC17_B871_4_CB9_AF68_9524165_DDADA.jpg

And the door seam
Door_Seam.jpg

The truck is located in SLC, Utah, so obviously it has seen salted roads. Despite that, the truck appears to have been very well maintained, and probably garage-kept. I plan to be exceptionally methodical looking for rust that my local inspector may have missed. But assuming this is all of the major rust on the vehicle, should I be concerned?

Thanks in advance!!!

I can see inside the car through that hole. Rust like that is a deal breaker for me. If that’s what you can see, my concern is what you can’t see yet. Too bad because it’s beautiful otherwise.

Oem lockers are not exciting to me either. It sort of depends on how deep your pockets are, what kind of skills you have, your intended use for the vehicle and whether or not you can get passed that color.

In my opinion, it’s very much over priced.

Last edited:
What does really good compression mean? Get a number if he actually did it. Prob being doing the normal engine seals heater hoses, phh, fhh, heater valve, rear heat lines up above the cats and in the engine bay, easy to delegate out, plugs wires distributer rotor that kinda stuff rust doesn't look terrible. My right rear door seam has rust like that also prestty easy to find door. Prob need some kinda body work on the rear rust in back. If you can get for round 7k not 17k I would do it. Check front axle for birf soup there are square plugs on top of the knuckle open it and dip a zip tie down it, should be grey mollie grease, not liquid. Check wheel bearing play 12 and 6 click rock the tire listen and feel for slop and slap

I would pass on it. It's been mostly repainted (collision repairs) and the work is like 6 out of 10 quality. It also has big rust holes and it's rusting from the inside out in areas so you won't be able to see where the problems are. Unless it's under $3000. Then it would be worth fixing...to me.

If that rig is $17k, message me. I’ll part with my rust free 93.

It’s maroon and has rust. Throw a gallon of gas on it and a match.

That rust is a no-go! You can have mine, but mine has less miles, is in way better condition, has better mods, zero rust, only 2 owners, but will cost a few Gs more...;)

Ok, I'm going to pass on the Cruiser. Although it is the exact color combination I'm looking for (maroon with gray interior), it's just got too much rust and is overpriced. I've been looking for the right Cruiser for a while now, so I think I was trying to force this Cruiser to work.

Thank you for talking me off of the ledge!

I saw that one, but I hate white cars/trucks.

Ok, I'm going to pass on the Cruiser. Although it is the exact color combination I'm looking for (maroon with gray interior), it's just got too much rust and is overpriced. I've been looking for the right Cruiser for a while now, so I think I was trying to force this Cruiser to work.

Thank you for talking me off of the ledge!

I saw that one, but I hate white cars/trucks.

Good to know! Still, l think it shows that you can get a lot more for your money. And l totally get the color thing. Before buying my '93 l was looking at FJ60's, and found several in good condition, but was unwilling to buy one with the most common brown/tan interior color scheme, which l think is ugly.

Are there other colors you would consider? Blue? Gray? Green?

Nice truck but 2x overpriced.

Good to know! Still, l think it shows that you can get a lot more for your money. And l totally get the color thing. Before buying my '93 l was looking at FJ60's, and found several in good condition, but was unwilling to buy one with the most common brown/tan interior color scheme, which l think is ugly.

Are there other colors you would consider? Blue? Gray? Green?

Yeah, I would probably consider blue, gray/silver, or black. Depends on the condition too.

Yeah, I would probably consider blue, gray/silver, or black. Depends on the condition too.

FWIW...

I was determined to buy an FJ60, and had my heart set on an '84 in the light blue color. I had been saving for a while and had plans to buy one this summer. Well, I needed a 4WD vehicle now, as my wife has health problems and I need to be able to get to and from work without taking her Subaru and leaving her stranded. That, combined with her not being able to work for the next year, put me in a lesser budget than my desired rig would cost. So I went and found the best rig for my money, and will continue to save for my dream ride down the road. So you might consider just buying one that meets your needs now, and allow for the possibility to buy your dream down the road. Or you may need to just be super patient. I wish you well for sure :)

FWIW...

I was determined to buy an FJ60, and had my heart set on an '84 in the light blue color. I had been saving for a while and had plans to buy one this summer. Well, I needed a 4WD vehicle now, as my wife has health problems and I need to be able to get to and from work without taking her Subaru and leaving her stranded. That, combined with her not being able to work for the next year, put me in a lesser budget than my desired rig would cost. So I went and found the best rig for my money, and will continue to save for my dream ride down the road. So you might consider just buying one that meets your needs now, and allow for the possibility to buy your dream down the road. Or you may need to just be super patient. I wish you well for sure :)

Thanks for the advice/help! I wouldn't say I'm married to the maroon/gray color combo, just looking for the right truck!

Thanks for the advice/help! I wouldn't say I'm married to the maroon/gray color combo, just looking for the right truck!

I absolutely get that! I found that, at times, the more I looked, the more questions I had. Maybe I should go this route? Maybe I should just wait and wait? There was (and still is) a '94 in West Seattle that looks very clean, with 419k miles on it, for $3000. I thought about going to look at it several times. The thought was, even if it isn't my forever rig, it would give me an idea if I even like these things, and the most I would be out is a few grand if I don't like it. Just because I had an FJ40 back in the day doesn't mean I am going to love the 80. In the end, I heard the people who kept saying to spend a little more money and buy a rust-free vehicle, because mechanical stuff is easier to fix than rust, and cheaper. My rig has a few nicks and scratches, but great bones overall. There are some things to address, starting with an oil leak and a power steering pump (supposedly new) that whines until it gets warmed up. I am going to spend this year baselining it and go from there.

I'm curious, have you ever owned a Cruiser before? What has drawn you to them?

I absolutely get that! I found that, at times, the more I looked, the more questions I had. Maybe I should go this route? Maybe I should just wait and wait? There was (and still is) a '94 in West Seattle that looks very clean, with 419k miles on it, for $3000. I thought about going to look at it several times. The thought was, even if it isn't my forever rig, it would give me an idea if I even like these things, and the most I would be out is a few grand if I don't like it. Just because I had an FJ40 back in the day doesn't mean I am going to love the 80. In the end, I heard the people who kept saying to spend a little more money and buy a rust-free vehicle, because mechanical stuff is easier to fix than rust, and cheaper. My rig has a few nicks and scratches, but great bones overall. There are some things to address, starting with an oil leak and a power steering pump (supposedly new) that whines until it gets warmed up. I am going to spend this year baselining it and go from there.

I'm curious, have you ever owned a Cruiser before? What has drawn you to them?

Never a Land Cruiser, but tons of Toyotas. I currently have a '99 Tacoma 4WD 5-speed and I used to own a '96 4Runner 4WD auto. My father drives a LS 400. My uncle has an '87 pickup. Etc.

I like Land Cruisers in general because they're iconic, reliable, and easy to work on. I like the 80 series because it blends the ultra-reliability of a Toyota with a solid front axle, 4WD, and lockers. But it also has modern amenities that the older Cruisers don't have like coil spring suspension, leather interior, fuel injection, cruise control, etc. Plus, a nice one is within my price range. Compared to the 40 and 60 series, they're relatively undiscovered.

Never a Land Cruiser, but tons of Toyotas. I currently have a '99 Tacoma 4WD 5-speed and I used to own a '96 4Runner 4WD auto. My father drives a LS 400. My uncle has an '87 pickup. Etc.

I like Land Cruisers in general because they're iconic, reliable, and easy to work on. I like the 80 series because it blends the ultra-reliability of a Toyota with a solid front axle, 4WD, and lockers. But it also has modern amenities that the older Cruisers don't have like coil spring suspension, leather interior, fuel injection, cruise control, etc. Plus, a nice one is within my price range. Compared to the 40 and 60 series, they're relatively undiscovered.
Awesome. I'll keep my eyes open. How far are you willing to travel to get one? It's too bad you're in Texas, there are 3 maroon ones for sale in my general area. None with lockers though.

These guys (in SLC) buy these rigs, do the basic lift/bumpers and shine them up. They do good work and have had a few pop up in good condition.

Check Denver's listings. There are a handful of trucks, 3x locked, lifted and ready to roll.

I'm not one to do a ton of my own maintenance, so I get your point about spending above 15k. For some of us, getting closer to the right rig is worth spending extra $. For me, it needs to be accident free and no rust. Well, a little in the obvious areas is okay, but that's a lot.

Denver has a bunch on the market. Good luck.

I am going to look at this 1994 3x locked FZJ80 with 183k miles on it later this week. I'd just like the community's opinion of the truck, and anything you guys think I should look out for, before I meet with the seller.

Didn't you already post about this rig? The rusted-through part is terrifying, and if I understand the picture correctly, that's the body behind the rear wheel. Always get a look at the back side of the rear axle and suspension, and the body behind the rear axle!

And forget about 3x locked. People are constantly posting about problems with the factory lockers seizing up at this age. Spend 1/4 the amount of money on an unlocked, rust-free rig and add Harrop lockers. You can wire them to a factory Toyota locker switch and feel super cool. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom