Bought a 1990 HZJ75 Troopy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

congrats, i have a 1990 1hz troopy as well. per the RHD, i just trained my brain to always use the stalk next to the window, it will always be the turn signal. More pics!

She's at Valley Hybrids getting good once-over before our inaugural roadtrip to Baja. It had a pretty bad fuel leak at the IP, so that's getting rebuilt, along with injectors. It's also getting brakes, transmission/transfer case rebuilt, wheel bearings, and a few other things. This is a good reminder to potential cruiser buyers - don't forget to budget for repairs. I made sure to and I think she'll be very mechanically solid after this.

So I'm about to take my first trip and I'm completely new to the 70 series platform. Are there any tools, particular size sockets/wrenches/spanners, etc that you recommend stay in my tool kit? Spare parts? I've picked up a Gregory's #513 but that's the extent of it so far.

Congrats on the purchase. I assume that this was Nathan's? If so, I texted back and forth with him a bit and he seemed like a really solid guy. I know that he had a challenged getting it titled in CA so I offered help in Oregon but he said he had it sorted with a WA buyer which I assume is you.

That's the one. Good guy for sure.

1 I have found the 235x85x16 the best around tyre size, approx 32 inch. 60 and 70 are the same rims

I had 285/75/R15 BFG KM2 mud terrains on my 60 that I'm going to swap over. They are almost brand new. They're mounted on an aftermarket set of 16x7" ris (3.75" backspace, 0 offset) that just cleared the calipers and tie-rods on my 60. Fingers crossed that they fit and ride well.

Fingers crossed that they fit and ride well.

I think you will be ok , if not a 50mm lift would fix it. If the suspension is original it would be sagging pretty bad by now.

Thanks for bringing the troopy to us to have some work done Dylan!
IP & injectors should be back late today. We'll have the cruiser ready to go later this week. When you pick it up we'll talk about suspensions.
I'd say get your first big trip under your belt and then we'll come up with a plan for future mods.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

Are there any tools, particular size sockets/wrenches/spanners, etc that you recommend stay in my tool kit?

I carry an adjustable spanner and a Philips head screwdriver but have never used them, but an assortment of 10mm to 17mm spanners/sockets , screwdrivers, a block of wood, a hammer, electrical test lamp/multimeter, pliers, some good tie wire, cardboard for gaskets, gasket sealant is about it if you are going to remote areas.
But for mainly city work, the factory tool kit is usefull
One mod I think all Landcruisers should have is some butterfly nuts on the batteries. I had an electrical fire one night because of some s***ty work done by the PO. The butterfly nuts on the batteries allowed me too disconnect them real quick and it probably saved the FJ73. The cabin was filling with smoke and you don't want to be rummaging around for a spanner etc.
Some easy to access battery switches would be even better, anything to shut it down fast.
Clean the dust and fluff out of the heater fan, its a fire hazard.

IMG_3219.JPG
I spy a rebuilt IP!!!

:)

I spy a rebuilt IP!!!

:)

Georg,

Are you guys rebuilding injection pumps in house or do you have someone stateside you'd recommend using for an IP overhaul? No problems with mine yet thankfully, but it's something I've thought about for my 2H pump. Can you guys modify pumps for turbo applications?

The pump in this cruiser was pretty worn out and had a serious leak. Required a complete rebuild. We had the injectors rebuilt at the same time.
We send our IPs and injectors to Diamond Diesel in Oakland CA. Dave been in business for a long time and have a great reputation. We've been using them for quite a while and are very happy with their work and services.
As for a turbo install, you'll need to add a boost compensator to the pump and turn up the fuel accordingly.

Just got back from a 20-minute test drive.

The troopy is running great!!! Transmission and Tcase are freshly rebuilt and working perfect.

Gotta fix the headlights and it'll be going home, then south!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom