Water Pump & Timing Belt Price (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys,

I jut got a quote for the water pump & timing belt at Grappone Toyota in Bow, NH for $891 total (no tax in NH). They said its a 6 1/2 Hr job.

What is your take on the price? And what is a fair price for the work at a Toyota dealership?

The rig is a 2005 Landcruiser.

Thanks

That sounds very fair...my indy shop charges $450 (without parts), but that was to do almost everything on the front end, TB, H20 pump, pulleys and tensioners, thermostat...your bonus is that it is at a Toyota dealership, so it will be reflected on the Toyota maintenance record...My $.02

Hi Guys,

I jut got a quote for the water pump & timing belt at Grappone Toyota in Bow, NH for $891 total (no tax in NH). They said its a 6 1/2 Hr job.

What is your take on the price? And what is a fair price for the work at a Toyota dealership?

The rig is a 2005 Landcruiser.

Thanks
Whats your mileage? Typically the TB belt tensioner, pulleys, cam and crank seals, thermostat + some other "while your in there" stuff get done at this time as well. For that price I doubt they are changing those parts.

My local mech agreed to source OEM denso items and with labor it was about $800.00 last year.

That's a very good price from a dealer. Nashua Toyota quoted me $1200 and Wellesley Toyota quoted me $1500.

I ended up buying the Aisin kit off of Amazon for $169 and Nashua Toyota was willing to install it for me for $450 and they gave me a free loaner car for the day.

Whats your mileage? Typically the TB belt tensioner, pulleys, cam and crank seals, thermostat + some other "while your in there" stuff get done at this time as well. For that price I doubt they are changing those parts.
I am currently at 173,750 miles. I went on Toyota to look at the history and there isnt any after 55,000 miles when the rig was sold to the owner before me who drove it from 58k - 170k.... I will say they had receipts for work done by previous owner but not at a Toyota Dealership.

Aisin timing belt kit on amazon for $169 includes bearings, tensioner, water pump. Also got the thermostat and o ring while I was there for a total of $200. Got on Yourmechanic.com, be sure to check the box that you have your own parts. The labor was $360 and they come to your house or work and do it. Took about 3.5 hours

Took about 3.5 hours
Those Aisin kits are great. I just received one from RockAuto to do my 2UZ-FE Tundra. I've done this a few times and it's not terribly difficult just takes time. Anyone who can roll in and do it in 3.5 hours is an all-star.
I think paying someone around $450 bucks labor is a great deal. I also think parts & labor for under a grand from a dealer is very good as well.

Last edited:
When I was buying I was looking at one at a Toyo dealer that did not have the TB done. They gave a pretty low quote, $650 or something like that, and they would throw it in. The truck was too rough for me, so I dig further, but I am thinking they literally gave me the price for a TB replacement only.

What is the ultimate while in there list? Don't people say to do the fan bracket as well?

Me and many others here used the 90k parts list in the FAQ and added some parts from other major tuneup threads and modified it to our wants/needs. The parts alone on the list is well over 1k. This pretty much replaces all wear items/misc coolant hoses.

I am currently at 173,750 miles. I went on Toyota to look at the history and there isnt any after 55,000 miles when the rig was sold to the owner before me who drove it from 58k - 170k.... I will say they had receipts for work done by previous owner but not at a Toyota Dealership.
So based on the miles and no record of the initial TB replacement, you might consider also replacing at minimum the TB pulleys, tensioner, cam and crank seals and possibly the fan pulley bracket- thermostat & orings, and accessory belt.

Your basically due for a 180k service. The other stuff you can do your self like spark plugs, diff fluids, TC case fluids, PCV valve, transmission drain & fill, drive shaft lube, ujoints greased, brake fluid flush, power steering flush.

When I was buying I was looking at one at a Toyo dealer that did not have the TB done. They gave a pretty low quote, $650 or something like that, and they would throw it in. The truck was too rough for me, so I dig further, but I am thinking they literally gave me the price for a TB replacement only.

What is the ultimate while in there list? Don't people say to do the fan bracket as well?
The "Complete Parts List" for 180K Service

HMMM your truck looks very familiar.

Any idea where it came out of Maine? I traded one in just like that one. Same tires, same mileage, same color, etc.

I have my vin if you are curious. The service history was up until 51454 at Berlin City Toyota. Once I purchased I did all my own or had a place that I trust do some work. If it is mine everything was done with OEM parts. Everything you touch was replaced at the 90K service.

I thought I had entered it on the Toyota site myself but am wondering if they don't show it.

Let me know if you want my old VIN to see if it was my truck.

If it is my wife misses it even though she now drives a lx470 or the 2017

John

upload_2018-1-9_20-31-17.jpeg

upload_2018-1-9_20-31-48.jpeg

HMMM your truck looks very familiar.

Any idea where it came out of Maine? I traded one in just like that one. Same tires, same mileage, same color, etc.

I have my vin if you are curious. The service history was up until 51454 at Berlin City Toyota. Once I purchased I did all my own or had a place that I trust do some work. If it is mine everything was done with OEM parts. Everything you touch was replaced at the 90K service.

I thought I had entered it on the Toyota site myself but am wondering if they don't show it.

Let me know if you want my old VIN to see if it was my truck.

If it is my wife misses it even though she now drives a lx470 or the 2017

John

Hi JOFS, This rig must be yours... Berlin City in Portland had the records up until the 50k range. I would love to see if the vins match. I love the rig and its my first LC.

Thanks

Sending you a PM.

JOFS, I just noticed your second post with the pics. Thats 100% my LC... I can tell by the front bumper! Thats awesome. Any info you can share on what not to replace would be great!

Very cool you traded it in for a new LC. My wife drives a GMC Yukon and is always after my keys to drive it.

Just got quoted $1134 + tax for the TB/WP job with OEM parts, front bearings repack, tightening and greasing of spider joints, 1 quart of Toyota Red coolant and 12 quart exchange on ATF with Toyota fluid. No plugs, coils or belts, but everything else. This quote came from Round Rock Toyota. Seems like an incredibly reasonable price. Was thinking of doing the job myself, but the price and amount of labor seems like a no-brainer to me. Especially considering I'll be worn out from installing diff breathers, CV axles, front rotors and pads as well as steering rack bushings.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom