Bad news (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have a 78 fj 40 I bought at a junkyard a few years ago. Originally bought it for the seats and dash pad which I used in a 76 I was restoring at the time. After lots of inspection I've deside that it's too far gone for restoring. Tub is really bad and frame has major rot.
20180108_155033.jpg

Well then, don't restore it, turn it into a trail beater!
;)

Well, post some photos so that we can talk you out of parting it out!

Lol. It runs , needs a distributor. The grandkids like riding through the woods in it It has a gm sm 420 transmission and a 2F engine. Just needs so much work.

If the cowl is good u could put a 3/4 tub on it. Used good frames are cheap.

Problem with cheap frames they tend to be where they are not needed. Someone wanted one I had and after a couple of years and waiting for it to be picked the guy found a shipper who thought he was going to dictate what I had to do for him including when. That involved taking off time that would cost as much as I was selling it for. Probably end up using it now. Post 8/80 frames have a few advantages when installing a five speed.

sounds like you bought the rig for a few parts that you used, and you may now be back where you started.... either way it looks like a ton of usable parts to sell.... if the tub is as far gone as you say, maybe part it out. if the tub could be patched, maybe sell it to someone who wants a big project, just let them know it will need a frame.

If you have the time, you would make the most money probably piece by piece... some of these FJ40 parts are becoming more and more like gold...

Problem with cheap frames they tend to be where they are not needed. Someone wanted one I had and after a couple of years and waiting for it to be picked the guy found a shipper who thought he was going to dictate what I had to do for him including when. That involved taking off time that would cost as much as I was selling it for. Probably end up using it now. Post 8/80 frames have a few advantages when installing a five speed.
Very true, but if he is in Kentucky as it mentions as his locations mentions, he should only have to travel maybe a state away at most. Aqualu builds new frames if tha

Very true, but if he is in Kentucky as it mentions as his locations mentions, he should only have to travel maybe a state away at most. Aqualu builds new frames if tha

I'm afraid to ask what a new frame cost? How many styles do they make. I know using my 82 frame in my 79 would make changing to a five speed easier. Just wish I knew how to clear it with DMV in AZ. TLC figured it out in CA. I do have a small bend in the rear frame member, certainly not that bad. I've seen some of the frames TLC replaced and those were in better condition then mine. I'm assuming a frame switch in West Virginia the state motor vehicle department has to be involved or is this one of the states that doesn't issue titles after a certain age a bill of sale is all you need?

I'm afraid to ask what a new frame cost? How many styles do they make. I know using my 82 frame in my 79 would make changing to a five speed easier. Just wish I knew how to clear it with DMV in AZ. TLC figured it out in CA. I do have a small bend in the rear frame member, certainly not that bad. I've seen some of the frames TLC replaced and those were in better condition then mine. I'm assuming a frame switch in West Virginia the state motor vehicle department has to be involved or is this one of the states that doesn't issue titles after a certain age a bill of sale is all you need?
2000.00. So if you got a complete aqualu tub(not a 3/4 tub) and a new frame you would have to spend about 11k with shipping. The aqualu frames are completely boxed, no c channel. Which may sound like a lot, but Im guessing the op got the rig for pennies. So take 11k plus a 5k paint job(not show quality but not maaco either), you would have a pretty nice non rusted nor ever to rust 40 for around 20k.

Im failing to see what is bad news here... lol

I just see a good opportunity

Have a 78 fj 40 I bought at a junkyard a few years ago. Originally bought it for the seats and dash pad which I used in a 76 I was restoring at the time. After lots of inspection I've deside that it's too far gone for restoring. Tub is really bad and frame has major rot.View attachment 1606734
No problems......only solutions my friend!

2000.00. So if you got a complete aqualu tub(not a 3/4 tub) and a new frame you would have to spend about 11k with shipping. The aqualu frames are completely boxed, no c channel. Which may sound like a lot, but Im guessing the op got the rig for pennies. So take 11k plus a 5k paint job(not show quality but not maaco either), you would have a pretty nice non rusted nor ever to rust 40 for around 20k.

That doesn't include rust free top, doors, windshield frame and front clip. Then there is the roll bar, seat frames and other small parts. Plus include the labor required to do a frame off. Long way from just finding a cheap frame. Plus consider that $20K would probably going have to be cash or possibly put up something else for collateral to get a loan.

That doesn't include rust free top, doors, windshield frame and front clip. Then there is the roll bar, seat frames and other small parts. Plus include the labor required to do a frame off. Long way from just finding a cheap frame. Plus consider that $20K would probably going have to be cash or possibly put up something else for collateral to get a loan.
Technically he would be at 16k, I just figured another 4k for misc. Stuff like that. I didn't include labor. Figured swapping bodies and frames are within diy skill of most mud members. Just a option for him. A used frame would be much cheaper.

Technically he would be at 16k, I just figured another 4k for misc. Stuff like that. I didn't include labor. Figured swapping bodies and frames are within diy skill of most mud members. Just a option for him. A used frame would be much cheaper.

Would probably matter the condition of all the body parts besides the frame and tub. Those are getting pricey to replace now. The days of rust free body parts for cheap are gone for the most part.

I'm sure this is how most others feel here, but I can't seem to walk by a FJ40 destined to be a parts truck without visualizing it being restored.
I picked up a 77 Fj40 this summer for $600, it had been sitting in a field for 25 years. I used its wire harness, dash pads, front seat brackets, jump seats, some engine splash pans, interior courtesy light, some dash control knobs, accelerator pedal, manual throttle linkage and rear ambulance doors for my recent finished 78 FJ40LV-KCJA rebuild. Well worth the money spent to purchase it.

But now, I'm looking at this truck and making dream plans for restoring it to usable condition ( you'd think that I would have learned a lesson as last summer was spent rebuilding the cruiser, no exploring, prospecting, fly-fishing just working in the garage trying to meet a Oct 31 deadline, I was only two months off.) Lets see, I could buy another Aqualu tub, maybe a FJ45 lower and make a pickup, I know the frame is shot three-quarters back so how about if I take that section out and extend the 40 frame into a 45 frame...argh... got to stop this!

I know how you feel. I had it out driving in the snow last week. I think it was about 10 outside. I hate to sell it, but it needs a new home. I have lots of parts that I need sell also. Just gotta get stuff posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom