UPDATE Ham radio class & test (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
More info:

Test location: Kings Park Library, 9000 Burke Lake Rd, Burke, VA 22015 (1.5 miles west of Kilroy's)
Date: Saturday January 27, 2018
Technician license class: 10:00 - 4:00 (yes, coffee & donuts in the morning and we will do lunch)
Tests for Technician, General & Extra licenses: 4:00 If you don't need/want to attend the class for the technician license and just want to take a test show up at 4:00.
What to bring: Government issued ID (drivers license) If you are already a ham, bring your ham license.

Background info: There are 3 (technician, general and extra) Amateur (Ham) Radio licenses. The technician is the first level which is the most useful for off-roading. The technician license provides operators with a variety of local comms capabilities. The general license offers operators access to frequencies that will provide extended (region, country and worldwide) coverage. Good to have if you are going to areas very far from civilization. The extra license just provides operators with some additional bandwidth, no additional comms capabilities.

Class for the Technician level license: For those of you planning to take the class for the technician license please print the 3 documents below and bring them to the class. The ncvec.org link will give you all of the possible test questions with answers. There will be 30 questions on the test. We will go over these in the class. Don't stress when you see the tech questions, there are easy, understandable explanations. Kids in elementary school (and seniors) have passed the test.

After you pass the technician test you can take the general test. Might as well, nothing to lose. We are not planning to cover any of the general license questions in the class. Maybe a few if there is free time before 4:00. If there is interest in getting the general license, we can have another class to cover those questions and offer the test. The extra license will require its own class. The questions & answers for those of you interested in taking the general & extra license test are here:

Additional study material for the technician, general & extra licenses can be found here:

Exam review: ARRL Exam Review for Ham Radio™ (no need to fill in the optional info page)
Exam prep: Instruction: Exam Practice and Review
General info: ARRL | Licensing, Education & Training | Getting on the Air
Also, Google ham/amateur radio test​

Attendance: So far, the yes/maybe attendance list:
HAKALUGI
BOB B
JAKES40
IPTMAN
TRAVELDUD
VON HAYEK & BROTHER
ID COWBOY
LOW & SLOW
STUMPALAMA KM4SXK (general test)
FJFAR80
MACATTACK-GA
DEVILMANS HAND KK4SNQ (general test)
CAZ
CRUSHA
JROSS
FJ DEMON
DOMINICAN FJZ80
CANUCK VA
HOUNDDOG
ESTMEDICINALUTO
SCHMUCKSTER

Most important... If you plan to attend and you are not on the list please let me know so I am sure to bring enough donuts & coffee for everyone.

Apinti KM4EKU & StaleAle KK4SOC will be assisting me with the class.

See ya on the 27th,
Ed WA3TOL

Damn. Wish it was closer to Charles Town WV. I was stupid and let my license expire - KD4VNL.
I retired from the Coast Guard with an average code speed of 40+ words per minute, and have used everything from CW to SATCOM. HF is still my favorite band!
While on Guam, I QSL'd a message from a merchant ship arriving at Mobile Bay Alabama on 22 Megs. Not too bad.
Another good one - ZNI2 (unclas RATT) from Chesapeake Virginia to Honolulu HI while at COMMSTA Portsmouth (NMN) on - get this - 2 megs. NMO could not believe it...LOL!
Good luck to all taking the test!
--... ...--
DE KD4VNL AR

@RiFF RaFF if you can get to Berryville you can ride in with me.

@RiFF RaFF if you can get to Berryville you can ride in with me.
Thanks for the invite! Let me see if I can cram for the test, and I'll get back to you. That would be great!
Might be time to dust off my Drake TR4.

Doug

More info:

Test location: Kings Park Library, 9000 Burke Lake Rd, Burke, VA 22015 (1.5 miles west of Kilroy's)
Date: Saturday January 27, 2018
Technician license class: 10:00 - 4:00 (yes, coffee & donuts in the morning and we will do lunch)
Tests for Technician, General & Extra licenses: 4:00 If you don't need/want to attend the class for the technician license and just want to take a test show up at 4:00.
What to bring: Government issued ID (drivers license) If you are already a ham, bring your ham license.

Background info: There are 3 (technician, general and extra) Amateur (Ham) Radio licenses. The technician is the first level which is the most useful for off-roading. The technician license provides operators with a variety of local comms capabilities. The general license offers operators access to frequencies that will provide extended (region, country and worldwide) coverage. Good to have if you are going to areas very far from civilization. The extra license just provides operators with some additional bandwidth, no additional comms capabilities.

Class for the Technician level license: For those of you planning to take the class for the technician license please print the 3 documents below and bring them to the class. The ncvec.org link will give you all of the possible test questions with answers. There will be 30 questions on the test. We will go over these in the class. Don't stress when you see the tech questions, there are easy, understandable explanations. Kids in elementary school (and seniors) have passed the test.

After you pass the technician test you can take the general test. Might as well, nothing to lose. We are not planning to cover any of the general license questions in the class. Maybe a few if there is free time before 4:00. If there is interest in getting the general license, we can have another class to cover those questions and offer the test. The extra license will require its own class. The questions & answers for those of you interested in taking the general & extra license test are here:

Additional study material for the technician, general & extra licenses can be found here:

Exam review: ARRL Exam Review for Ham Radio™ (no need to fill in the optional info page)
Exam prep: Instruction: Exam Practice and Review
General info: ARRL | Licensing, Education & Training | Getting on the Air
Also, Google ham/amateur radio test​

Attendance: So far, the yes/maybe attendance list:
HAKALUGI
BOB B
JAKES40
IPTMAN
TRAVELDUD
VON HAYEK & BROTHER
ID COWBOY
LOW & SLOW
STUMPALAMA KM4SXK (general test)
FJFAR80
MACATTACK-GA
DEVILMANS HAND KK4SNQ (general test)
CAZ
CRUSHA
JROSS
FJ DEMON
DOMINICAN FJZ80
CANUCK VA
HOUNDDOG
ESTMEDICINALUTO
SCHMUCKSTER

Most important... If you plan to attend and you are not on the list please let me know so I am sure to bring enough donuts & coffee for everyone.

Apinti KM4EKU & StaleAle KK4SOC will be assisting me with the class.

See ya on the 27th,
Ed WA3TOL
I plan to attend

Orangejon

Riff Raff, How long ago did your license expire? There is a 2 year grace period for renewals after the license expires. I used to have a TR4. Great radio!

Orangejon, you are now on the list. See you on the 27th.
You can search my call sign ... it's been too long now.
Add me to the list, and I hope to make it.

@emorth Just to be clear on this before I start reviewing is the correct answer given (green), followed by the reference section (red) ? I assume this is the case, but wanted to double check first.

Screen Shot 2018-01-10 at 1.19.18 PM.png

Dam I'd guess D
That's a trick answer!!

Purchased the Technician and General License Manuals last weekend...AMAZON...1-day shipping is great. "Hope" to have read through the Technicians Manual by the 27th...

Add Me to the in list. Not sure what the hell im gonna do with this, but what the hell! Looks like a great group and I don’t have to work.

I'm most likely out. Just had hardwood installed/refinished and I'm doing the baseboard, hand rail, ... in addition to moving everything back into place.

I'm most likely out. Just had hardwood installed/refinished and I'm doing the baseboard, hand rail, ... in addition to moving everything back into place.

Someone didn't use the 7 P's!!

Proper Planning and Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom