70 Series Steering Column Cover Parts Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there, I purchased a new to me an 88 BJ74 a few weeks ago. I started a parts order last night, but was stumped given the number of options for the steering column covers for 70 series. Specifically, there are options/acronyms unfamiliar with (DTY Window or TIS--maybe tilt steering?) to know which route to go. My existing column cover is brown. Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks!

Where are you looking for parts that you're getting so many options?

I see two options, Shadow Grey or Sepia Brown. Having been down this road the brown is discontinued but you can easily paint that grey to match your needed color.

Thanks for the idea Kurt. I was looking at ordering from megazip but cross-checking my part numbers with partsouq. I didn't know the brown was discontinued. Actually, I only need the lower portion so ordering the gray and painting (or just leaving grey) wouldn't be that bad. Cross checking partsouq I think made me more confused. Here's the specific link with all the variants: STEERING COLUMN & SHAFT | LAND CRUISER RJ70,LJ70,BJ7#,HJ75,FJ7# BJ74RV-MNXQ | Toyota | Genuine Parts Catalogs | PartSouq Auto Parts Around the World

FYI, you can get the brown but it is from a newer 70-series. As long as it is pre-2007 when Toyota re-designed the dash it is no worries. These trucks were all the same, for the most part, up to 2007.

And on the same note, things like newer center consoles will work too but it may not be a bolt in job. May have to modify the mounts on the floor pan but for me it would be well worth the effort.

Cheers

Thanks for the idea Kurt. I was looking at ordering from megazip but cross-checking my part numbers with partsouq. I didn't know the brown was discontinued. Actually, I only need the lower portion so ordering the gray and painting (or just leaving grey) wouldn't be that bad. Cross checking partsouq I think made me more confused. Here's the specific link with all the variants: STEERING COLUMN & SHAFT | LAND CRUISER RJ70,LJ70,BJ7#,HJ75,FJ7# BJ74RV-MNXQ | Toyota | Genuine Parts Catalogs | PartSouq Auto Parts Around the World

The 45286-60927-06 (Bluish Grey), 45286-60927-16 (Sable) all supercede to the 45286-60927-13 (grey), our part# INT60927G

INT60927G.jpg

We have had great luck painting them brown with a plastic paint...

INT60927B.jpg

FYI, you can get the brown but it is from a newer 70-series. As long as it is pre-2007 when Toyota re-designed the dash it is no worries. These trucks were all the same, for the most part, up to 2007.

And on the same note, things like newer center consoles will work too but it may not be a bolt in job. May have to modify the mounts on the floor pan but for me it would be well worth the effort....

While it may very well fit the 84-98/90 variant, the hole orientation for the hazard switch is different, I've never tried to interchange but I suppose anything is possible if one wanted to remount the hazard to the earlier column? Anyone tried?

Here is the 90+ RHD with the different hazard location

Capture.JPG

Do you have a part number for a Sepia Brown in the newer style? All I can find are Oak (lighter) and Shadow Grey. It might be 45286-60931-06 (06 being the Sepia Brown color code for the older style)

Don't forget the stickers too!

IMG_6746 (Small).JPG

Note the variation between L-R and R-L for LHD/RHD models

While it may very well fit the 84-98/90 variant, the hole orientation for the hazard switch is different, I've never tried to interchange but I suppose anything is possible if one wanted to remount the hazard to the earlier column.

Do you have a part number for a Sepia Brown in the newer style? All I can find are Oak (lighter) and Shadow Grey. It might be 45286-60931-06 (06 being the Sepia Brown color code for the older style)

I have not personally tried it but may soon.

I will see if I can find the part number, tons of searches across many 70 models is what led me to it.

There are a couple of other codes for brown as well besides the 06. Although as you mention there are some shade differences.

Painting the grey is certainly a good option. Myself, I have not had the best luck painting plastic interior parts but I am well aware it is all about prep and product used.

Cheers

Let me know what you find. I'm looking specifically at the RHD part numbers as the OP has a RHD but I seem to recall the LHD models having their hazard switch in a different place all along on the 84-90 so perhaps they don't need any mods at all. I'll have to look through my pics or remember to look at the museum.

Part number for the LHD clam shell in "oak" is
4528660928E0

and the RHD part #
4528660927E0

I can say for certain the "oak" matches the brown in my 1990 PZJ70 which in turn matches the brown found in all 60-series.

Cheers

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom