saginaw conversion info (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm planning on a Saginaw conversion in the spring and I would like some input as to what company has the best kit, prices, etc. I have researched this till blue in the face and could use some expert advice.
Leaning toward the Advance Adapter and Cruiser Outfitters kits. Have used A/A stuff before, very, very good. Never used C/O. and don't know anything about them.

Thanks, CAJ

I'm planning on a Saginaw conversion in the spring and I would like some input as to what company has the best kit, prices, etc. I have researched this till blue in the face and could use some expert advice.
Leaning toward the Advance Adapter and Cruiser Outfitters kits. Have used A/A stuff before, very, very good. Never used C/O. and don't know anything about them.

Thanks, CAJ

Every experiance that ive had with Cruiser Outfitters has been top knotch. You cant go wrong with them.

I like Luke's stuff from 4x4 Labs, particularly as far as the frame brackets are concerned.

I have the cruiser outfitters kit on mine and I’ve been happy with it!

I like Luke's stuff from 4x4 Labs, particularly as far as the frame brackets are concerned.
Went to their web site. Like their mount. Do you have the instructions? I would like to see what is involved in mounting it to the frame.

It's pretty straight forward. I've installed 3 of them for friends. The cross member reinforcement let's you set the box deeper and maintain strength. With aftermarket shackles in the OEM shackle location you have less clearance issues with the thicker shackle and nut. With shackle reversal and SOA it moves the pitman TRE farther back and gives you a little more clearance above the leaf spring. This helps on some SOA installs some when the left tire is stuffed in the fender on a hard left turn

As of April 2015 the 4x4labs kit did not come with instructions. It did however come with Luke. I sent him a few questions via email and he responded promptly. My first go at welding/frame slicing was my sag conversion. So, buger welds are present but I can take some close-ups of my junk if you don’t find what you’re looking for on 4x4labs web page.:cheers:

Last edited:
It's pretty straight forward. I've installed 3 of them for friends. The cross member reinforcement let's you set the box deeper and maintain strength. With aftermarket shackles in the OEM shackle location you have less clearance issues with the thicker shackle and nut. With shackle reversal and SOA it moves the pitman TRE farther back and gives you a little more clearance above the leaf spring. This helps on some SOA installs some when the left tire is stuffed in the fender on a hard left turn
Are there any spring issues. It looked like the shackle mount is further away from the frame than original. I emailed Luke to see if I could get more info.

Please send any info you can. Am I right in assuming that it has passenger side pieces as well? It looks great but I like to make sure there is water in the pool before I jump in, know what I mean?

Please send any info you can. Am I right in assuming that it has passenger side pieces as well? It looks great but I like to make sure there is water in the pool before I jump in, know what I mean?
Yes, P/S plates are included and described on his website (hint: reference to VIN cutout). I've only used the kit on rigs with shackle reversal and SOA, which he shows in his pics, since that's an OEM rear spring hanger welded up front. Relocating the OEM shackle bracket is easier, though I would replace it a Ruff Stuff shackle bracket.

Not sure if you still have a stock sua setup, but I left my front shackle mount in place. I sliced the bolt tube holes with a plasma cutter. Definately would be easier with shackle hangers removed.
5C3051F2-300D-4072-A5D6-B40D4FF3290A.jpeg

453A6EE9-5067-4157-840D-B6AE070D369A.jpeg

8C0F7FB9-3466-45DA-BC16-545FA30449AA.jpeg

62B67C8A-7D19-4E2A-85D0-A80BD769001C.jpeg

Not sure if you still have a stock sua setup, but I left my front shackle mount in place. I sliced the bolt tube holes with a plasma cutter. Definately would be easier with shackle hangers removed. View attachment 1607024

View attachment 1607026

View attachment 1607027

View attachment 1607028
Thanks for the pics. It helps. I like the mount but I really don't want to deal with the springs. I have stock spring setup and would prefer to keep it, and your way looks promising.

I used Luke’s bumper. The OEM frame horns were removed, 4x4Labs bumper mount plates were welded on. Here’s a couple pics.

45F09F3B-7D9F-4438-8826-6B8AE20489F4.jpeg

756DE7C4-C0B7-47A6-B8DE-52D513EBD380.jpeg

F17FF81F-21AB-4EEC-A193-C50FF67D10DC.jpeg

Reactions: SMG
Although Downey Off Road Mfg is out of business, as luck would have it I do have a righteous set-up you can save some $$$ on, including a fresh reman. 4 1/4 turn gear box I just picked up- - -I'll send you a PM.

I bought the gear box plates and pump (1F style since I've the old style air filter) brackets form Marks off-road, the tie and relay rod 4+ from MAF, and the other stuff I bought from Napa, advanced auto, etc; with the parts numbers provided in Jhon Smith thread here on Ih8mud ( you'll save a lot of money). You've to check your parts yourself depending if your rig lifted SUA or SOA.

This is the thread

My Saginaw Power Steering Swap

I hope it helps

If your not completely sold on the Saginaw conversion, check out the fj60/80 power steering swap. It wouldn’t cause the spring interference it looks like the sag has potential to do. Depending how big a tire and how hard you plan to wheel it, it’s a little less invasive. Probably a bit more expensive.
I, briefly, looked into an Astro van swap. Looked pretty good, but I found a deal on an fj80 box.

I appreciate all the good info, thanks to everyone!
CAJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom