gas lanterns vs. battery LED lanterns? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have heard that if you switch between different types of fuels, (as opposed to sticking with one from the start), that you can have issues with mantles and/or wicks getting fouled up and not burning cleanly.

I think there is more maintence with changing to less cleaner burning fuels because I got a gas stove that burns nearly everything and remember reading something about that same situation.

G'Day Fella's,

Concrete Jungle, I have always (25+ years), used a Coleman Kerosene lantern, especially on longer (more than a weekend), trips away bush.
I just take the amount of "Kero" fuel away with me, that I required for the trip (+ a little bit more). It's a great way to light a camp etc.

I recently purchased an LED light (with 2 x 2.5 meter long, flexible LED's), with it's own 10,000 milli Amp hour, Li-Ion rechargeable battery.
It can be recharged off the car battery or other power source, via a USB plug and so far (1 weekend away bush), it seems to be a good buy.
The whole thing is light weight and compact in size 200x150x40mm (8"x6"x1 1/2""), when packed in it's carry bag (it fits in my trouser back pocket). It provides enough of light to see what your doing and you can either plug just 1 or both of the flexible lights in.
Being flexible, you can rout the lights, where ever light is required, which is handy.
I recharge it of a day time, off my 4WD's auxiliary battery, which is being recharged itself, via a solar panel.

Hope that helps

D'oh!
Homer

Last edited:
Don't have much experience with gas lanterns, at least since the 70's, but I just got a new Streamlight "Seige" LED lantern that fairly rocks. Very small at 6" high by 3" wide, and on the highest of 3 settings is very bright. Rated at 540 LM on high it also has a red setting which was important to me for night vision, and which I could almost never find. At only $30 it takes 3 D batteries. It is quite heavy but that means you can push the on large illuminated power button and the lantern stays put. It's got carabiner hooks top and bottom, and the diffuser lense comes off to reveal a VERY bright 180* spread overhead light or an awesome flood light flashlight.

41kKvN7Qg1L.jpg

81F0de5%2BMgL._SL1500_.jpg

616afI4czEL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
I've been using the Streamlight Siege for 3+ years now and it's my favorite lantern. Compact, bright enough and versatile lighting/hanging options.

I just bought the Streetlight Siege today. Pretty high speed gadget. Cost me $39 from my local Streamlight Dealer. It feels solid and has a good warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom