OEM E-Lockers vs. Harrop (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Will Van

GOLD Star
Threads
I've been on the hunt for a 3x locked 80 series. I've passed up several clean trucks because they don't have OEM Toyota diff lockers. Does anyone have any experience with the Harrop/Eaton e-lockers? I like the idea of an electromagnetic locker, rather than a solenoid, because I think it would be more reliable. So in that regard, I suppose the Harrop's are better for me. Anyone have an opinion or direct comparison on the Harrop e-lockers vs. Toyota OEM lockers? Should I be considering 1x locked trucks too?

Eatonclose-1000x1000-1.jpg

difflock_big.jpg

Not interested in air lockers.

Reactions: RFB
Great product and id say superior in most every way to oem except added cost. I definitely would not be passing up clean options juts because they are not locked.

There are a multitude of threads about these lockers. Have you SEARCHED here on this forum?

Harrop E-Lockers get my vote. They a way more reliable and have less moving parts. Hit the switch and they are engaged, hit the switch again and they unlock. Mine has the factory e-locker and I’ve twisted the passenger rear axle shaft multiple times which results in either a locker that won’t unlock or a locker that won’t lock. The harrops do not have a collar that slides down the splines to engage so if you twist the shaft it still functions. You can also wire them up to an OEM switch for the factory look or use the switches they come with and have the ability to lock the front without locking the rear. I️ have installed them in customers rigs and they set up quite nicely. Contact @orangefj45 or @wardharris as Cruiser Brothers keeps them in stock and can answer any other questions you may have.

I'm pretty sure the unlocked land cruiser will handle the hills in Austin...

I'm pretty sure the unlocked land cruiser will handle the hills in Austin...
:rofl: And, according to some Mud members, lockers are never necessary.

All depends on where you're driving...

IMG_3161.JPG
IMG_3195.JPG
We've been importing the Harrop lockers for almost 4 years now and have sold hundreds as well as running them in our own vehicles.
They have been EXTREMELY reliable and trouble free. I have one in the front of my 100 ( to compliment the factory rear locker ) and my office manager Clint has them in the front and rear of his 2004 Taco. Both vehicles utilize the factory locker switch; this is also possible for any 80 and 70-series cruiser.
We had both trucks out at Pismo in the dunes this weekend and they performed flawless.
Feel free to contact me if you need more info or have questions.
Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers
Shop 209-475-8808

lockers can be added to anything but a clean truck is hard to pass up.

for the cost of taking that old beat up 80 with factory lockers and cleaning up the interior and fixing the neglected engine you could buy 3 sets of aftermarket lockers. i just will never understand why people go crazy for factory lockers.

With the introduction (and now proven capabilities) of the Harrop locker, I'd be looking specifically for an unlocked Cruiser.

Only a small percentage of Land Cruiser (U.S. issue) had the factory lockers to begin with. You will be waiting years for a clean 3X locked unit to show up for sale, most likely.

IMO, the Harrop is superior in several areas. Find a nice, clean, unlocked Cruiser and add whichever aftermarket lockers you wish.

Last edited:

for the cost of taking that old beat up 80 with factory lockers and cleaning up the interior and fixing the neglected engine you could buy 3 sets of aftermarket lockers. i just will never understand why people go crazy for factory lockers.

I completely agree.
Plus ..... the factory locker system ( electrical ) is much too complicated, can be troublesome & time consuming to diagnose. There's also limited replacement parts availability. The parts that are available aren't cheap. A locker actuator motor by itself is $400 .....

Thank you!

Great product and id say superior in most every way to oem except added cost. I definitely would not be passing up clean options juts because they are not locked.

Ok, cool. Thanks for the intel.

There are a multitude of threads about these lockers. Have you SEARCHED here on this forum?

I have. I found the thread LINUS linked before I created this post. But that thread is several years old and the info is dated. They're discussing whether the Harrop lockers will even work on an 80 series. They also get side-tracked and start bickering about the expense of the lockers (which should be considered, but not belabored). I was specifically looking for a comparison of the Harrop lockers and the OEM lockers, and I did not find many threads about that exact topic. Is there a specific thread you think should have turned up in my search?

Harrop E-Lockers get my vote. They are way more reliable and have less moving parts. Hit the switch and they are engaged, hit the switch again and they unlock. Mine has the factory e-locker and I’ve twisted the passenger rear axle shaft multiple times which results in either a locker that won’t unlock or a locker that won’t lock. The harrops do not have a collar that slides down the splines to engage so if you twist the shaft it still functions. You can also wire them up to an OEM switch for the factory look or use the switches they come with and have the ability to lock the front without locking the rear. I️ have installed them in customers rigs and they set up quite nicely. Contact @orangefj45 or @wardharris as Cruiser Brothers keeps them in stock and can answer any other questions you may have.

Great, thank you very much.

I'm pretty sure the unlocked land cruiser will handle the hills in Austin...All depends on where you're driving...

Maybe. I have a place on the lake that has some really aggressive terrain. My 4WD (unlocked) Tacoma won't make it up it. I also plan to use the truck as a vacation vehicle. Utah, Cali, Colorado, Wyoming, etc.

I have my Tacoma for the day-to-day hills of Austin. Haha!

View attachment 1606470 View attachment 1606469 We've been importing the Harrop lockers for almost 4 years now and have sold hundreds as well as running them in our own vehicles.
They have been EXTREMELY reliable and trouble free. I have one in the front of my 100 ( to compliment the factory rear locker ) and my office manager Clint has them in the front and rear of his 2004 Taco. Both vehicles utilize the factory locker switch; this is also possible for any 80 and 70-series cruiser.
We had both trucks out at Pismo in the dunes this weekend and they performed flawless.
Feel free to contact me if you need more info or have questions.
Shop 209-475-8808

Thank you, Georg! I have actually spoken to Ward before in regards to my '99 Tacoma. If I decide on Harrops, you're the first place I'll call!!!

True. I may have found a fairly clean truck that's 3x locked anyway. It has some minor rust on a door seal, and behind the bumper on the PS rear quarter, but otherwise appears to be very well maintained. The nice thing about a truck with OEM lockers is that it's already installed. There is a premium to install aftermarket lockers (and yes, a premium to buy a truck with factory lockers). I think the Harrop lockers are about $1,300 each, plus the cost of the install.

63978_B6_C_94_ED_45_DD_979_F_106_A68_E04763.jpg

Door_Seam.jpg

9_EC65_D30_B62_C_4_E8_F_BFCE_FA036238_E9_FA.jpg

A9599025_C0_B0_4_BB7_8767_3_FFD36_EDFD47.jpg

With the introduction (and now proven capabilities) of the Harrop locker, I'd be looking specifically for an unlocked Cruiser.

Only a small percentage of Land Cruiser (U.S. issue) had the factory lockers to begin with. You will be waiting years for clean 3X locked unit to show up for sale, most likely.

IMO, the Harrop is superior in several areas. Find a nice, clean, unlocked Cruiser and add whichever aftermarket lockers you wish.

I may go that route. I'm going to look at the 3x locked Cruiser above in person, and go from there.

I completely agree.
Plus ..... the factory locker system ( electrical ) is much too complicated, can be troublesome & time consuming to diagnose. There's also limited replacement parts availability. The parts that are available aren't cheap. A locker actuator motor by itself is $400 .....

True. How much is a Harrop install?

..... the factory locker system ( electrical ) is much too complicated, can be troublesome & time consuming to diagnose. There's also limited replacement parts availability. The parts that are available aren't cheap. A locker actuator motor by itself is $400 .....

+1

Why 80's from non-corrosion states are really worth the $$$, esp if someone has a chubby for factory lockers. $400 actuators are compelling on their own.

Anymore I'm after clean & nice over anything locked. I've converted both with e-lockers & ARB air, it's never going to be e-lockers again due to parts availability/$$$.

Harrops or ARB, just buy a clean 80 & frankly add a winch 1st, then worry about how you lock the axles.

Winch > lockers, IMO.

+1

Why 80's from non-corrosion states are really worth the $$$, esp if someone has a chubby for factory lockers. $400 actuators are compelling on their own.

Anymore I'm after clean & nice over anything locked. I've converted both with e-lockers & ARB air, it's never going to be e-lockers again due to parts availability/$$$.

Harrops or ARB, just buy a clean 80 & frankly add a winch 1st, then worry about how you lock the axles.

Winch > lockers, IMO.

Very good info. Thank you. I'm kicking myself now for the several unlocked trucks I passed up that were pristine!!!

Very good info. Thank you. I'm kicking myself now for the several unlocked trucks I passed up that were pristine!!!
You'll find the right 80 ......

Harrop install takes about the same amount of labor as any other mechanical locker.
The installation of the switch as well as running the wires takes 1-2 hours.

All depends on where you're driving...
I agree. It was the inference that I gleaned from your post that made me burst into laughter.

as i always tell people when i am selling 80s is that if you need a clean 80 with 0 rust and less 100K then you dont need lockers since you will obviously NEVER use it off road. If you say that you are going to "offroad" and go #broverlanding with it then you still dont need lockers but can add an aussie to the rear to make you feel better.

I have the Harrops in my 80 for two years now. They rock! on and off with a flip of the switch. I would add them again in a heartbeat. They only thing I wish I did when I had them installed was re-gear. I want bigger tires!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom