Wife's rack is sloppy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DOH! Inner tie rod ends!

Just assumed it was the worse case!

So on the list is:

Inner and outer tie rods.
I have a torn CV boot so I figure the joint is toast. So a set of CV axles
Might as well upgrade to vented and slotted rotors if I rip all that out...

How many miles on her rack? Make sure it is not leaking. If it is, I would replace...

I bought new rack around October. It was definitely not labeled as re-man, and Toyota did not have a core charge, meaning they did not want the old rack back.

Interesting comment about CVJ, I called them after I serviced my wife's rack and they sent me a shipping tag to send them the old rack off the 470. So if they don't have any on hand I am guess they sold the re-build already.

I guess so, I really wanted to buy one from them but having truck down 3-5 days even at a shop is too long. I'll buy their CVs though.

I had a leaking rack, and no OEM ones available, so I went with aftermarket, for around $700 AUD.
I kept the original rack though, as I thought I'd prefer to get the original OEM one rebuilt rather than buying another aftermarket one, if this one fails.
I've read a few reports of aftermarket ones failing, hence why I kept my OEM, but its hard to say if all the aftermarket ones, or just specific ones, have issues.
I'd do the same, go aftermarket, but keep your presumably OEM one to rebuild at some later point.

Well, Inner rod ends are pricey! Looking at $500 for the set vs $745 for a new rack with inner included.

Argh..

Well, Inner rod ends are pricey! Looking at $500 for the set vs $745 for a new rack with inner included.

Argh..
Cruiser Outfitters
100 Series Tie Rod End Kit - $187.50 (Now in Stock!)
Japanese 555 Brand - Made in Japan
Complete 4 piece kit w/OEM Toyota Jam Nuts
Fits 1/98-7/2002 IFS 100 Series Land Cruiser & Lexus LX470
Part# TRE100ETRE

100 Series Tie Rod End Kit - $187.50 (Now in Stock!)
Japanese 555 Brand - Made in Japan
Complete 4 piece kit w/OEM Toyota Jam Nuts
Fits 8/2002-2007 IFS 100 Series Land Cruiser & Lexus LX470
Part# TRE100LTRE

100 Series (1/1998-7/2002 IFS Models) Individual Ends
RH Outer Tie Rod End - Part# TRE4669195 - $37.50/each
RH Outer Tie Rod End - Part# TRE4669195OEM - $72.50/each (OEM Toyota)
LH Outer Tie Rod End - Part# TRE4769100 - $37.50/each
LH Outer Tie Rod End - Part# TRE4769100OEM - $72.50/each (OEM Toyota)
LH/RH Inner Steering Rack End - Part# TRE0369015 - $62.50/each

100 Series (8/2002-2007 Models) Individual Ends
RH Outer Tie Rod End - Part# TRE4669205 - $37.50/each
LH Outer Tie Rod End - Part# TRE4769115 - $37.50/each
LH/RH Inner Steering Rack End - Part# TRE0369025 - $62.50/each

I second Cruiser Outfitters, just completed this job. Kurt is great to work with. Quality is top notch.

So I found the smoking gun. Inner tie rod end had a lot of play, Replaced inner and outer on drivers side. Passenger side seemed tight.

How difficult was it to replace inners?

Wife's rack is not leaky, is it?

Inners are cake with the correct tool. This was the first time I had ever done tie rods and I kinda feel stupid for being afraid of it now.
I got the 555 brand from NAPA but their tool didn't fit. Oriley's Auto parts had the correct tool and I could do the job in 2 beers if I had to do it again.

Inners are cake with the correct tool. This was the first time I had ever done tie rods and I kinda feel stupid for being afraid of it now.
I got the 555 brand from NAPA but their tool didn't fit. Oriley's Auto parts had the correct tool and I could do the job in 2 beers if I had to do it again.

I'll second this. With the correct tool, it is a piece of cake. Here is what I used:

OEMTOOLS 27178 Master Inner Tie Rod Tool Set https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MS7FD62/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_dpIwAbD27THFV

Good to hear that. So which Oriley's tool did you use?

Good to hear that. So which Oriley's tool did you use?

The big green pipe with all the keys, NOT the Everest one with only 3 sizes.

Then over to the Firestone dealer for an alignment. I popped for the lifetime alignments for basically the cost of 2 alignments. I have CV service coming up and figured why not. Also they will align it if I end up with a lift kit. Most shops shy away from that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom