Builds What did you do to your Land Cruiser/Toyota/Lexus 4X4 this week? (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Front Diff opened up...

20180106_152250.jpg

Third member guts... with existing spider gears

20180106_141933.jpg

... and now with new Aussie Locker. Super easy install.

20180106_152218.jpg

I'm hoping that by being extra conscientious (a.k.a. "slow") about cleaning and repainting parts on my front hubs and axle job, that my rear main seal will stop leaking. Or I'll obtain a superpower of my choosing. Either one would be good.

selfie.jpg
hub.jpg
painted.jpg
dust covers.jpg
new rotors.jpg

Oh and...thanks murf for the help with parts!

Last edited:
Brettwilm,
Are you reusing your existing knuckles or installing new ones..., I am asking because I am hoping you also have an alignment tool that I have been trying to get a hold of...
Your parts look great as I am doing pretty much the exact same thing right now.

20180101_121809.jpg

Brettwilm,
Are you reusing your existing knuckles or installing new ones..., I am asking because I am hoping you also have an alignment tool that I have been trying to get a hold of...
Your parts look great as I am doing pretty much the exact same thing right now.

View attachment 1605504

I am re-using (albeit cleaning and repainting) my knuckles. The 80 series knuckle is shimmed only from the top so there is no need, or way to do it for that matter, to "center" the knuckle--so no special alignment tool. The only special tool I got other than the hub socket is a seal/race install tool kit from Autozone which I will return when I am finished.

seal and race kit.jpg

Thanks, I guess that I am just "privileged enough" to need a second set of shines.
Long Live the Land Cruiser!

Gah, just banged-in my lower trunion races, what a pain in the keister. Well on the bright side, your 40 will always be cooler than my 80!

It should be easier if you freeze the races first.

Thanks metro, damn, I forgot about that (rookie mistake). Hub races going in freezer now--

Ace hardware store.

The Brillo disrupts the air flow and helps capture the airborne oil that comes from the PCV. I've seen people use scotchbrite pad to perform the same function in this setup.

We are Copper State Cruisers after all :hillbilly:

Figured it was time to blow the cobwebs out of the '40!
7D_22314-small.jpg

First was replacing the manifolds' gasket
7D_16963-small.jpg

I chose Remflex
7D_16971-small.jpg

Manifolds back on & carb remounted
7D_16976-small.jpg

Closeup of the Remflex - quite meaty!
7D_16977-small.jpg

This is the part that burned out on the exhaust pipe where it entered the manifold
7D_22319-small.jpg

Working with parts store 90 & 45 degree bends lead to some interesting compromises
7D_22317-small.jpg

This last section came out truly bizarro to keep it away from the shocks & leave somewhat straight out the side
7D_22320-small.jpg

The last exhaust system I welded up for the 40 was too close to the frame and floorboard, as the PTO gear took up too much room. When I got the 40 the exhaust was run under the skidplate and about 8 inches above the ground:frown:. I managed to fit the tubing above the skidplate, but it was tight against the side frame and about an inch below the floorboard. This generated way too much heat and I almost caught some papers on fire one time.

The Orion transfer case allows much more room for a better route;)
7D_22323-small.jpg

Plenty of room at the manifold too
7D_22326-small.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom